1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sell unique instrument if not in use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LennyPenny, Jan 24, 2018.

1. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    As some of you may know, I own a Maruszczyk Jake 6 which was made to order for me. There should still be a few pics of it in some Show Your Basses thread if you search for my username + Maruszczyk or something (unless I spelt it wrong back then, which is likely...).

To start from the beginning: my first two basses were a Squier VM P-bass and VM Jazz. I sort of regret selling the P, even though I now own another Squier VM P-bass which in my opinion is very special. Then I bought a used LTD B-206 (one of the flamed maple ones before they changed them to spalted maple) because I thought the 6-string deal would "give me more options and I'd never need anything else". Not long after that I had the Jake 6 made. In hindsight this was a pretty premature decision because I had little experience with basses and therefore only a very vague idea of what I really look for in a bass. I played it for a few years, until I bought that second (used) VM P-bass I mentioned, which has been my main player ever since, partly because my sound just evolved to the more vintage/classic/old-school side of the spectrum. Now when I pick up the Jake again, it feels jarringly unnatural and foreign to play. I probably could get used to it again but honestly I don't really see the point. I guess I just outgrew the whole 6-string thing. I don't even see myself ever getting another 6-er, at most I'd go for 5 but I'm so used to 4 that I'd rather just get a few different 4-strings for different purposes.

I'm not really sentimental or precious about instruments, in general I don't like to have stuff lying around that doesn't get used. If I notice that I'm no longer using an instrument as much as I probably should, I automatically start to consider selling it. However, since this isn't just any old bass, I'm not entirely convinced I should let this one go because it really is a one-off. I do have some sentimental value attached to it, but honestly at this point I'd be more upset if I no longer had the Squier (yes, it's that good). I'm considering ordering another custom Jake in the future (4-string, alder body, maple neck/fretboard, P/J, vol/blend/tone, paddle-style tuners, some kind of surf green/baby blue with mint or parchment pickguard) which would definitely get more use than my current one.

Anyway, this isn't meant as a "cast your votes as to whether or not I should sell it" kind of thing, though opinions are very welcome, mostly I'm just curious if you look at basses as being despensible/replaceable, or if you only buy really special basses (objectively unique or special to you as a player) and therefore would never get rid of any unless you REALLY had to.

Have a great day!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's an inanimate object. It's not magic. Do you need the money? Sell it. If you don't, don't.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you don’t need to sell, you’re in a pretty good place. You could put it up for sale at a reasonable price. If it sells, good. If it doesn’t sell, oh well, you don’t need to move it.

wmmj, mattbass6945, malthumb and 2 others like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Another idea is to put it up for sale for an unreasonable price. If you don't need the money and you don't play the bass, let it sit there unsold till it sells or doesn't. Most basses sold are at a loss to some extent. Let it sit there like it's been sitting there and maybe someone who's been wanting one will be willing to pay an unreasonable price. It's a win win for you.

5. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I think long and hard before I sell anything unique or that would be prohibitively expensive to replace.

lfmn16 and MobileHolmes like this.
  6. TyCobb

TyCobb

Feb 17, 2014
    Folsom, CA
    Sell? A bass? I don't understand these words.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have been and sorta still am on both sides of this issue. Several years ago I had two 6-string Hanewinckels, one fretted, one fretless. Great basses. I suck at 6-string. So I sold them. A few years later I acquired a 5-string Hanewinckel which is more up my alley.

Now, having acquired the 5-string Hanewinckel, it has all but replaced my 5-string Marchlewski in my playing rotation. That bass is pretty much one-of-a-kind and the builder (Jake, ironically) is no longer building, so there is likely never gonna be another similar to it. This means I am not likely to sell it, even though I rarely play it except at home.

Then I have another 4-string Alembic that I will never sell for strictly sentimental reasons. I bought it from one of my favorite artists. I rarely play it out. It's happened, but rarely.

