Selecting a vocal mic. (PV-I?)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jun 18, 2003.

1. I vote Shure SM58.

It's the world standard vocal mic and is as rugged as hell. Someone did a test one time on a range of popular mics. Part of that test was dropping them onto a ceramic tiled floor. Most smashed after (literally) one or two drops. The '58 just could not be broken, no matter how may times it was dropped: of course it still worked correctly afterwards, as well.

Best UK ££ I've seen on a new unit is £70.50 (what I paid) and brill service from that dealer, too.

John

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Supporting Member

Uh, RJ, you're a little tardy. He bought his mic over a month ago.

3. The Peavey will probably work OK for what he wants it for, for now. (And I've got tons of Peavey gear and recommend it for most everything.) But I will share my own little story: about 15 years ago I wanted to get into recording and decided I needed a couple of good mics. This was before-Internet, and at the time I didn't know beans about mics. So I went down to the local music store and let them sell me a couple of E-V PL-88's. (Not PV, E-V) Spent a couple hundred bucks on 'em, IIRC. Good mics, I guess, they still work well. But now I'm running PA for cash, and guess what mic people want? My old beat-up Shure SM-58--even tho the E-V's cost more.

This week I needed a couple more mics, so I bought a SM-58 and SM-57. I've learned my lesson.

4. Fair go, Munji.

Wasn't trying to be tardy, just didn't read the posts properly.

My fault.

But I'd hoped the bit about the test and the UK ££ might be of use to someone.

John

5. Munjibunga

RJ ~

I didn't mean tardy, as in "********," I meant tardy as in "late." No offense.

6. :DNone taken, Munji:D

But it was my fault: I really should have read the posts properly.

John

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    :confused:

For some reason I read this whole thread.
    Strange experience.

Thanks for your mic list Munji, that is useful stuff! [​IMG]

8. Munjibunga

THE THREAD THAT WILL NOT DIE!

Kinda like the wound that will not heal.

9. Arcy

Arcy Guest

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    you bought a peavey mic when you could have gotten a shure 58 for pennies more?

hrm

well... i guess i'll keep my mouth shut

:meh:

10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinois

:bassist:

11. Munjibunga

Peavey PVi - $29.99 @ MF

Hmmm ... all this Peavey bashing must've caused sales to drop at Musician's Fiend. Either that, or they've decided to sell them for what they're worth.