Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Session woes/mixing help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 26, 2005.

1. So my band is in the studio recording the five songs we have, I'm a nervous snugglemuffin as always, and I got NO sleep that night. It ends up with me, the drummer and guitarist in the main room
    which is 8'x 8' and we're ****ing up even the simpilest songs for us. Of course, in all irony, our hardest song was done in one take. Sunday we're going back, recording our final song and doing overdubs and such, maybe even doing a few takes of the two songs we screwed up on. What pissed me off was that I played a P-bass on one song, and the pickups were microphonic as hell. I had to turn down the volume to REALLY dig into it.

Since one song probably wasn't as good as the others, I would like to see how it came out, but can you generally hide mistakes in mixing? I'll overdub some parts if I need to, but I don't know...

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I don't know about fixing it in the mix....maybe just take another crack at the song? Might be the quickest fix in the long run.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can fix anything except bad playing. However, not every mistake is bad. Sometimes they can add character and interest to the song. You have to decide whether your mistake is interesting or if it's just a clam. If it's a clam, recut it. Dave LaRue once told me that when you record, don't sweat it...you're just recording your playing for all eternity.

4. it's not bad playing, it's just that it was an OK take.

5. Sometimes an OK take is all your going to get. Sure, if you redo it one more time, you might get it spot on... but don't go into madness having to do it a lot of times until you think you did an adequate job (for you). As long as nothing is too bad. don't sweat it much.