Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shaping a neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by full_bleed, Jan 8, 2006.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I've been trying to think up a way to shape a neck other than the the typical way using rasps and whatnot out of fear that I will horribly screw up and have a useless pile of neck crap. Is it possible or feasable to simply make a mold of a neck that I already have and strap some sandpaper to the inside of the mold once it's hardened? After you have very very roughly shaped neck you could then start sanding with the molded shape into the neck.

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    You haven't lived until you have screwed up a neck. :smug: Go for it! :D

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    would mdf be an ok material for practice on shaping a neck?

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    No it won't cut or carve like real wood....t

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Get yourself some scrap maple or something. Agathis will work too, plus it's cheaper. Almost any hardwood will do.

6. +1

if you're going to learn how to be a luthier, you must also be a woodworker. In order to do that, you must be experienced at working with ... ummmm ... WOOD! :)

don't be afraid of your projects...embrace it!

7. I agree. I've just started my first thru neck. I've glued up the laminates for the neck and this morning I attacked it with a bandsaw to taper it and shape the headstock (not scarfed, that can wait until the next one!!! this one is straight like a strat...)It's now ready for the files, rasps, & power sanders.......

Oh yes and the router to cut the truss rod slot.

Go for it, you've nothing to loose but a lump of wood!!! It's not a guitar untill the strings are on it!

8. unless...of course, it's a wishbass :D

9. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    then it's a discussion piece.

10. And an experience earner!!

As a followup to my earlier post I can say I'd forgotten how good it feels to be let loose with a spokeshave!!!

Pull ALL your fuses and forget using power tools!!!

I LOVE THIS!!!!

In gfact I'm going to live in the woods!!

11. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I hate you all.
    Man I wish I had my own shop instead of a kitchen table in a small boston apartment... :bawl:

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That's not insurmountable. JP basses are made in a smal French apartment, IIRC...

13. There is indeed something very cool with peeling back the curls with a good sharp spokeshave. I've just finished my first neck-thru and I'm amazed at how well the spokeshave works, once I got used to it going wacky on the figured maple. ;) But really it's so control-able and very even, now I wish I had one wide enough to do the whole neck from the back. Then using a random orbital sander the smoothing and shaping becomes very easy, well allright relatively easy. :)
    Like it was said before it's only wood, just do it!
    Dirk

14. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    At least in Chile, I haven't met a single luthier that has a bigger space than a 3m by 3m bedroom - and that includes a painting cabin and a closet for hanging instruments with fresh paint to dry ;)

15. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    If I even had that I'd be quite happy. *le sigh*
    "My" part of our apartment is my desk in the corner of our living room with my computer on it. That's about the only part I can claim as my own. And I get in trouble when I clamp stuff to the table even if I pad the clamps.

Anyway, sorry to derail this thread. heh.

16. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Who do you share your apartment with?

17. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    girlfriend of 7.5 years. :D

18. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Doh! I share my house with my girlfriend of 3.5 yrs...it is a challenge at times...

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I screwed up enough necks that i recently invested in a very nice shaper.... Now all i have to do is run my neck through it and the neck is pretty much shaped...

20. By shaper, do you mean a shaper/router table? I ask because I always thought that I could get a round over bit with a big enough radius and just do each side of the back of the neck by holding it up to the fence and making a couple of passes. Then you would have a basic shape to go from.

Am I wrong?