1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shockmount Racks, do they really make a difference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, Nov 30, 2006.

1. I figured this was Amp related.

So do these suckers really make more of a difference (say if you dropped your amp) than the standard ATA style racks?

[​IMG]

By the way, I'm not geting a huge rack like that, I'm talkin 2 space!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    given the fact that many trailers dont exactly have the most softest shocks, shockmount cases are pretty darn handy.

3. So the shock pads do actually make a difference? I've never udnerstood how a piece of rubber sponge around the edges helped.. They certainly look cool!

4. It's not only foam you know. Behind the foam are some springs that are covered with the foam.

[​IMG]

5. I'd say the sponge absorbs some shock before the force is transfered into your head, thus minimising the shock. Would need one might force to do damage on the head.

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    it's not just a piece of sponge....
    the rack rails are mounted to small shock absorbers which makes the rails"floating" in the box. The padding you see is added after that.

and yes, it does help..especially if you have tube gear.

7. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    It helps,
    especially if you are on commercial flights...

8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    They definitely help but I have sort of mixed emotions. They add weight and bulk so there is a bit of a trade off. If you're touring and someone else is moving your gear, I would absolutely go with a shock rack. If you carry a two space rack around yourself and only move it from car to stage it may not be worth it. I use a shock rack with my tube power amp but I'm generally not moving that myself.

9. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina

What he said. Since I carry it myself, I'm extra careful. If I thought a bunch of random dudes would be handling it, I'd get the shocks because it helps. I had a car that the shocks went bad on and every pebble in the road felt like I was going to be launched into outer space.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I personally would not buy a shockmount rack for shipping/handling protection. I do own a bunch of Mesa Boogie SUS-4 racks, though, but this is for vibration isolation for my tube amps. IME/IMHO, those SUS-4 racks are the shiz for tube amps. :cool:

11. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I dropped an amp years ago in a SKB rack, major damage. While I was on the road I had my rack dropped down a few stairs, it was a shock rack and there was no damage. So how much weight are you willing to haul around?

12. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I had a Mesa Boogie six space shock rack and I swear the thing weighed a ton empty! It was really cool looking but way to heavy for me carrying in and out of clubs by myself. I have since gone SKB and never looked back. Of course I am the only one who generally moves my rig and there are no flights, roadies, tours, paying gigs, appreciative fans.........but I digress hahaha

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, those SUS-4 racks are heavy, but man, they do a great job at isolation and protection. Here is one of my 4-space SUS-4's with some generic tube head I had laying around. :smug:

115_1505.

115_1509.

14. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Generic, hmmmm...
    Let's see:

1 a : relating to or characteristic of a whole group or class : [SIZE=-1]GENERAL[/SIZE]
    b : being or having a nonproprietary name <generic drugs>
    c : having no particularly distinctive quality or application <generic restaurants>

Yep, that about sums it up!

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :D

16. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Could you let me borrow your generic amp for a little while, say five or ten years? You can send me it in the handy case too please.

17. I'm currently using a Gator shockrack for my Mesa 400. I wanted some protection for loading in and out to gigs, but I'm not touring so I didn't need the super heavy duty stuff, and I wanted room for the amp to breathe. The case is a success in these areas, but it is a fair bit deeper than necessary, so I wish there was a short version.

If I could have found a sus-4 I probably would have purchased it, but I couldn't, and the weight of the gator is just a fraction of the sus, so in the end, for my situation, it works just fine.

18. :rolleyes:

d : Tom Bowlus refering to anything due to a distinct disconnection from reality ;)