1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

She-Ra's Shed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by She-Ra, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Rilence

Rilence

Jan 20, 2019
    Geelong AU
    Fantastic stuff She-Ra ;-)

I'm currently in-between teachers myself at the moment, just revising what I learned with previous teacher, learning new songs & anything else that takes my fancy. Reading your thread & logs has given me a bunch of fresh ideas to learn/practise until I find a new teacher.

Thankyou :)

She-Ra likes this.
  2. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Week 38/2019 Goals

Electric Bass:

• Fretboard
      • SBL Continuous Arpeggio Ex - Autumn Leaves
      • Kurt's Continuous Arpeggio Ex
      • Named maj7 & dom7 arpeggios (play the arpeggio AND name each note that spells it)
      • Continue practicing arpeggio shapes (maj7, dom7, min7, m7b5), linking around the board
      • Continue practicing major/natural minor scales & maj/min pentatonic scales across the board
    • Technique
      • Bass Hanon 4
      • Bass Aerobics Workout 4
      • Focusing on muting technique for low B - I'm doing well muting as I play the other strings, but sometimes I miss it, or my thumb only makes temporary contact with it, and it starts resonating
    • Groove & Time
      • Practice playing note length from downbeat to e/&/a/whole note
      • Practice starting on various breakdowns of the note - 1, 1e, 1e&, 1e&a, e, e&, e&a, ea, etc....
    • Theory
      • Chord Tone Concepts: Vol 1 (as a review)
      • Harmonic Layering: Scales & Modes module
      • The Groove Formula - Rhythm & Groove Development Module
      • Blues Bass book by Ed Friedland - continue studying from it
    • Genre Studies
      • Lots of songs from my 'Blues Studies' Spotify playlist
      • Blues feels: straight, shuffle, rhumba, 12/8, march, jump, boogie-woogie, slow
      • Blues techniques: walkups, turnarounds, intro's, outro's
    • Transcription
      • No real goals for transcription this week aside from listening to a lot of blues and identifying what kind it is, what the bass is doing, etc.

Double Bass

• Technique
      • Long tones with the bow - focus on bow speed and playing the fundamental
      • Open string exercises from Evolving Bassist AND Simandl
      • Focus on physical posture - relaxation is important
    Notes:
    • I'm going to eliminate the "Reflections" section from the log. I don't think it's adding anything because most of those thoughts are captures in the daily notes sections.
    • The flu knocked me out of practicing shape, so I'm going to focus on getting back into my regular rhythm with that.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    juggahnaught and Rilence like this.
  3. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Tuesday's Log

Double Bass
    • -
    Electric Bass
    • Watched & took notes on Lesson 5 - 10 of Rhythm & Groove Development module
    Notes:
    • I burned my fish today when I pan fried it and my apartment smells. This has nothing to do with music and yet, I feel like I need to include it. lol

Rilence and juggahnaught like this.
  4. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Tuesday's Log
    (Continued; for some reason, I can't edit my last post. :( )

Double Bass

• Open string exercises - 20
    Electric Bass
    • Watched & took notes on Lesson 5 - 10 of Rhythm & Groove Development modu
    • Hanon 4 - 15
    • Workout 4 - 15
    • Scales - 15
    • Blues Bass review - 40
    • Continued Arpeggio Ex - 20
    • Named Arpeggio Ex - 20
    • Arpeggio practice in all positions - 20
    Notes:
    • It seems that there's a time limit on editing posts - but it seems uncertain how long that time limit is. Hmm. That's inconvenient. I thought I could update the posts (including original post, yearly goals, etc) as I went along. That throws a wrench in my plans. I'm definitely going to have to rethink this. :/
    • This also means that the time tracker on the original post will be woefully wrong, eventually. Maybe I'll do it at the bottom of these posts? I'll try it out see how I feel about it.
    Tracker: 47.5/10000

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  5. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    *whispers* add it to your signature :)

6. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Wednesday's Log

Double Bass

• -
    Electric Bass
    • Hanon 4 - 10
    • Workout 4 - 10
    • Major Scales - 10
    • Kurt's Continuous Ex - 10
    • Named Arpeggio Ex - 15
    • SBL Continuous Ex - 30
    • Blues Bass continued study - 30
    • Groove practice - 30
      • Starting on different parts of the beat
      • different note lengths
      • 160/80/40bpm exercise
      • Dropped bars on metronome ex
    Notes:
    • I'm really starting to get arpeggios. I'm spending a lot of time on them, it seems, like, but it's the bread and butter of bass playing so I really want to get them down.
    • I finally got my Mono Vertigo gig bag, so now I don't have to cart the huge ABS plastic case that came with the bass.
    • So I made a thing today, after spending a lot of time researching and deciding and auditioning. I made a pedalboard. It sounds.... terrbile...ly great! HAH! I'm setting aside time as well because I need to learn how to use the stuff, but essentially I'm set for the next few years for doing any kind of gig that I'm interested in. Anyway... a picture:
    IMG_1241.

