1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sekova Tele Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4001Chaser, Apr 24, 2009.

1. 4001Chaser

4001Chaser

Apr 16, 2009
    I recently bought an early 70s Sekova Tele copy. I bought one new in 73 and traded it in 74 for a true Fender Precision. The Sekova was a better instrument. So is my recent purchase compared to the 73 P bass I owned. Curious who else has one of these and their opinions.

Attached Files:

2. Sekova? Where is that unit made? How does it sound? What do they cost? Where can you buy them in the states?

3. 4001Chaser

4001Chaser

Apr 16, 2009
    Mine was Japanese made in the early 70s. It plays very well and has rich fat tone. Surely there are some more of these out there.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I have one. I pretty much rank it as "firewood" :p
    On a serious note, the stock bridge isn't properly sized (too big) so the strings end up sliding off of either side of the neck if fretted too hard, the volume of the E string is non-existant, the neck is very fat and uncomfortable not to mention seated wrong in the body routing, fret job very bad with buzzes everywhere....
    That said, having been playing for 25+ years as well as reparing/fixing my own stuff for almost as long, I can pretty much rectify all of that (which is why I keep it), but my honest opinion about these things is that there are what they were intended to be - cheap starter basses that sound halfway decent and get someone going until they can afford something better like a real P -bass...

5. 69limeRev

69limeRev Supporting Member

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
    Here's my Sekova...Not a high quality piece by any stretch, but it does have it's own quirky charm!

000_1003.

6. krunchy bass

krunchy bass

Jul 10, 2008
    st.Anthony
    here is mine i love the tone of it i think im going to replace the pick up with emg

babygirl.