1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SG & EB Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bent77, Nov 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Thank you for the number! I actually had the EB for a year or so and just recently saw that there was a club for it :D. But yeah, I've been having fun acquiring new babies ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    mrb327 likes this.
  2. Rsword

Rsword

Aug 5, 2015
    Thanks!

I came up with the thought that it would be fun to know what kind of gear and style you use for your EBs and SGs!
    Right now I'm really in to 60's pop/rock/psych:ish kind of music(Beatles, Zombies, Doors, Van Morisson etc. Even some more garage nuggets style, gotta be out there man ;) ), hence why I got the TI flats on and started to use a pick again after years of neglecting this utterly wonderful tool(it's just so super fun(!!!) and makes me think in other ways when I use it!)! The foam-at-the-bridge-trick gets its fair time, huge old school RnB fan(read Motown), so much that I'm thinking of finding a mute to put on! Besides that it's fairly simple, no rigg yet(Ibanez soundwave35 hehe...) except for my Zoom B3, which I love, and no "real" band to play with, I do atend jamsessions though!
    I'm positive that I missed some stuff, but nothing comes to mind now!

What do you use with your EB/SG, and why?
    There's so much we can learn from each other without doing all the "trial and error:ish" by ourself!:thumbsup:

I do by no means intend to highjack the thread, forgive me if it came out like it. :D

mrb327 likes this.
  3. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Thats no hijack at all, thats good socializing right there.
    I play a lot of the same style you do, with some early country thrown in for good measure. I am using DaDarrio nylon tape currently, but also like rounds on my SG. I have not yet acquired the talent of using a pick, so I am of no use there.

Theres a pic of my rig right above your post on the last page, too lazy to repost it at this moment :)

4. Here's my 1969 EB-3. It's all original, including the chrome pickup cover and the cool sliding mute on the bridge.

image.jpg

5. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    It really took me awhile before I took the stock strings that came on my SG off.I loved those strings and put them in a zip lock bag incase I want to put them back on in the future.I got D'Addario nylon tapes on it now.Think they are D'Addarios anyway.I'd have to dig out the pack to make sure.

I play alot of Southern Rock and 60's rock with mine cause it has such an awesome thump to it with the tapes.

Gear wise,I been playing alot lately with my Eden Wtdi.Leaving the big cabs at home.

I have been using a pick a little more here lately.

6. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Sweet, i love seeing EB0s!

We welcome you to the club as #60!

7. Thanks for the welcome! One minor correction to your message --it's a two pickup EB-3 rather than a one pickup EB-0. For some reason, Gibson chose to hide the bridge pickup under a chrome cover in 1969. :)

mrb327 likes this.
  8. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I was so excited for and oldie i forgot what i was doing!

jazz Bass 74 likes this.
  9. RockinRonnie

RockinRonnie carpe diem Supporting Member

I also have a 1969 EB-3. My chrome cover and every other one I have seen is over the bridge and mute. I think that your cover may have been relocated over the pickup at some time in the past.

DSC03495.jpg

jazz Bass 74 likes this.
  10. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Thought you sold this one Ron.

11. RockinRonnie

Not sold yet... still mine for now ;)

mrb327 likes this.
  12. Ron,

I agree the most typical spot for the cover is over the bridge, but there is no sign of any holes near the bridge on mine which would suggest the cover was relocated. I found this picture of a slot headed 70 EB -3 with the cover over the bridge pickup, so maybe Gibson was transitioning to that location in late 69:

image.jpg

zontar likes this.
  13. Then there is this 67, which has the cover over neither the bridge nor the pickup!

image.jpg

u47telefunken, mrb327 and zontar like this.
  14. RockinRonnie

Hmmm... You've got me wondering now. Could it be the covers were included but not attached, so the dealer or owner could place it where they wished. I think that is the way vintage Fenders are sold today.

mrb327 and jazz Bass 74 like this.
  15. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    That's how I normally see them, but then I have seen them over the pickup--I think those, as well as the example jazz bass 74 posted may have been put there as thumb rests...

mrb327 likes this.
  16. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Here's my old MIJ lawsuit bass that I just refinished with a burst:

GEDC0093.jpg GEDC0094.jpg GEDC0095.jpg

Thread over at the LC found here

zontar, hopsbb, SlimS and 1 other person like this.
  17. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    The refinish looks pretty decent!

I shall add you to the club and call you, #61!

18. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Thank you!

mrb327 likes this.
  19. bostrowskij

bostrowskij

Dec 31, 2008
    Boden, Sweden
    My Orville EB3 1990 Orville_EB3.jpg

zontar, SlimS and mrb327 like this.
  20. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Sweet, i knew Orville made Tbirds, but I have never seen the EB version!
    Welcome to the club #62!

Son of Wobble likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021