Short scale question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Can i put long scale (45-100) bass strings on my squier bronco? Its a 30" scale.

Only asking because i used long scale strings on my ibanez mikro (28" scale) and it worked fine even with standard guage. I think the ibanez mikro tuners might have been bigger tho.

2. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Should be fine. I've had them on a Jag SS for about eight years.

Do a search for info on how to bend, cut, and crimp them, to reduce or eliminate any problems.

The only snag might be the diameter of the hole in the Bronco tuner that holds the string.
    Never had a Bronco, so someone else will have to comment on that.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    GodPlayedBass likes this.
  3. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Depends if you want only tapered ends on posts or not

4. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    Yes you can. I have only used long scale 50-110 non tapered strings on all my short scale basses including a bronco that I used to have.

GodPlayedBass likes this.
  5. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

In most cases, it's fine.

In rare-ish cases, particularly w/flatwounds, having the fat part of the string wrap around the tuning post can cause the winding to "crack," causing string rattle.

Also, there's personal aesthetics. Some people simply want taper only on the tuning post. (Like me)

EDIT: For the record, I would recommend GHS Short Scale Precision Flats for a Bronco.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  6. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    I don't see how the E string can fit in the tiny tuner holes of the Bronco unless it's a 95.

I learned my lesson ruining a 100 flatwound E on a Mini Precision with tiny tuners.

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021