1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Servicing my Firebass 700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Torque, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Torque

Torque

Jul 23, 2011
    Hey guys!!

I got a sweet deal on a whiteface Firebass 700, a Peavey 1x15 cab with a crossover, and a carvin 2x10 with BW speakers for $250 CDN at Long and McQuade last summer.

I thought the guys were crazy at the time... I went in planning on putting a GK 1001rb on my account, and walked out paying cash for this stuff. Their answer at the time was "we don't deal with Peavey *shrug"

I tried using the XLR output live once, didn't work (but I was a little drunk and was going on what the soundguy said, he saved me with a DI box). I tried hooking up the crossover to my Peavey JSX yesterday for fun. I realized why it went so cheap, but I mostly think it's dirty pots. Please advise :)

When I plug in the crossover (correctly... putting the lows into the 1x15 peavey cabinet, highs into the input on my JSX which has a XXX 4x12 hooked up), if I even so much as blow on the balance knob, it makes an ear splitting popping sound, like it's going to blow the speakers, the red button for the DDT switch comes on. It is the same ear splitting volume regardless of the master on the firebass. I am really hoping it's just dirty pots, as some other ones sound quite bad. I don't even know if the crossover is sending the signal and working correctly as whenever I try to even change the knobs enough to hear a sound difference my ******* puckers up and I worry about blowing my cabinets lol!!!

I took it apart last night and saw how dusty the pots are, and realized how open they are to the air (the face is fairly open and vented well, allowing dust). I am going to go get some cleaner right now and hope it resolves the issues but figured I'd post here incase it doesn't, and I'm sitting here wondering what to do.

At any rate, I don't NEED the crossover, as I love the sound in full range. I just want the amp fully functional when I start playing live again in the summer. Works great in my apartment for the time being :p