1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping boxes!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by simongpaez, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Not sure if its the right place if not excuse Mods but where do you fond the boxes to ship your basses? I alwasy have a hard time getting one and it is one of the unpleasent parts of selling gear, Go to GC nothing , other local stores and nothing so I am always having a hard time,

Do you experience the same if not where do you find your boxes?????

2. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Hate to say, but local GC - they always have something that will work.

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    UPS stores sell a box that fits most bass cases well. I think they actually call it a "guitar box". About $10 last time I got one.

4. I get bicycle boxes from the bike shop and cut them down to fit. It takes a little work but it works, and they are free :)

5. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    Office Max and Staples!! Way cheaper than the UPS store.

6. Go to your local music store, they've always got extra boxes that guitars or basses have come in. That's where I get mine when I need to ship an axe somewhere.:smug:

7. Did you actually read the first post?? Come on now, fess up :eyebrow:

None of the 3 music stores near me EVER have boxes available including GC. Theirs immediately go into a compactor. Thus........I use bike boxes :)

8. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    I let the folks at my local music store know that I usually need boxes, so they now call me before they take them to the dumpster, or I go by beforehand. Nice folk

9. My method- I'll put one inside the other for a very sturdy box. There's usually several to choose from, if you get them before they crush them up.

10. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Bike boxes, that's a good idea. I've used all sorts of boxes. Bed frame boxes work well too. Anything that is too big can be carefully cut down and formed.

I can't bring myself to paying for boxes, so I'm forever dumpster diving for boxes when I need them. Well, can't lie. I paid for a box to return ship an upright bass and it cost me $65. :eek:

11. I've had the same box come and go several times to various TB members. We've even joked about it :)

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    While all these bright ideas have some merit, I suggest you get a fine-print rundown from your shipper of the packing requirements that have to be met in order to get an insurance payout on damaged goods.

I am not current on UPS and FedEx as of 3-09, but I do know that at one point not long back, you could not get a payout on anything shipped in a used box, for example.

Much outrage ensued on another forum when people realized that the shipper routinely took extra insurance charges for obviously non-qualified packages that could never result a cent of compensation if they were damaged.

13. Brian Reihms

Brian Reihms Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was just about to post the ULine link. That's where I've gotten all of my boxes for years now.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "I had FLKnifemaker's box. Several times."

16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I always flip the kid at a guitar store $5 for a box.. I'm sure they'd be free.. it's amazing what a tip will get you.

Tim

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You've double posted this in Misc.

tsk tsk.

My answer is there.

18. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Only in batches of 5, huh? :meh:

As much as I could stand to thin the herd, I'm not sure I'm ready to go from six electrics way back down to just one! :eek:

No one has mentioned the most obvious solution yet, which is to go ahead and buy another bass, then use the box it comes in to ship away your current one. :D

The key is to get the old one sold before the credit card bill is due.

(I've been mulling that option for real... :rolleyes:)

19. If we where shipping 'Fish, we should have used a cooler :D

20. ScottPro and I must have sent Peavey's back and forth in the same box at least 5 times, no kidding. That was a great box, it's probably still being used :bassist:

Think about it................

If you have a good box and you ship a lot of basses like I USED to, it might pay to have it sent back. Considering the time it takes to track down and fart around with new box. How much would it cost to ship an empty bass size box back?? Under 10 bucks and it would be worth it, to me anyway :)