Practice Tracker: 50/10,000

7. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Wednesday's Log

Double Bass

Electric Bass
    • Hanon 4 - 10
    • Workout 4 - 10
    • Major Scales - 15
    • Major/Minor Pentatonic Scales - 10
    • Kurt's Continuous Ex - 10
    • Named Arpeggio Ex - 15
    • SBL Continuous Ex - 40
    • Blues Bass continued study - 30
      • Rhumba is a lot of fun!
      • Intros & endings
    52.5/10,000

8. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Saturday's Log

Double Bass

• -
    Electric Bass
    • Hanon 4 - 10
    • Workout 4 - 10
    • Major Scales - 10
    • Pentatonic Scales - 10
    • Arpeggio shapes - 20
      • In all starting positions covering from the top to the bottom of the note.
    • Kurt's Continuous Ex - 15
    • Named Arpeggio Ex - 15
    • SBL Continuous Ex - 1:30
    • Repertoire practice - 1:30
    Notes:
    • Today I also spent a good hour noodling round on my bass with some of the Lumbeat drum machine apps. Made some cool basslines. BUT, I need to focus more on making them groove rather than just having interesting notes. Some parts grooved, but others didn't.
    • I also spent a good hour playing around with my pedalboard - testing sounds, setting levels, experimenting. There's lots more to discover but I have a rough idea now on how every knob on the board impacts my sound sound. I'm going to spend more time on it, but I'll also make sure that the majority of my practice is straight through the amp, rather than with the pedalboard. I want to make sure my basic sound is clean, articulate, groovy.
    • I spent nearly 5 hours on the bass today. Whew! Lots of fun but I am le tired.
    56/10000

9. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Week 39/2019 Goals

This is it. This Friday, I'm gonna head out to the Blues Jam and try my hand at it! Excite!

Electric Bass:
    • Fretboard
      • SBL Continuous Arpeggio Ex - Autumn Leaves (Begin moving to other positions)
      • Named maj7 & dom7 arpeggios (play the arpeggio AND name each note that spells it)
      • Continue practicing arpeggio shapes (maj7, dom7, min7, m7b5), linking around the board
      • Continue practicing major/natural minor scales & maj/min pentatonic scales across the board
    • Technique
      • Bass Hanon 5
      • Bass Aerobics Workout 5
    • Groove & Time
      • Practice playing note length from downbeat to e/&/a/whole note
      • Practice starting on various breakdowns of the note - 1, 1e, 1e&, 1e&a, e, e&, e&a, ea, etc....
    • Theory
      • Harmonic Layering: Scales & Modes module
      • Groove Formula: Applying Harmony to Rhythm
    • Genre Studies/Transcription
      • In preparation for Friday, I'm gonna just set Spotify wild on blues songs and try to play along with them by ear

Double Bass

• Technique
      • Focus on also NOT looking at the strings as I bow on them
    Notes:
    • Hey, I've been playing bass for a month! And I've come a long way. I'm expecting things to slow down now, as I really start to get into the nitty-gritty and really internalize stuff along the way. That's to be expected - like any skill, when you start something, you make huge strides at the beginning and get excited about them. Often, people stop after the first month because things really do slow down as you start the endless cycle of "learn - practice - slow down during internalization - plateau - breakthrough" that every skill experiences when you're trying to improve. I'm actually quite happy to be hitting this wall, because it means that the real work is really starting off. Furthermore, I know what to expect, I know how to deal with it, and best of all, I don't have to worry about "losing motivation" or "not feeling motivated" and getting tripped up over that because I have something much more valuable and useful: discipline.

10. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Tuesday's Log

Double Bass

Electric Bass
    • Kurt's Continuous Arpeggio Ex - 10
    • Hanon 5 - 15
    • Workout 5 - 15
    • Major scales - 5
    • Arpeggio shapes - 15
    • Major Pentatonic scales - 5
    • Minor Melodic/Harmonic/Natural Scales - 40
      • Learned each starting off 1, 2, 4th finger
      • Learned as tetrachords, as well as scale formula
    • SBL Continuous Arpeggio Ex - 30
    • Groove internalization - 20
    • Transcription - 1:00
    Notes:
    • So, um, I may have scored a gig through my bass teacher to sub in for the bass player in a band for one show. I have to transcribe 9 songs by October 15th(ish) and practice the heck outta them. Don't know if I have it yet, but I'm gonna do the transcription anyway, because it's really useful for developing that skill anyway.
    60/10,000

11. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Wednesday's Log

Double Bass

• -
    Electric Bass
    • Watched
      • Groove Formula - Applying Harmony to Rhythm L1
      • Harmonic Layering - Scales&Modes
        • Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor
    Notes:
    • Really long and exhausting day at work today. I'm completely mentally drained so, while I've played the bass for three hours, I'm not considering it practice as I didn't really focus on anything. I just absentmindedly played around all sorts of stuff I've been doing in the past month.
    • Transcribed 1 of the 9 songs yesterday - there's one part where the bass can't be heard clearly but you can hear they do something so I'm just kinda making my own fills there. Gotta really work on these and get them done ASAP to practice them before the rehearsal (whenever it is, if I get the gig).
    60/10,000

12. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Thursday's Log

Double Bass

• -
    Electric Bass
    • Hanon 5 - 5
    • Workout 5 - 10
    • Minor scales (natural/harmonic/melodic) - 20
    • Tetrachord Study - 20
    • Named maj7 - 15
    • Transcription - 1:00
    Notes:
    • Well I have the gig, it looks like and so I need an amp. Well, I've known what I wanted to buy for a while now - I'd tested a bunch throughout my bass shopping experience and also have done a bunch of research. So I went today to pick up a MarkBass NY122. I was debating between the 102 and the 122, but after listening to them side by side... there was just no comparison. So I don't have a lot of time to practice today. And that's how this happenend:
    IMG_1251.
    • Also, the rehearsal for the gig is gonna end up being on the 12th it looks like, so I have less than two weeks to transcribe and nail these songs! I've gotta get cracking!
    • I'm also excited about tomorrow, I'm gonna head to the blues jam and try and get in on a few songs.

13. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    What songs are you working on?

Really dig what you are doing, very inspiring to read!

Stumbo likes this.
  14. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    @crucislancer Thanks man. This log is really keeping me accountable and working hard. And it's a great way to really reflect on what I've been doing and where I'm going.

I'm doing Born on the Bayou by CCR, as well as the band's other originals. The other songs are in a private Soundcloud which I'm of course not going to link because I don't have permission, but the songs are a lot more rock&roll than the singles. Overall, the stuff isn't difficult per se, just gotta make sure I've got it down pat. haha

Stumbo and crucislancer like this.
  15. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Congrats on the Markbass! Good luck with the gig!

She-Ra likes this.
  16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    So which amp will you be using with your cab?

17. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    I have a MarkBass Little Marcus 800 that I found a while ago for a steal of a price. So I feel set!

Rilence and juggahnaught like this.
  18. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Week 40/2019 Goals

Electric Bass:
    • Fretboard
      • SBL Continuous Arpeggio Ex - Autumn Leaves (Begin moving to other positions)
      • Named maj7 & dom7 arpeggios
      • Continue practicing scales around the board
        • Major, major modes, min mel., min harm., pentatonic
    • Technique
      • Bass Hanon 5
      • Bass Aerobics Workout 5
    • Groove & Time
      • Practice playing note length
      • SBL Clapping Rhythm exercises
    • Theory
    • Genre Studies
      • Blues
    • Transcription
      • Finish transcribing songs for the gig

Double Bass

• Technique
      • Focus on also NOT looking at the strings as I bow on them
    Notes:
    • My goals this week are really twofold.
      • I've been doing a lot of theory work and I need to spend more time practicing it rather than covering new ground. So I'm gonna sit on a lot of the stuff I've been doing for the past two weeks and continue solidifying it as I don't feel like it's in my hands yet
      • Transcribe and practice all the songs for the gig so that next week, I can practice them each day before the rehearsal on Oct 12
    • I went to the Blues Jam on Friday but didn't get to sit in as there were a lot of regulars that got called up instead. That's ok. I sat and listened and got a better idea of what's going on. I won't be attending this Friday as I have a bass lesson, but I'm definitely gonna keep at it.
    • This week I am pretty busy so I will have less practice time. I'm going to heavily prioritize scales, arpeggios, and transcription over anything else. Not learning anything new will help with time management.
    • This past weekend, I played around for maybe an hour a day (darn social engagements!), but it wasn't practice so I did not count it.

19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

20. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Tuesday's Log

Double Bass

• -
    Electric Bass
    • Arpeggios - 10
    • Tetrachord Study - 15
    • Minor chords (nat, mel, harm) - 15
    • Transcription - 1:30
    Notes:
    • So I transcribed all but one song. I'm still not playing them very well, but I'm confident now that I'll at least show up knowing the stuff - which is really half the battle, no?

64/10,000