1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

short speaker stands?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by toobalicious, Oct 22, 2010.

1. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    ok... ive been working with this cover band recently, and their average show is a frat party sort of thing--- usually indoors in a small-ish room, and only sometimes with an elevated stage. i have been supplying the PA gear, as they had previously been hiring it out (hey, i need that money to keep my lights on!). etc etc...

i want to use my peavey SP4x mains (2x15/horn) full-range without the subs. i know, i know. but many of these rooms are smaller than the average household basement, and are often virtually unfinished (i.e. lots of hard, parallel, ****-sounding surfaces). the peaveys have decent, if underwhelming bass response, and the single cabinet solution (per side, obviously) is very, very appealing. blah blah blah.

the quandry?

how do i elevate them? they are 48" tall. too short to sit on the floor--- the tweeters are about chest height for most. normal tripod stands are too tall for many of these rooms (the lowest height that mine will stably sit at is about 45", minus a few for the cup, of course). i can not find "short" tripod stands anywhere, and frankly, have had difficulty finding any kind of non-ghetto-looking solution. the 24" tall subs are about perfect... sigh...

any ideas, talkbass?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Put them on top of 5 gallon buckets turned upside down.

3. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    haha thanks... i guess i shouldve stressed the non-ghetto-looking requirement!

ive got some milk crates currently. stable enough, i guess, but terribly bulky in the trailer, and they look terrible.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I was gonna suggest cinder blocks but I don't think they'll meet your stringent aesthetic standards. Maybe you can paint 'em!:D

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I use a pair of these for my 15" 3-way PA cabs, or occasionally for my bass rig. You could cut 'em down if they're taller than you need.

6. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    i like it! thanks for the suggestion!

7. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    just use roadcases?