Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sei Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    There sexy basses, bartiloni pickups, bubinga wood.

shame they cost over 1000 pounds, and dont do many 4 strings!! i want one!! :bassist: :D

http://www.seibass.com

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They do some 4 string jazz bass style ones from the looks of it... kinda boring though.

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    yeh they do 4 string jazz ones, but im not into the jazz basses much, they do have a great sound, like all jazz basses, but there a bit heavy.. and chunjky.. But they dont do much flamboyant or original sei basses...#
    :crying:

4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    All Sei Basses are custom-made, so Martin will make you a 4-string if you want one. A basic Flamboyant 4-string with Kent Armstrongs will set you back about £1300, but there'll be a 6-8 month wait. Give him a £400 deposit to start work, then that should give you enough time to save the rest!
    I myself am the proud owner of a Sei single-cutaway 5-string (with custom-wound Kents, U-Retro preamp, buckeye top, SimS LEDs and Hipshot tremolo bridge), and it's the most amazing bass I've ever played, let alone owned.

If you can get the cash together, you can't really do better than a Sei. :D

Russ :bassist:

5. Don't forget as Russ says these are custom hand made basses so IMHO for the price they are a steal.

I have two of these wonderful basses in my collection and they are all exceptional. You won't regret it if you order one I'm sure. Martin is such a great guy to deal with and really listens to what you need.

Nick

6. The guys at the bass gallery are very skilled. I like the original.

7. I might see if they could put some blue LEDs in the fingerboard of my jazz.

8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    One thing I should say, based on past experience, is that since a custom bass is an investment and generally don't sell too well on the secondhand market, make sure you get it right. Having someone like Martin from The Gallery to advise you is great, but I would say if you can see any sign in the future that you might want more than 4 strings, you'd be best off getting a 5 or more string bass made straight off so you won't feel like you've made the wrong decision.

I had a Sei 4 a few years back, lovely bass, but during the build time, I found myself gravitating towards 5-strings, so when I did get it, despite it being an awesome bass, I felt the need for that extra string. Hence me getting the one I have now... :D

9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    This thread isn't complete without pics, so here's my beauty:
    [​IMG]

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow! Beautiful.

Someone local to me was selling a Sei lightwave a while back. I was tempted!

Marshall

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fantastic. More Sei pictures would be welcome! One day I'd like to own a headless Flamboyant.

12. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Where's Matthew Foote when you need him? :D
    He's got a gorgeous 7-string fretless Sei with Barts and piezos...

Once I get a bit more cash saved, I'm having another one made... gonna be similar to my present one, slightly different woods (thuya root - yum) and probably red LEDs instead of blue!

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think they are absolutely gorgeus but the headstock is terrible, I might want a 6 string headless:bassist:

14. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    the headstocks arent that bad, cheers for the info guys.. ill email him about, and ive got a 5 string myself.. and im not into that much, so i dont think ill be changing my mind..

post more pics of your sei basses.. just so i can get an orgasm over them.

...ignore that..

:bassist:

15. wow, i didn't know SEI made a single cutaway, i love this design, and now find myself in a dilemma of either one of those or an electric upright next :)

is it a standard model, or a custom shape worked out for/by you?

cheers
    Si

16. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    He's done a few of them now, to my knowledge. It's just a variation he can do on the Flamboyant body shape. Mine was the first 5 he did in the single-cutaway design (they'd all been sixers before).

17. And mine was the first singlecut he ever did. :D

Six string headed Thuya facing, Ash body, Maple/Ash neck and Barts.

18. Ive never been a great fan Single Cuts...but they Sixer Sei sure does lo0ok nice :p....

Ive played a Few Flams in my time...and they are exceptoinally nice...not to0o keen on the Jazz's i have to say but still amazin basses...

Sei being the UK's Fodera and all..!!!

19. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Nick, do you have any other photos of your singlecut sixer? I'd be interested to see a straight-on view of the whole bass if possible.

20. Hi David

Give me a few days and I'll try and provide.
    Remind me if you don't see anything in the next few days.

Nick