1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Share Your Christmas Menu

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cronker, Dec 23, 2016.

1. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    here in Australia, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving so Christmas is our big family get together.

Since I have lost all my family except for my father and my partner, it's a three top dinner. And since I love to cook, I'm always the designated driver in the kitchen.
    So this year it's:

Prawn cocktail entree - throwback to the 60s classic, with homemade sauce, shaved iceberg lettuce, salt n pepper in a funky serving vessel.

Roast Chicken - a family classic done as closely to my dearly departed mothers recipe as I can.
    Involves baby carrots, potatoes and peas with my personal recipe sauce. Stuffing involves my own recipe, with walnuts and sultanas.

Christmas Trifle - a favourite of my partners (and me too) favourite. Italian biscuit in port wine jelly, topped with custard, then another layer of jelly and fruit, topped with whipped cream, more fruit and grated chocolate.

What say you?

DirtDog, saltydude, GregC and 2 others like this.
  2. Manichga

Manichga

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    Vomit

3. Manichga

Manichga

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    Full heavy hot lunch. Perfect on a Melbourne summer day that will get to 35 degrees celsius. Not.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Looks like it's going to be Indian buffet.

47th Street and Funky Ghost like this.
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    we're going simple this year. these tasty vegan chicken strips smothered in brown gravy, baked potatoes with sour cream and butter, corn, a green salad and my husband and son will have punkin pie. this will be accompanied by martinelli's sparkling cider :)

6. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Lol@ vegan - chicken strips

Vegemite is awesome, but not a desirable taste in Christmas food.

@jeffscott - big family?

Jeff Scott likes this.
  7. This started 20 some years ago when Seahag (my lovely wife) and I lived about 15 minutes from the Wash. D.C. wharf (known for its fresh seafood.)
    Lobster stuffed with crab imperial.
    Asparagus with hollendaise sauce.
    Biscuits (more butter and hollendaise.)
    Baked potato with sour creme , bacon bits and lots of butter.
    Apple pie for desert.
    Sparkling cider or wine......or both.
    This started out on a whim one year when we tired of the traditional holiday fare. When we told friends and family about it , the requests for invites started coming in. We usually had 4 or 5 over to share the bounty after that. I remember one year setting 13 places at the table. That was an expensive dinner.
    When both of the kids got old enough to appreciate it , we started having lobster races before dinner.
    Alas , the kids are grown now and my son had moved away , so he won't be here this year. I think this will be the first time in his life he will miss out on the yearly dinner. My daughter still lives in the area and will be bringing her boyfriend so 4 settings at the table this year. Not sure about the lobster races though.

47th Street and saltydude like this.
  8. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Simple Christmas this year, one of us is unable to come home--active duty calls. My wife and daughter are preparing some family favorites:

Prime rib
    Baked sweet potatoes and regular potatoes
    Green bean casserole
    Dutch Apple pie
    And they probably have some other stuff on the menu that they want to surprise me with

I'll be enjoying a shot or two of Kentucky bourbon.

Should be a nice day.

47th Street and saltydude like this.
  9. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    So jealous. Merry Christmas TB!!

I'll be dining on Doritos this year. Yup not joking. Bon appetite! It's all good. I'm still blessed in many other ways.

10. Xmas dinner number one will be a standard turkey dinner with chicken liver stuffing, mashed taters, carrots and green beans. As a the cook, I don't do dessert... to my mind, dessert takes up too much space that could be filled with real food. I'm feeding twelve.
    Xmas dinner number two, on Boxing Day will be dinner for fourteen and consist of 15 lb Prime Rib roast, gnocchi with mushrooms in a Gorgonzola cream sauce, steamed veggies and home made Caesar salad. I have no idea what they are going to bring for dessert! Appetizer will be one pound of butter, slowly heated on the stove with four heads of garlic. Makes a great dip!
    Fishheadjoe

cronker likes this.
  11. Steak
    Baked potato
    Green beans
    Coca Cola (aka nectar of the gods, along with coffee)

We are simpletons.

12. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Since it's just going to be my 14 year old daughter and I this year I let her pick the menu. It's ..... interesting.

Beef stroganov - for her, that's it. This is all she wanted

I'll add in pickled Julianned (sic) beets for me and oven roasted brussels sprouts.

Snack wise for myself I'm going with cherry peppers, cream cheese and pumpernickel bread. For her it's plain tortilla chips with Velveeta in a fondue pot.

For desert she wants banana splits. I'm down with that :)

Pretty easy all the way around. All home made, but all pretty stinkin' easy.

13. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Starters:

Main: Roast turkey, roast potatoes, roast pumpkin, gravy, leek sauce, Yorkshire puddings

Pudding: Mince pies & Ice cream

cronker likes this.
  14. Funky Ghost

That stuffing looks great! I'd give it a go.

Ox Boris likes this.
  15. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Gonna keep the Xmas menu simple this year.

fattire_l.
    jim-beam-bourbon.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  16. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Burgers on Mac & Cheese buns and bacon wrapped onion rings. I'm Calling it the TB Heart Attack Special (TaBaHAS.)

Funky Ghost likes this.
  17. Thanks-Giving is our big meal holiday.
    Sometimes it's the little things that make the meal.
    In our case it always is my dear departed Mother's turkey gravy.
    It was so good, it could turn tofu into a treat.
    Fortunately, Mom passed her gravy on to my wife, who nails it.
    She, in turn, is passing it along to my daughters.

W.S. Europa is passing through here today, we've been getting numerous mentions on the Weather Channel.
    However the Christmas Day forecast is for 56 deg. f. and rain.
    No white Christmas this year!
    Not a big deal except we are 550 miles East of Denver and 190 miles North of Kansas City.
    Normally, cut tha temp in half and change rain to snow.

Happy Holidays to Everyone on TB.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  18. Funky Ghost

What, no TNC?

sissy kathy likes this.
  19. Funky Ghost

Happy holidays to you as well :)

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  20. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member