1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping Damage: Lost For Words

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tewest86, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I recently sold a bass through Reverb. I also had it list here. It is a Fender Jazz Elite so it came with a hard case. I placed the bass in it's hard case and used all the original packing material that I had when I bought the bass brand new.

However, here is the issue. I get a message from the buyer that the bass had this extensive damage that was not there when I shipped it. I can't imagine a bass getting this kind of damage inside a hard case. I shipped through UPS. Someone from UPS had to have opened the package to inspected and dropped the bass of something. I'm at a lost for words. I wiped the bass down before inserting into its case. I can't believe this.

Below are pictures of the bass when I shipped.

IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1979.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Dr. Cheese and JulienP. like this.
  2. Tewest86

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Here is the damage that the buyer is showing.

pijvgimpvs8lyhwxfxya.jpg

riic7wbgcs1amy6zesed.jpg

vjwqyvrikq34sgg9pb5y.jpg

Attached Files:

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Agreed. It doesn't look like that happened while in the case. It is possible the buyer did this, though.

tindrum, JIO, Solarmist and 25 others like this.
  4. Tewest86

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I don't know what to believe but he said he didn't. I hope that my perfect feedback on Reverb and on here will help my case. There's no way I would ship a bass in that condition and not show it. It's not like the buyer wouldn't notice damage that big.

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I smell a rat.

FilterFunk, tindrum, JIO and 43 others like this.
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Is the buyer asking for a return or a discount?

In any case, did you insure the shipment for full value?

Was the hardshell case damaged too?

By the way, I've never heard of UPS, Fed Ex, etc opening up a domestic bound package for inspection. My gut tells me that the buyer dropped it and wants to blame you.

7. Tewest86

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    He's asking for a return. I've only seen pictures of the bass. The claim with reverb has just been filed this morning after I denied a full refund. I argued that this isn't the bass I sent so I asked him to show me the damage and SN in one shot. He declined and said it's in Reverb's hands now. I don't know what to believe. I asked to see pictures of the box. I can tell if the box was opened and repacked. I tape my boxes a weird way. I also keep track on how I restring the bass. I know which ones were string though the body and which weren't.

8. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I can't, for the life of me, imagine what kind of accident could cause such a bizarre series of dings of these size discrepancies over such a wide surface area in these specific locations.

It would be pretty shameful if the buyer did something like this on purpose, but anything is possible.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    tindrum, MCF, 4 Strings Good and 3 others like this.
  9. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Package opened for inspection has to be sealed with special tape indicating it was opened for inspection. Was there damage to the packing materials? I don't take delivery of instruments without FIRST inspecting the packaging, taking pictures and if there is any hint of rough handling, taking the instrument out for inspection. Actually will routinely ask the shipper to wait while I take the instrument out, if it's valued at more than $1000...

jchrisk1, Aqualung60, Helix and 6 others like this.
  10. Tewest86

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx

And yes I insured it. Reverb requires you purchase their insurance when something sells over $1500.

Iofflight likes this.
  11. Tewest86

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I know sometimes they open up packages for inspection when you are wanting to insure it over a certain amount but if an employee damaged it, I would expect them to fess up. I know that damage wasn't there when I shipped. I marked the damage that i had in the ad with an arrow pointing to it. It was small but noticeable. This new damage is out of this world. I don't want a return because there is noway I can get what I was asking for with this new damage. This is some blank blank.

12. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Right. It seems like damage that would accumulate over a decent period of time from multiple "accidents" unless, of course, it was intentionally done. The only "reasonable" ding is the big one on the bottom. And that is only if the hardshell case and shipping box were impaled, otherwise, something is fishy.

tindrum, Misfit Wookiee, DavC and 7 others like this.
  13. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    I smell BS. He won’t show you any other pics? Box, case, serial number? I like others suspect he/she dropped it and now they don’t want a dented bass for the price they paid. Man this really sucks!!

14. Tewest86

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Reverb is handling the dispute. If they are anything like eBay then there is no way for buyer to when. I've sold probably 20+ basses here since 2007. All transactions went smoothly. I've sold about 10+ on reverb and have great feedback. No way I would overlook damage like that when selling a bass for a few grand. It was in new shape when I packed it up. I bought the bass brand new on MF in September. This really irks me because other than the pictures, I have no more proof. Pictures were taken a few days before shipping. I packed the bass up at home and dropped off at UPS. From not own I will video and photo bass during packing with a time stamp and time stamp when I give it to the shipping company.

15. How long after it arrived to him did he make the complaint?

EatS1stBassist and mdogs like this.
  16. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    OP, it definitely looks like the same bass if you look at the tort figuring. The string through B-string is consistent (at least from what we can see in the photos).

The case looks fine. Either the shipment was intercepted and tampered with, or, he dropped it/stand failure. Little chips, like the ones on the horn, don't happen in a case during shipping.

How long after the delivery did he email you?

17. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The buyer opened it. He dropped it. Now he wants to blame it on you.
    Hold your ground.
    I just had a thought that would be an idea for all shippers. Include in the box a full set of photos date and time stamped just before you ship.

tindrum, JIO, Rebel Rocker and 19 others like this.
  18. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
  19. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Shame with a beautiful instrument. Unfortunately, buyer normally wins. Did you have shipping insurance? Case/box damage?