1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Set lists written in stone - Help!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Alik, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Agreed. I'm always learning new songs and like to bring them into the group, and I like it when others bring stuff they're excited about in because it expands my world. A static setlist wouldn't work for me, nor would a group that's not interested in accommodating everyone's ideas.

But a) I do this purely for fun and b) I live in a big area with lots of people/bands looking for bass players. If I were full time pro musician and the band paid me as an employee, I'd play the hell out of whatever they wanted. Or if I lived in an area where there weren't a lot of working band/group options, then maybe...

Also, it's true that in general Rush covers aren't big crowd pleasers (this coming from a huge Rush nerd), but I like groups that will take a suggestion and at least try to play it to see how it sounds. Especially a fairly easy and mid-tempo tune like Working Man (although most singers I know will cringe at Rush tunes).

2. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Las Vegas
    If you expect some level of equal contribution, no. If you don't mind being a hired gun and can do a list as given, with a smile, then sure.

Alik likes this.
  3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I wouldn't judge the band by the CL add and initial response. "We don't play the new stuff" can have a broad meaning. I mean there's plenty of stuff from the late 90's to 2000's that's not considered "new" but fits in the classic rock genre stylistically....Foofighters for example....and people like to hear it. That's what it comes down to, what people want to hear. Although I love Rush to death, it's seldom on the top cover list of songs people want to hear.

I also feel someone new coming into the band needs to earn some cred first before being able to make set list additions. If you join, give it some time and suggest more modern songs more similar to what they play and what they are capable of.

jumbodbassman likes this.
  4. FunkBear

FunkBear

Jan 2, 2009
    And I would never join a band that wouldn't entertain any suggestions from a new guy. Giving a new member the opportunity to pick a few songs gives them motivation while expanding our sets. If you want to take your band seriously, feel free, but to me it's more important to have fun. If someone has earned a spot in one of my bands then they've earned a voice.

Bass Viking likes this.
  5. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I wouldn't, uh, rush into it.

6. kikaida03

kikaida03 Supporting Member

Cheers, mate! (Damn, it was a cold March... ) :)

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I've never heard a good Rush cover. I've heard a "passable" Rush cover, but most songs, the problem is going to be the vocals.

Alik likes this.
  8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    For me it's always been about the challenge/joy, the hang or the money. Lately I can even pass on the hang, at 43, father of 2, not much time for the hang unless it's kids' b-days, family dinner (yep, deep into dad band land by now, still I do the occasional sub, for the money).

Whoever pays (and given it pays enough) names the game. OTOH, if it's about personal fulfillment I better be heard, or I'm gone.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well if you just play for fun only, do it any way you wish. But even in fun bands, it can be frowned upon. Maybe you don't care...that's fine...I'm just telling you how it usually works. So don't say I didn't warn you if it backfires on you one day.

10. @Alik so what do you now have to say about all of this ?

11. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    The most misunderstood word, and the most abused word in the English language is 'politic'. People hear the word and assume a food fight between the left and right. But that's incorrect, 'Politic' simply means 'persuasion'. And 'persuasion' is a long game. You chip away, in a cordial and friendly manner. You don't walk in and expect what you want. You gotta work at it. And to do that you must respect what they are all about.

JimmyM likes this.
  12. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    Screenshot_2018-05-25-21-54-31.

13. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    What if Geddy Lee could not sing it anymore?

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well he can't. He adjusted the vocals of a few parts on the last tour or two (based on YouTube videos of those shows I've watched). That's fine. A lot of high singers do that later in their careers.

But why do a COVER of a song nobody in the band can sing as recorded?

Geddy, and other famous artists, get away with it BECAUSE they are the original performer.... and have been signing the song for decades in many cases.

I'll cut Sting some slack on early Police songs. If I go to a bar and watch a local band lowering the key drastically, or changing the part to accommodate a singer who can't song that high, I just roll my eyes and wonder why they bothered doing thay song when there are a billion other songs they CAN sing out there.

15. Very go
    Totally agree. I guess the general public (non musicians) really doesn’t care either way. However, it can be irritating and perplexing to the musical community.

FunkBear likes this.
  16. I would say if they're playing stuff you like playing, whether it's your favorite stuff isn't really that important. If you do the audition and the groove and chemistry are there, give it a shot. You can always suggestions additions or changes later...once you've proven your opinion has merit. Before that, they're under no obligation to humor your suggestions. You're just a dude responding to a "bass player wanted" ad.

17. Interesting that this thread is still running but no additional response from the OP. Hello?

Alik likes this.
  18. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    I'm reading all of your opinions,EdO; I've contacted the BL again and said we'll go on the lists when we meet this coming weekend, apparently the other guys requested that. And that's fine with me.
    The point was not getting that Rush song
    to the list but knowing if I had the option to get a song in it. A band I was in a couple of years ago had a list nobody could alter, and it was rehearsed the same way. BL would even indicate sound level to each of us! It didn't last. So as the years/bands go by one learns to avoid these problems before they happen. I asked him about how's money split and I liked his response: equally. And you know what - I learned those questions from this great site, what happened to your Last bass player, money split, adding songs to lists, even if the band is 420 friendly, (which, personally, is a no-go situation for me).
    Going back to the list, it has good songs, classic stuff I'd say, the kind of songs I grew up to listening in my older brother's stereo system; and while they're not technically challenging bass wise I think I can play those tunes easily. I guess It wouldn't hurt to learn them beforehand soooo I'm in the listening process now

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    hrodbert696 likes this.
  19. Sounds like a plan. I play a number of "easy" songs in the couple of bands I play in. One thing about "easy " songs, especially widely known popular songs. You screw up a chord change or significant riff, it sticks out IMO more from the bass than about any thing else. Nailing the groove and locking in with the drummer are fun challenges in their own rights, there is fun to be had beyond just playing clouds of notes. Just gotta put it in proper perspective.

Alik likes this.
  20. kikaida03

kikaida03 Supporting Member

Also? Simple lines = more $$ per note! :D

Alik likes this.