1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Second Best Instrument?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Doctor Intrepid, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Drums

2. Guitar

3. Bass

4. Voice

5. Piano

6. Wind

7. Carrots

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Here's another poll. The specific question is what is your second best instrument? When asking this I don't expect you to be a master of either the bass or anything else. I'm not! But I know many of us do, or can, play more than the bass. I even know that for some of us bass isn't our first, or main, instrument, hence why it is on the list.

For me my second best instrument are the drums. This is because I've always considered myself as part of the rhythm section.

jamro217 likes this.
  2. Perrygoround

Perrygoround

Jun 27, 2016
    For me is guitar.
    Playing guitar is also fun, allows me to communicate with guitar players on my bands (the people I need to agree with in which notes should each of us be playing) and it is also an important tool when trying to write my own songs.

jamro217 and Doctor Intrepid like this.
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Guitar, definitely. I've been playing it almost as long as I've been playing bass.

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Until the Ukulele makes the cut, I am sticking with Carrots.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i voted wind (sax) because i started there (after piano). but i don't play saxes anymore...i just know them! i'm not really a piano player either...but i know it well.

if i couldn't play bass, i'm not sure how i would 'express' my music...probably piano for writing/arranging.

6. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I wanted to put "drums" down so badly. I like playing them more than guitars but I have a bassist's understanding of the drums so few would consider me better at them. There are more musical situations I can hold my own on guitar... I am way overthinking this.

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've played acoustic guitar the longest and possibly the best, but due to injury of my shoulder, i can't play acoustic guitar at the moment. i do play electronic drums, which are lots of fun.

my husband is making me a tiny acoustic guitar like the washburn rover but with a nut width and neck profile i like, and then my secondary instrument may again be guitar. on the other hand, like i said, edrums are fun!

jamro217 and saabfender like this.
  8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Piano. It's the instrument I do most of my composing with.

9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I started on Guitar, but after 25 years of commitment to Bass, I can barely play the mini-twanger...
    I did have a lot of fun playing a semi-hollow PRS and a Fender combo amp with like 40 different amp simulations on it a couple months ago. I particularly loved the Twin Reverb sim...like the intro to Twin Peaks...
    But I don’t even own a guitar anymore...all basses.

10. cattrax

cattrax

Oct 17, 2010
    SW Florida
    Guitar would be my first and best, as I started playing guitar when I was 11 years old. Added bass as an adult. But I LOVE me some bass!

11. Supadope

Supadope

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    I am sometimes gassy.
    Voice. I’m flattered that random people have said that I sound like Jim Morrison.

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I can rip on a mandolin.

So... carrots.

saabfender, VoodooJazz and jamro217 like this.
  13. Started out on violin in fourth grade at eight, then guitar in seventh, bass and drums in ninth, keys at about seventeen. Decided writing is what I like to do most of all, playing bass is a close second. I still play guitar often and use that or the Rhodes for writing. I voted guitar because it feels as comfortable as a bass. I still struggle at keys and violin. Can't sing to save my life. Wish I had a decent voice. Sadly lacking in the independence of limbs department that is so important for a drummer. Oh, well, can't have everything. :crying:

14. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Lol, I can include that option.

15. VoodooJazz

VoodooJazz

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern California
    <your name here>
    Mandolin for me, too. More carrots. (But I wanted so badly to say Theorbo...)

It's kinda fun and funny: on rudimentary bass you play the 1 and the 3, and on mandolin (bluegrass, anyway) you play the 2 and the 4. And yes, I know there's WAY MORE than this on both instruments, but mandolin players will understand what I'm talking about.

16. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm having trouble adding that from my phone. I'll try tomorrow at work.

17. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    I'm a better singer than bassist, so voice for me.

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  18. It’s tough to say between keys or guitar. Not particularly great at either one. I’ve done some acoustic gigs playing guitar but never recorded anything other than home demos of my playing electric guitar. This is pretty old but it’s all me (guitars, programmed drums, bass, everything else I played with a 49 key midi controller) I liked the orchestra stuff I came up with but wasn’t happy with anything else

I have actually started playing keys for my band in the studio(never live) . Not great at it
    Here’s a couple of our ballads I played all the string and piano parts on

MonetBass and Doctor Intrepid like this.
  19. Stated drums not because I can actually proficiently play a drum kit but because I can sing very complex drums parts reproducing well (IMO) the sound of toms, kickdrum, snare, cymbals etc.
    Drums are in me ... I just didn’t have space and time to study them :)

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  20. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    I voted ... bass. Because I play electric upright, but I am definitely better on the electric bass guitar. Had ukulele been there, I would have voted ... bass :D

saabfender and Doctor Intrepid like this.