1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Set lists written in stone - Help!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Alik, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    when I join an existing band, I learned to only give input when asked, and be careful how you frame it

Alik and EdO. like this.
  2. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I think that's the price you pay for joining a pre-existing band rather than doing all the work it takes to start and establish a band from ground zero.
    It could be that they want you to know that this is all the gig is, or it could be that they are trying to underpromise and overdeliver so when you do get in good with them you feel a little more gratitude then you might otherwise.

3. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Too soon to tell, go meet the guys for a better impression.
    I'm not too surprised at bandmate giving a tepid reaction to Rush, Tull, etc. That ain't no "Your Momma Don't Dance"

4. Just so you know, your band is by definition 100% not a democracy then...

OP, I think it's too early to be trying to change their setlist at this time, but not too early to ask if your input would be considered in the future. Also, I'd start with something more crowd friendly than Rush - appealing to women is going to get you much farther then appealing to other musicians (minus rare exceptions)

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    EdO. and Alik like this.
  5. armyadarkness

armyadarkness Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Atlantic City NJ
    Sure it is... Why wouldn't it be?

The USA is a democracy... and yet the government can and does whatever it chooses, regardless of us... However, because we could stop them if we chose to, although we never do, it's still a democracy. Unless I'm missing something.

If the guitar player suggests covering Basket Case, and the drummer votes to accept it, but I say no because I can't sing it, then the guitar player or drummer are welcome to either sing it, or suggest another tune that I can sing.

By definition; a democracy is dependent upon everyone understanding it, respecting it, and working together within it's limitations.

However, I can see how based on my statement, you might have gotten that impression. I said that I could veto a song that everyone else wanted, but only because I couldn't sing it, not because I didn't like it. There's a massive difference there.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  6. No. The USA is a constitutional republic. That is vastly different than a straight democracy. In a democracy you would not have veto power. Majority rules, period. Which is why I always doubt when people claim their band is a democracy - the closest I've seen it come is only doing songs if everyone agrees on them, but that's unanimity, not democracy

armyadarkness likes this.
  7. armyadarkness

armyadarkness Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Atlantic City NJ
    Well I don't argue on TB, especially politics, and although I fought for our country and still do, and I retired from our government, since you seem an expert, I yield. You win. Either way, you're welcome for whatever I fought for.

8. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    my band is aslo a constitutional republic

9. I just enjoy playing music... if a band (as a whole) doesn’t agree on a particular song because a member isn’t capable of “performing” it, that’s a no brainer (to not play that song). But then again, there are some people in the world with “no brains”, unfortunately.

10. GeorgeBassPlay

GeorgeBassPlay Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Was in a similar situation. Had reservations at the beginning, didn’t like the leader much or about 1/3 of what they were playing. Was assured they’d add my song suggestions soon.

Learned their book of 30-40 songs, suggested songs and kept getting put off. The leader’s #2 kept getting new songs added.

Stuck with this for 8 months ... dissatisfaction grew, I bailed out.

Proved to myself I could learn a bunch of songs I didn’t like and played them
    Well enough. At the end of the day, sorry I didn’t follow my gut at the start of all this. Mostly because the Leader is a $hit.

Moved on and no regrets . Have fun with your Music .. don’t waste time

Alik likes this.
  11. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    When I was in this band, 3 yrs ago, I really disliked a song, Closer to home by Grand Funk, but when I learned it well it became my favorite song in the set. Yes, we can learn hated songs and prove ourselves we can do it. Our first meeting has been postponed to next weekend, and I feel that getting your voice heard is a good sign that things are going to work well. :smug: