Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Tom Baldwin, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Whenever you're feeling down, please visit and download the mp3's.

2. This may be the weirdest **** i've ever heard!!!!
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Listening to the radio interview now. My God!
  4. raw-silla-haw, baby!

You think that's wierd, last night on the way home from my gig I saw I car with a Hawaii license plate. In Maryland.

Ok, Shooby wins.
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Through the radio interview I learned that there was a transcription of one of his best-loved hits. Here 'tis:

Shooby Taylor - "Stout-Hearted Men"

Whee, shoo soo sah, shoo soo swah, shoo voo plah, doo doo rah, doo doo sah, doo doo rah
    (Soo-da-li-twee-daht, soo-da-li-doo-ton-plee-blah)

Dwee, dah dah shrah, plah plah sah, dah dah rah, plav da shree, loh ku pah, dav du sah!
    (Soo-da-li dwee-daht, soo-da-li doo-ton plah-blah)

Ray, shah-dah-hah, shah-plah-vrah, sah-vlah-sah, shah-plah-rah, sah-vlah-nah, shah-vlah-hah
    Soo-day-li doom-bop, doo-dwee-bee-oo-ton-dwee-bee

Bim, soo-dee-lee dee-dah-lah-bay oo-dayt, dayt, dwee-bay-doo
    Shrah, soo, shah, nah, rah, sah, pah, dah, hah
    Soo-duh-lay dee daht, soo-duh-lay doh-ton twee-bop

Bim, soo-di-lee dee-buh-lah-bay diddle-ay doat-und vee-bah
    Bim, doodle-ay deedle-lah-bay, soodle-ay doo-dah-laht-nn
    Dwin-shoodle-ay-doo-goo-la, dwin-shoodle-ay-doo-goo-la
    Bim, doo-bah-lah-odel-doo-bah-lah-bah-doo-buh-luh-buh-doo-bah-lah-bah

Bim, zhoo-doo-lay doo-goo-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee, dah
    Soo doo-zhoo-lah doo-goo-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee
    Poppy, poppy, poppy, poppy, poppy, poppy, poppy, poppy!
    Soo shoo-doo-lay doo-goo-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bah

Bih-mm doo-goo-lah öh-ay-nn doodle-ay hooh-ay-nn doo-goo-lah öh-ay-nn doo-doo-ay
    Bih-nn doo-goo-lah öh-ay-nn doo-goo-lah dooh-ay-nn doo-goo-lay oon-da-da-duh

Ooh oopy poopy, poppy poppy, poppy poppy da shra! Poppy da rah! Soo doo-ba-lay doo-dah!
    Bim, soo-da-lee doo-goo-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee doo drah!
    Dah dah dah sah, buh doo hah rah!
    Ho, ho, ho, ho! So, ho, ro, ho!
    Do-o-oh, ho, ho droh, foo-dah-lay-pah
    Bim, soo-da-lee dee-dah-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bay doo-ton
    Dway, zhoo-da-lee doo-goo-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee
    Dun, zhoo-da-lee doo-goo-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee
    Hoppy poppy poppy poppy doppy doppy dop shra!

Bim, shoo-di-lah deedle-ah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee
    Bim soo-da-li duh-dah-lah-shree, soo-duh-lay doo-goo-lah-bay
    Oodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee, dum shoo-doo shrah-dah,
    Bim duh doh doh doh doh duh doh, bay-ton-doh-bul-ah-oodly-shoo-doo-lay!

(organ break)

Dim, zoo-duh-lay doo-dah-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee oo-ton
    Dwen zhoo-doo-lay doo-goo-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee
    Zschrun, zhoo-duh-lay doo-goo-lah-bah doodle-ay doat-un doh-bay
    Peepy, poppy, peepy, poppy, doppy dop-ah foo-di-ah bah

Bim, zoo-duh-lay dee-dah-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee
    Skim, soo-doo-lay doo-goo-lah-bay doodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee
    Vwin, shoo-doo-lay doo-goo-lah-bay oodle-ay doat-un dwee-bee
    Dopey dopey dopey dopey driv-duh-doo schwa-a-a-a-ah!
  6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  7. Have you checked this for accuracy? It would be a shame to debase Shooby's work with a shoddy transcription.
  8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Don't you mean a 'Shoddy oddy oddy ood doo doo doo doo-y' transcription?

The guy that did the work admitted that there were probably some inaccuracies as it was difficult to actually pull Shooby's work off the tape. He also made note that he only worried about getting the syllables right as notating the pitches would be exceedingly difficult.
  9. You're more into this than I am. That's scary. I just checked the mp3, it sounds pretty spot-on. I haven't heard the interview yet.

I think Shooby was working off a whole nuther knid of semi-tone infested set of pitches, way ahead of our time.
  10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Geez, I wish I'd heard this stuff when I was still smoking weed.
  11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm not sure that I'm that into it, but it did entertain me over morning coffee today! There's some kind of bizarre genious to what he's doing, but the identical nature of his work from tune to tune doesn't seem to indicate that it'll ever catch on.

Although there are so many singers that seem to have arrived at a Near-Shooby product as well. A new moniker for jazz scat singers, maybe?

A noun meaning dada-esque scat singing that remains remarkably similar over any given tune or groove, generally with only a few pitches that may or may not have anything to do with the tune or key in which the tune is performed. Extra points awarded for as many different syllables used as possible, and true musical points awarded (Shooby points lost) if you do something interesting from a compositional standpoint with syllables or rhythms.

A verb that might describe an instrumentalist trying to bs his way out of some changes in which he got lost, or in the case of a double bassist, trying to play his way out of getting completely disoriented in TP.

12. Excellent. Let us not underestimate the genius of Shooby. Did you check out the organist's L.H. on the solo?
  13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  14. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I regret to say that I'm just not feelin' it.
  15. John, the guys got a mental problem....It's just supposed to be funny and it is. I sent the link to some pretty hip people including Dick Hindman. Dick, I guess, thought that I thought this guy was hip. The guys just a riot because of those strange sounds he utters....had me laughing my ass off. Plus, what he's doing has nothing to do with the back ground. Although, you can hear him kinda stop and check in with the background, then go on with the spewing. Strange, but true, I've heard well accepted scat singers sounding almost as silly!
    And talk about musical torture, those Ethel Merman cuts are pure terror!!!
  16. The "Stout-Hearted Men" quote (quite accurate, by the way) comes from a CD entitled "Songs in the Key of Z - Vol. 1" - an interesting compilation of "sonic exotica" which includes such gems as "Philosophy of the World" by The Shaggs, and one of my all-time favourites, a spirited rendering of "Jailhouse Rock" by Sweden's answer to "The King", one Eilert Pilarm… check it out - you'll be amazed! you might even like it!!!

- Wil

PS: Here's a sample

…and he even has his own web-site:

…you have been WARNED!!!! :)
  17. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I'm cleaning the coffee off my monitor now, that was funny! You could just feel the band getting angry with the guy's so-called "time".
  18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Listen to the girl screaming in the background on "Jailhouse Rock". Not so much adulation; it sounds more like pure terror.
  19. Anybody know where I can get ahold of William Shatner's record? I hear there's some killer stuff on there.
  20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If it's not available commercially, I've got a copy on cassette.

"hey, Mr. Tambourine Man, Mr. Tambourine Man...."

Kirk, out.