1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shielding issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Liberator, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Liberator

Liberator

Jul 25, 2012
    Colorado
    I'm new here, so forgive me if I should have posted this in another section, but anyway...
    I have an issue with a buzzing sound. When I touch the strings, the buzzing reduces significantly, which leads me to believe it needs shielding (there is none that I am aware of) but, when I turn the volume on the bass all the way up and the tone all the way down to one, the buzzing pretty much quits. If I have the knobs in any other position, the buzzing resumes, even when touching the strings. Does this also have to do with the lack of shielding?

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Check and make sure you bridge is grounded. Should be a smaller bare solid core wire coming into the cavity near the bridge and it should be soldered to the main sleeve ground of the jack. Shielding won’t do anything if your bridge isn’t grounded.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

+1 the buzz should reduce when you touch the strings. And yes turning the tone down will nearly remove the buzz, the ground still needs attention though.

4. Liberator

Liberator

Jul 25, 2012
    Colorado
    OK, so I checked the bridge grounding wire and everything seems good there, so could it be the jack?

5. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Im waiting for an answer too since ive been asking for help on this subject for about 2 weeks now.
    Im still stumped also on how to get rid of it.I can hear the buzz even at the lowest levels.
    Im going through everything though.From outlets to leads to cabs to basses to find it.
    If it leads me back to the amp im not gonna be happy.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

So the buzzing reduces when strings are touched. Perfect. Shield the cavities if they aren't at least painted and good luck. Welcome to single coil hum land.

7. oi_pride

oi_pride

Jul 2, 2009
    concord, nc
    Endorsing Artist: Knucklehead Strings
    i'd say yes if you've had the jack replaced. if you have then make sure the tip and sleeve are contacting with the right terminals.

8. I just had my first experience with this a few days ago - I picked some adhesive aluminum foil tape (copper was recommended but I couldn't find any) and applied it to the back of the pickguard and inside the control cavity - the buzz is almost entirely gone now.

9. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    But what about when the Humming is only from one hum bucker... the one by the bridge is noiseless but when I move the selector to the middle and the Neck pickup enters the noise star... more alone than when the both pickups are together.
    G&L 2000 series E with big green capacitors :)
    removed