1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seymour Duncan Apollo Jazz sound clips?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maynjo, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Hi all. I'm looking to get some hum cancelling jazz pickups, and I'd like to be able to get a fairly classic 60s jazz tone, but also be able to get more of a P bass tone. I've read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of vids on the Aguilar 4j-hc, and while they sound nice I feel they don't sound quite like a classic jazz when both pickups are on full. I'm very interested in the Duncan Apollo pickups, however the only sample I can find is the video posted by Duncan, and I believe that video is mostly favoring the bridge pickup. Anybody have any recordings or samples of the pickups centered or favoring the neck pickup? Thanks for any info.

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    I do apologize for the lack of clips from us. I know we are constantly working on new videos, so hopefully there will be more. And I hope there will be more user-produced clips, too, as those are just as important. I will say that I really like the way the Apollos sound- like a quiet, vintage Jazz bass.

Maynjo likes this.
  3. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Thanks for the response. Yeah, I mean I've always loved Duncan's, but unfortunately there is no way to test pickups without installing them or finding a video online first, and for whatever reason there is a complete lack of user recorded videos of them.

4. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    What about someone (me) wanting a more 'moden' jazz sound? By that I mean a rounder, growlier, sound, with more bottom, stronger fundamental, and less 'open' vintage sound?

5. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Well, the Apollos are pretty open and vintage-y to me. Maybe a tiny bit rounder with slightly more power...but certainly not growly. You my have a look at the Hot Stacks if you want that.

6. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    what about quarter pounders?

7. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Quarter pounder are my favorite, but they are a lot darker and beefier. IDK if modern is the word I'd use for them. Tons of punch.

8. stealth94rt

stealth94rt

Jul 8, 2012
    I'm also looking at the Apollos for a 2003 MIM Fender Jazz Bass V (5-string). For me, the decision is between those and the Aguilar AG 5J-HCs. I would like to understand how the Apollos are wound -- are those two individual coils end-to-end in one housing (like the Aguilars)?

I also wish there were more online demos of the Apollos.

9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State

10. stealth94rt

stealth94rt

Jul 8, 2012
    Yes, Slater, I have seen that one, thanks! It is a good demo.

11. Aiden1382

Aiden1382

Dec 6, 2018
    I have a 2018 Mustang PJ Bass with stock pups. I’m looking for a punchy bass tone that growls. In your opinion what would be a better punk rock pup the Quarter Pound Jazz bridge or the Apollo Jazz bridge? If it’s the Apollo what P bass pup would pair well with an Apollo Jazz bridge pup? Thank you

12. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    I don’t actually have experience with the Apollo’s, but I do love quarter pounders. However, in this instance I would probably try a quarter pounder p bass pickup in the neck and an Apollo jazz in the bridge, that way you have hum cancelling. I would focus the p pickup and dial in as much of the jazz pickup as you need for some extra zing. Nothing beats a P pickup for punk rock, and the quarter pounder is basically made for it. The reason I don’t recommend the quarter pound in the bridge is A. It’s not hum cancelling, and B it’s just a bit dark and won’t contrast the P pickup very much. Of course this is just all my opinion and whatever works for you works for you. Good luck!

tomich and Aiden1382 like this.
  13. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    For punk, I'd choose the Quarter Pound every time. The Apollo has more of a vintage Jazz bass sound and won't do the punk thing well without a boost somewhere down the line.

tomich and Aiden1382 like this.
  14. Aiden1382

Aiden1382

Dec 6, 2018
    I heard quarter pound J pups hum is there a way to prevent that?

15. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Good shielding helps. You can also try the Hot Stack Jazz for hum-free operation (and a hot sound).