1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seattle and Atlanta must sees?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Jan 31, 2017.

1. My employer is (incredibly) graciously sending me to conferences in both Atlanta and Seattle. I'll be in each city for three days. I arrive in Seattle on April 3rd, and in Atlanta on July 13th. I've driven through Atlanta, but have never done anything there. I've never even been to Seattle.

What are some places that are absolute must sees in each city? Microbreweries are always a welcome suggestion. Keep in mind, I'll be tied up in a conference through the daytime hours, but the evenings/nights will be mine all mine. Any suggestions are very welcome!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The very first Starbucks. The Coca-Cola factory.

This post has been brought to you by the American Caffeine Council.

Eric Perry likes this.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA

Eric Perry, Gorn and btmpancake like this.
  4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Finally a thread I'll know something about.

Atlanta - the customer service is, well, a bit gruff, but the Atlanta Bass Gallery is worth the trip for the gear. There's a HUGE microbrewery scene that's popped up in the last few years - Red Hare, Second Self, Monday Night, Jekyll, Orpheus, and the big heavy hitter of the local scene, Sweetwater. Restaurants to check out would include Peter Cheng's Tasty China (it's a little spot in an unassuming strip mall northwest of Atlanta but Cheng is a legendary chef, the New Yorker ran a great profile on him a while back), Dreamland BBQ (I would fight a man to the death for these ribs), Williamson Bros BBQ, and The Vortex. Aquarium is World-Class, too.

Seattle - Fremont and Elysian brewing are terrific. Space Needle really is worth a trip as a tourist, as is the museum of pop culture. Chinatown is worth visiting for sure, as is Pike Place Market. There's a great natural history museum on the university campus, too.

zon6c-f, tzohn and Eric Perry like this.
  5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    In Seattle, you have to spend some time at Pike Place Market. You can spend an entire day there, easily.

Eric Perry and catcauphonic like this.
  6. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    i personally don't understand the attraction to millions of people who need to see and take a selfie in front of the first Starbucks, because to me, they all look very similar. (Fun fact: That location is NOT the original ... which was 1 block down the street for the first few months.) Although, the Pike Place area itself is a must see ... so you might as well pop on by while you're there. The Pike Place Brewery is directly underneath where the famous fishmongers toss your orders in the air before packaging them. You can make a half a day of that area alone, but i think the market itself starts to shut down at around 5pm > Home | Pike Place Market.

I'll think of some others while i finish my first few cups of coffee this morning, and be back with some more suggests.

Eric Perry, GregC and Obese Chess like this.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    NO!!! Stay way from that foul temple of deceit and sugary milk.

Check out the troll under the Fremont Bridge, then roll over to Ballard for some microbrews, whiskey, and Nordic culture.
    » Ballard Breweries

-Mike

8. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    OP, where in Seattle are they putting you up? And will you have transportation of your own??

Eric Perry likes this.
  9. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Lots of great things see in Seattle Eric, Museum of History and Industry on south Lake Union is very cool, Museum of Flight at Boeing Field is awesome. PM me your schedule, maybe we can get a beer!

10. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    There's sooo many good independent coffee shops in Seattle that are better. Even the smaller chains like Pete's & Tully's serve a much better cup

Eric Perry, MJ5150 and Passinwind like this.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

These posts were NOT brought to you by the American Caffeine Council.

Eric Perry and catcauphonic like this.
  12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    For Atlanta:

The microbrewery scene is huge here. $12 gets you six pours and a souvenir glass at any brewery. Sweetwater is the biggest, but I think their beers are mediocre at best. Orpheus is my personal favorite as they specialize in sour beers. Red Brick is good too.

I'd skip the Coke-Cola factory. It's not that impressive and is really just a tasting room. The Aquarium is world class but expensive. It's worth a visit if you enjoy that sort of thing.

As far as food goes, Atlanta has just about everything, and most of it is really good. Let us know what you're into and one of us can direct you to some good places.

And for a man of your esquisite tastes, I'd suggest you consider checking out the Claremont Lounge. You'd probably get a kick out of it.

Eric Perry and Obese Chess like this.
  13. This is awesome info. You guys are the bestestest!

Regarding where I'm staying in Seattle, I'll be at Motif Seattle, just south of the Needle.

MJ5150 likes this.
  14. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    'Seattle' area - Museum of Flight at Boeing Field (south of town, close to SeaTac), Boeing factory tour at Paine Field (near Everett), Seattle Pinball Museum (near Chinatown, if you're a fan of the silver ball), any number of a hundred micro breweries who are still very much independent

Eric Perry, tzohn and Obese Chess like this.
  15. Also, anyone in either area looking to grab a beer while I'm there, hit me up. If my schedule permits, I'd love to.

catcauphonic and Rodent like this.
  16. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    You'll be staying just out of the picture to the left.

1479066126_zps8ucu6ryw.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Eric Perry, catcauphonic and tzohn like this.
  17. I could get used to that!

18. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Atlanta - make the trip up to Buckhead. Fond memories. Something for everyone there!

Eric Perry likes this.
  19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I live adjacent to both the Lenox and Phipps mall. Cool area. Super congested!

Eric Perry likes this.
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I know exactly where that's at. Maybe I'll wander up and say howdy.
    Check out Von's on 4th and Pike. You can easily walk there. Not the biggest beer selection in the world, but a cool joint with some good beers and drinks. The sourdough bread is amazing. Welcome
    Stay the heck away from the tourist traps.
    The Elysian Bar is a few more blocks away, on 2nd, but a great beer selection in a modern industrial type joint. Elysian Brewing Company - Seattle, Washington
    The really good joints aren't downtown near you unfortunately.
    Well, the Yard House is easily walk able, but that's a national chain. Still, I think they have the most beers on tap in Seattle. Location Search | Yard House Restaurant

-Mike

Eric Perry, catcauphonic and Rodent like this.