1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seeking help for my J-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soundtweakers, Oct 22, 2010.

1. soundtweakers

soundtweakers

Oct 22, 2010
    Hello, my first post here. I recently got a used Jazz Bass off of ebay and I have some question regarding it's electronics. It's a stock 2006 Am. Std. fitted with the S-1 Switch.

Initially when I engage the S-1 switch(series) I can notice a significant drop in volume compare to when the S-1 switch is up(parallel). I opened it up and checked the wiring and everything checked out and it seems like original factory soldering job, it also match the schematics of perfectly. The physical components of the S-1 knob and pots doesn't seems to be damaged in any way.

Then I put it in parallel normal mode, made sure I cranked the vol. knobs all the way up for both pickups and did the tapping screw driver on the magnet pole pieces test. My neck pick up produces significantly lower output. At this point I'm hoping that's the fault of the electronics, but it's possible the pickups are defective(which I have never experienced in my 15years of messing with guitars/basses).

Any suggestions?

thanks

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Nah, there's nothing wrong. The S-1 switch just isn't a good idea for a Jazz. If both pickups were humbuckers, it might sound better, but with 2 single coils it falls a bit flat.

3. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I'm not sure what you mean but my 2005 American Std. sounds just fine on both settings, with the parallel being a bit louder.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ok, that's not right. series operation on the jazz (button down) is definitely louder than parallel, and if tapping on one pickup is significantly quieter than tapping on the other, then something is very much wrong.

you might be lucky, in that american standard fender pickups sometimes lose connection right at the point where the hookup wire meets the coil bobbin.

carefully re-flowing the solder right where the leads come off the pickup can often save it.

5. soundtweakers

soundtweakers

Oct 22, 2010
    you know, you might be right, under the pick guard is the one place I didn't check. visually the inside of this bass looks very stock as if I'm the first one opening it up.

thanks for your advice, going to check the pup it self.

6. soundtweakers

soundtweakers

Oct 22, 2010
    thanks for all the advice, going to do a bit of surgery now, will report the findings.

7. My 04 as like bullhorns.

Pics of your new toy or it doesn't exist.

8. soundtweakers

soundtweakers

Oct 22, 2010
    I just swapped out the S-1 on this Jazz Bass and rewired it for Volume/Blend/Tone, the wiring checks out, all works as it should but I'm afraid walterw is right. The neck pickup is defective.

walterw, can you give me some detailed instructions on fixing this pickup?

9. soundtweakers

soundtweakers

Oct 22, 2010
    it does exist, friend. with a defective neck pickup, but still it does exist.

Attached Files:

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Not sure why it would matter. Two pickups is series, even single coils, sounds fatter with less high end. There should be a slight increase in volume, however, our ears are more sensitive to high end.

Does the pickup work OK in parallel or when soloed? If it does then it's either wiring or the S-1 switch is defective or dirty.

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Well then one can say your 04 doesn't exist either. Or for that matter, you don't exist! I don't see pictures of either. ;)

:D

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Didn't have anything to add, but wanted to agree with this post for anyone else searching in the future.

Button down on an S1 (series) will be louder with more high roll off.

13. soundtweakers

soundtweakers

Oct 22, 2010
    today I bypassed everything and wired the pickup directly to a jack, and now I'm 100% sure that the neck pickup is busted. I had a guitar tech friend/mentor work with me on it and we tried to reflow the leads with no positive result.

the seller on eBay(an individual not an store) who I bought this bass from has not replied any of my message, but afterall I still got a great deal for this bass even with a busted neck pup. Super light, made in USA, incredible feeling neck, none-existing fret wear....and I got it for less than a new Std. Jazz Bass MIM.

The added PIO vitamin Q cap is incredible. I did a quick direct recording before the cap upgrade thinking I might not be able to hear the difference...well, that recording was not necessary because the difference is HUGE!! At this point I don't really care about the Neck PUP(I should though), because the tone is soooo sweet....

I'm a firm believer now and everyone who owns a Fender should do a cap upgrade!!!

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    meh, those american standard pickups are just "okay" anyway.

the basses themselves are home runs, and well deserving of a pickup upgrade. (my '96 AS P-bass sports a fralin and just kills.)

15. soundtweakers

soundtweakers

Oct 22, 2010
    any experience with the Fralin single coil for J-basses? I obviously need a neck pick now but not sure if I should spend 20 bucks for a Fender MIM pickup or 50-60 bucks for something cheap made in USA or 90+ bucks for one of those boutique handmade pups named after the guy who wind it up?