1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sell my 210AV for a Reeves 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jul 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    So I'm having major G.A.S for a good 1x15 cab to run with a Gries Bass 45 (B15n clone) head.

the Baer ML115, but just saw that Reeves makes a 1x15 that suppose to sound amazing!

I'm currently using two 210AV cabs and dig their tone but I'm missing a big round tone from a good 15" speaker.

Should I sell my 210av cabs and get the Reeves?

(I play a hollowbody shortscale fretless with flatwounds)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I enjoy fifteens and also have a pair of 210avs. I cannot imagine ever selling the 210 avs. By all means get a fifteen but not at the expense of the pair of 210s. They are a very special speaker.

BassGreaser likes this.
  3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Those were my thoughts as well. I really like the 210AV cabs, but last night at rehearsal the band leader asked for more low end. (I'm currently using the Micro VR head set flat).

What I really love about these 210AV is how even and punchy sounding they are.

I'm sure they will sound even better when the Gries Bass 45 comes in.

4. I would take BL comments on tone with a big lump of salt. It could easily be the room way too loud washing out the bass and BL answer to that is "more low end".

I highly doubt you couldn't EQ in whatever low end you wanted for rehearsal unless the amp ran out of juice.

BassGreaser and BadExample like this.
  5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. even though they are agreeably considered a 'medium duty' cab by most, I have found that they do like (and respond to) being pushed a bit ... I have used a pair extensively with several different GK heads, and although one MB200 is usually adequate, the cabs really come alive when I use a pair of them (MB200's) to push them, or even when I used the MB500 or the GK800RB ... might want to try another head to enhance the presence in the mix and see if that helps ... I am of the belief that in many cases when someone asks for more 'low end', they don't understand frequencies ... they just want to 'feel' the bass a bit more ...

JMHO .. as always

GregC and BassGreaser like this.
  6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That is a true statement. The rehearsal space last night was full concrete with high ceiling so the sound was very boomy. The midrange on these 210AV cabs is so natural sounding I would hate to get rid of that.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX

Two 210AV cabs do sound amazing together. I know with a tube head they will sound even fuller and organic!

8. been around that block. Sounds like any excuse for GAS then. You might want a bigger tube amp first.

Looking at your avatar. Hollow body single humbucker up at the neck and flats. Should be thumping like mad.

BassGreaser likes this.
  9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That bass does have a big round full tone and it's my #1. As for a bigger head.. The Gries Bass 45 is a close B15N clone and weighs 29lbs rated for 45watts.

Run through two 210AV should give me enough stage volume even if it is slightly overdriven. But the G.A.S. is so strong right now for a Reeves 1x15. :D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    image-jpeg.

This is the Gries Bass 45

11. You'll need a little stool for it to fit under the AV stacked vertically like JimmyM does with his V4b. Too much weight in the cabs and too top heavy with the amp on top.

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'll be putting the cabs on their sides and placing the head on top.

13. Meh. It wrecks your tone dispersion that way.

GregC, Coolhandjjl and carl h. like this.
  14. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    What is your ss hollow fretless axe? Looks cool.

15. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    image.
    Thanks! It's a custom made bass. Solid flame maple top, plywood back and sides, flame maple neck with rosewood board. The pickup is a TV Jones ThunderBlade

P.S. The bridge is Gretsch, tuner machine are Hofner and the two lower knobs are Fender Jazz bass knobs

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... you still have a stack only 11" deep, not much stability for a heavier head ... and as Downunder mentions, just does not sound the same ... I stack vertical and use a wheeled case alongside for heads ...

I think you can see it in this pic ...

Attached Files:

BassGreaser and GregC like this.
  17. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Good lord, I love it. Like if Bill Wyman and Joey Spampinato said, "let's design a bass together…." Must sound great.

BassGreaser and Tanner5382 like this.
  18. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    While I haven't played their 1X15, Reeves is the absolute bomb. Go for it.

BassGreaser likes this.
  19. This is my favourite 115 of all time. I've been playing 15s since 1975. Sure I've not tried em all. But. ..round, lush, punchy n full sounding, handle a ton of power. ... with the added benefits of looking great and weighing C.48lbs. ... and sounding superb with every amp I've used em with. ... Fender Super Bassman, Ampeg SVT-VR V4B - all tube 300watters and 100w respectively. Aggy Tone Hammer 500, LMIII, Genzler Magellan 800,Hartke LH500 to name a few.
    Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115
    20160522_103048_001_zpsbkfwbo6q.

20160518_225527_zpslrwkzm3c.
    20160212_171724_zps1sjdob1e.

And without their dress on
    20140920_122821_zpspbiaiihw.
    Great "vintage" tone imo....
    I sold my "boutique" brand cabs just coz these are that good - for me. Ymmv.

So, what I'm trying to say is. ..go for it if you like em. Imo a good 115 covers a heap of ground - figuratively speaking - but if possible, check out the Fenders.

BassGreaser likes this.
  20. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX

That is a gorgeous stack! 15s do cover a large area and that's one reason why I'm leaning towards getting a Reeves 115.