Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short scale Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shane6969, Feb 17, 2006.

1. I'm thinking about getting a short scale bass. I see there is a Fender Mustang Re-issue, and also see there is a Squier Bronco, and a Squier Bronco "Badtz-Maru". Are these any good and what are there pro's and con's?
    Also are there any other short scale basses on the market these days?
    I used to own a Fender Musicmaster years ago but sold it.

Cheers,

Shane.

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    If you want a cheap one , SX makes good ones, or of course if you are rolling in cash Alembic makes them, in between there is the Birdsong, Cortobass, and a liitle higher, the Landing basses. There is a Landing for sale here on TB.

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    IMO, Jimmy Wilson at Landing makes some really excellent examples. The vintage white L332 shown on his site is my bass.

It's easily the most comfortable bass I own, and the one I grab the most at home when I'm working on new material. It also sounds great. I've used it in many (dozens) of live performances.

I find it easy to get a variety of useful tones. The key, I think, is the 3 pickup system, which has a 5 way switch.

Best,

Matt

4. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you want a vintage sound from a short scale, try a hollowbody like an old Danelectro, Silvertone, Hofner, etc. Not a modern tone but a lot of great recordings have been made with these types of instruments (Like most of the records by 1960's British Invasion bands).

5. :cool: I've got one on order from James Basses. He's another custom builder that builds for reasonable prices.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There are a number of Beatle Bass copies that have a 30 in. scale.

The Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat is a wonderful bass with a 30.5 in scale.:hyper: :bassist:

The Epiphone EB-0 is a 30 in. scale bass

I don't know about the scale length on all of the Daisyrock basses.

Gretsch makes a cheap 30 in. scale bass.

Alembic has quite a few:D

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have played most short scales in the world. The only one mentioned so far that I would say - stay away from - is the Bronco. It's pretty bad. If you choose to go low end instead of high end, and SX short scale is about 10 times as good as a Squier Bronco.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    We once dismantled a Bronco - and sanded it down to see what was underneath. :p

It was Green underneath the paint. Suffice to say, whatever the body was made of, it wasn't something you could stain translucent. :) Once the paint was off, we started getting worried that whatever the Green Stuff was might be a biohazard to touch. :p

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    According to Squier, the body of the Bronco is made of Agathis.

Agathis is a "Genus of coniferous trees in the family Araucariaceae, native to the Philippines and Australasia. The trees are grown for their timber...."

Many guitar and bass companies use Agathis in the manufacture of their instruments. Googling for images of Agathis, I came up with pictures of instruments by Yamaha, Ibanez, Cort, ESP, Line 6, Daisy Rock to name a few.

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    If it's the same one I tried at a local GC, that little Gretsch had really great tone! It was only $249! I almost bought the thing but my new bass was due to arrive any day and my wife would have gone off on me if I showed up with an impulse buy bass!:p

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm familiar with Agathis. But whatever we hit after we dug through through the finish was either not Agathis, diseased wood, or wood that had just been chopped down. :)

13. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5

I had one of the Gretsch short scales, and it sounded good, but it's a set neck, and I couldn't get the action down on it. whoever set the neck must have drunk at the time. Others may be all right, but mine wasn't.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yummy:eyebrow:

That'll teach ya:D Perhaps sometimes (like with restaurant food) it's better that we don't know...

15. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Just goes to show that not all basses (even of the same make and model) are created equal!! I've picked up examples of inexpensive basses that played and sounded great, only to pick up another example of the same bass and found that either playability or tone suffered (or both).

It pays to try before you buy, if you can...:bassist:

16. Thanks for the replies and help guy's. Much appreciated.

17. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    It is fairly common for agathis to take on a green tint. It's fine if you paint it but makes agathis unsutiable if you want a natural finish.

Jim

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I customized a bronco for my son, and the wood was perfectly normal in mine. I would suggest the rondo basses over the bronco, I had to do a lot of work to it to make it respectable. (new bridge, added a bridge pickup, new neck pickup, metal control plate, ect)

Pictures are available in most threads that the bronco is mentioned, do a search for bronco with my username.

19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I remember that bass...you did a great job!