1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale basses legitimate basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yup, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Yes

330 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. I hate them

6 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. I only play them

25 vote(s)
    5.5%
  5. I don't really care

52 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. Carrots

26 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Yup

Yup

Mar 20, 2019
    Wondering what the general consensus is on short scale basses. I have met many bassists that disregard short scale basses and say they are not "real" basses. I personally have no problem with them, I just prefer the longer scale. Not to say that I wouldn't play one if a cool bass came along.

zontar, 1BassDreamer and jamro217 like this.
  2. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Let’s see here

Fender Mustang, Gibson EB & SG series, Hofner 500/1

Find a few folks that played those...

GregC, chupacerveza, Winslow and 19 others like this.
  3. They're just as legit as a 34" or larger scale, but I wouldn't want to have a 5-string one, and I hate that the string selection for a SS is so sparse.

4. If they disregard short scale basses as "not real basses", then they haven't played one or they're incredibly narrow minded. I'm not saying they're for everyone, but they're as real a bass as any other.

I have 7 basses currently (although that varies quite often) and 4 of them are short scale. My favorite among them is the Guild Starfire II reissue.

5. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    As long as the part is being played correctly, I can't imagine anyone ever caring. I'm guessing the only ones that would even notice are other bassists, and if they are that naive, then I will be wasting my time talking to them anyway.

6. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    If they're not legit, I'm in gig trouble...

7. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

They are real basses (I own quite a few, 9 and 1 Mikro ranging from solid body, hollow body, semi-hollow body and ABG 4 & 5 string)
    I’d be buying this beauty on sale now at Zzounds if I didn’t already have one in Honey Violin Burst...and it is very legit
    upload_2019-7-21_21-3-27.
    Thank you
    Next question :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
  9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I’ve been gigging 18” Ashborys since they came out. Sometimes three times a week. Every kind of gig. Experimental, funk, 20/21st century classical, jazz, society, gallery openings, poetry slams, etc. No one has ever questioned their legitimacy. In fact they attract a lot of positive attention from women and men.

I gigged EBOs and an EB2D only for a while in the ‘60s. 30.5”

But hey we all can’t care what others think. That line is too long. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    what does scale length have to do with whether a bass - or any other string instrument - have to do with whether an instrument is legit? i've gigged basses from 28.6" scale to 36" scale.

there are luthiers out there who will make you a superb, world-class 30" scale bass better than anything the players you've talked to have ever tried. do any of those bass players even know there's an american fender mustang bass?
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...tang-bass-aubergine-with-rosewood-fingerboard

11. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Jack Freakin' Bruce played Gibson EB's with Cream. You can't say they aren't an instrument. I do, however, hate them.

12. Yup

Yup

Mar 20, 2019
    Yeah I know it seemed rediculous to me too. I'm glad the general community here is different than the people I know. Maybe they think that because they were originally made for beginners and guitarists converting over?o_O who knows.

Another question. For those of you who have alot of experience with shirt scales, does playing on a short scale for a long time mess up your muscle memory on long scale basses?

wes stephenson and jamro217 like this.
  13. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Ask Pino.

chupacerveza, bcbckr and jamro217 like this.
  14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    A bassist came up to me at a gig and said he had recently shortened his strap, raised his bass and was finding his playing more fluid. His band mates asked, “what about your image, man?”

15. I was intrigued by the Gretsch Electromatic for a few weeks. Then @BlacknWhite posted a NBD a week (?) ago & re-lit the fire. GC has two of them, & I went in & gave a red one a pretty serious workout. The thing sounds really, really good. It has a lot of old school vibe to the sound, both P/U's are very useable, together or seperately. I'm well over average height, with long fingers, so playing it is hysterically easy.

I don't own any "old-school" basses, save a fretless Jazz, so I'm giving very serious consideration to getting the Gretsch. I think it would do nicely on some of the songs my cover band does.

...I'm tall...it's small...& looks like a Les Paul...maybe women will think I'm one of the guitar players...& flirt...

Zap's Plan of Attack.

I'm running out of reasons to NOT buy one...

16. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Not for me, and I've been playing them side-by-side since '83.

Obviously, YMMV.

nice_hat and chupacerveza like this.
  17. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Legitimate ≠ Common

Nev375 likes this.
  18. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Supporting Member

Just walk into GC and get it man!

giphy.

Haroldo and Keger Jupit like this.
  19. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Which Electromatic? The 5442?
    Here’s my 5442 short scale
    upload_2019-7-21_21-34-19.
    They’re great

20. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    They’re not for me. But that doesn’t mean they're not legit.

Also, I’d recommend staying away from gear “elitists”.

Mugre and lowdownthump like this.