If you don't think you'll ever really get use out of the Maruszczyk 6-string, sell it. If after a while you find that you miss it, buy the same bass in a 4 or 5-string that you are more likely to use. If you should choose to sell the Maruszczyk, post it at a price that you would be willing to sell at, and resist the temptation to lower the price to move it quickly. Take an "if it sells, great, if it doesn't sell, great" attitude.

LennyPenny likes this.
  8. SoonerBill

SoonerBill Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2017
    We had a water pipe break a few years ago when we were out to eat and shoot pool with some friends. After getting home and spending lots of time and energy getting everything up off the floor and drying it the best we could we made a rule we stick to religiously. If we don’t use it, it isn’t here. Doesn’t matter what it is.

9. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    If you use it regularly, then keep it. If it sits in it's case most of the time, and rarely gets used, sell it.

Use the funds to order yourself a custom, 4 string Jake.

pcake, BassmanM and LennyPenny like this.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    You've been at the point where you thought a 6 would cover everything you'd ever need and had this one made.
    My guess is, that it is a really good instrument for you especially, since it's a one off ordered by you.
    Now you're at the same point, only reversed. You're sure that you'll never go back to 6 strings.
    Who knows what the future you will think how many strings you need?
    As you advance through your life and your career as a bass player, unexpected things might pop up.

My advice would be:
    As long as you are not pressed for money, hold on to it. If you want to get another expensive bass thingie (one where you think that it will bring you forward as a bass player) and need funds, consider selling it.
    Custom made 6ers are a special market in most places, so It might take a while to flip it for a reasonable price.

wmmj likes this.
  11. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    One other thing to note is that Maruszczyk basses lose a lot of value in the used market place on TB classifieds. They are not as well known and take a while to sell. Your going to take quite a big hit if you want to sell it reasonably quickly.

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Sell it, let it be somebody else’s dream bass, not much use to anyone in a closet.

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  13. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    If an instrument isn't right for me, I sell it. No exceptions--gifts, bargains, ones with sentimental value--it doesn't matter; if I'm not using it/it isn't right, it goes. I'm a player, not a collector, so I want to own and play instruments that feel and sound right for the music I want to make.

lowdownthump likes this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

"i gotta' have that instrument!" only to find out: 'meh'. who hasn't been there and done that? it's a journey. good luck with your decision(s). :thumbsup:

all my axes are fretless...they're so unique! :roflmao:

fermata and LennyPenny like this.
  15. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    My rule for every instrument and piece of gear I own is if it hasn’t made me money or brought me some pleasure in the past six months it’s gotta go.

LennyPenny likes this.
  16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Yup.
    That's why I put my Hamer Cruise Bass 2Tek up for sale. (even though it's my wife's favorite color)

We're lucky that our gear doesn't really become obsolete however. As I closed my photo studio, there was indeed a planned yet quick purge of selling all my gear as everyday it sat in the studio was a day it became more obsolete and unwanted at any price.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    This one.

66E2B68C-B8DC-4429-86AB-3E516A972681.

LennyPenny likes this.
  18. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    ...kind of both?
    I think if you are not using an instrument you should sell it or otherwise get it out in the world to be played. They are meant to be played.
    However, if you won't get what it's worth to you then don't sell it.

tlc1976 likes this.
  19. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I'm pretty hesitant to sell anything hard to replace, even if I don't use it much. A couple of my guitars never get played, but one is semi custom with some unique features (and discontinued) and the other is a vintage piece I got for a steal, and would never be pretty unlikely to replace down the road.

FWIW, I've had a couple basses that have sat unused for long periods of time which, lately, have become my #1 and #2. Sometimes, your mood just comes around.

20. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I have a Brubaker KXB-5 Custom I was going to sell. It's still up for sale however as time goes by and I revisit it. It sounds better and better as the wood ages. Now I don't know if I want to sell it or not. I know the feeling. If I sold it and considered buying another USA Brubaker, the cost would be prohibitive. I'm not confused, it's just the cost of replacement.