1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Session Bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheJacoBaco, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Hey all!! I've been searching for and asking a lot about how to make money in the music world. So any other advice on career options would be much appreciated :D

Basically I essentially know what a session musician does. But I don't really at the same time. Please try to give information that will leave me knowing how to get into session bassist opportunities, so I will actually know how to make money. From finding the standard job description to how to find clients, and anything else you can help me with. Thanks!!

2. There's been a lot of threads on this subject, but in my opinion the term "session musician" is pretty wide-ranging. The common denominator is a musician who can play whatever they are asked to play by the producer/music director. You can be asked to play nothing but roots in 8th-notes with a pick on a P-bass with flats, or you can be asked to double on upright and electric and read a complex part while playing with an orchestra for a movie soundtrack.

Check out some of the guys who are the big-name "session" guys - Will Lee, Lee Sklar, Neil Stubenhaus, Nathan East, Michael Rhodes, Pino Palladino, Jimmy Johnson, Tony Levin, Anthony Jackson, James Jamerson, Chuck Rainey, Carol Kaye, Ray Brown, Milt Hinton, etc... Take a look at their discographies to get a glimpse of the versatility required to become one of "those guys."

Also, know that becoming a session musician isn't exactly the same as applying for any other job. Most often, it's a gig like any other - you are recommended to someone via word-of-mouth, that person likes your playing and keeps hiring you and starts recommending you to others, and it snowballs from their.

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Maybe you'll need to move from Lapeer, MI to Nashville, NY or LA? The producers probably will have a hard time finding you in Lapeer.