1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I buy a pf800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jared Houseman, May 14, 2019 at 8:34 AM.

1. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I found a Craigslist post nearby that is an Ampeg pf800 head with the 2x10 cab for only $600. I won't ever need that much power, but it just seems like a deal I can't pass up (my 75w combo never gets turned up past 5(no drums) and I mainly gig a rumble 15 for acoustic gigs.) Is it worth getting to future proof my setup? I'd probably never need another amp. Convince me out of it

If he's open up to trade for my hartke 75w combo and some cash, it's a done deal

mikewalker likes this.
  2. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    You are right that 800 watts into 2x10's is overkill but, you'll have the power if and when you need it. I have the pf500 head and it has served me faithfully for several years. If everything is in good working order and you need it, jump on it.

Aqualung60 and bordinco90 like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Personally, I'd spend that money on something smaller and lightweight since you don't really neeed the PF800.

4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Gearhead17 likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    As a pf800 user for over the last 2 years I say a resounding YES! Love the tone and watts thru a pb112 [w/ Black Widow caste frame]. Mine has been bulletproof, easy to dial in tone, and although not the lightest or smallest, it punches above it's class.

6. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I would buy something else but it's seems like a great deal locally. I don't think I would be able to get anything close for the same price

Gearhead17 and Aqualung60 like this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like your mind is made up!

8. I'm in a trio with a cajon drummer, so my rumble 100 is plenty. I often find myself dreaming about "what ifs and down the roads..." but in reality I dont NEED anything now. I've resolved to save my money and wait for the future scenario to present itself. Then I can buy EXACTLY what I need.

Do you like the PF sound?
    Would you like something a little bigger than the hartke, or a different tone? Maybe there's a middle ground answer. You could get something 100-200w, and save some money.

Just because it's a good deal doesn't mean it's the right amp, or the right time to buy.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    No

10. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Sound wisdom here!

Kriegs and alanloomis1980 like this.
  11. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Only if you are also going to buy a Lamborghini because someday, you might want or need to go 160mph ;)

GCPENG likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a fan, and I rarely get any louder than you. For some reason it just sounds better to me than the others.

Mastermold, lfmn16 and macmanlou like this.
  13. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    i love my pf800, that said, 600 is a little high for that combination. i'd talk him down a smidge. those cabs are going for 200 tops.

MattZilla likes this.
  14. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Of the three models in this line, I found the pf800 to have the best tone. I would definitely go with one and just control my fingers around the volume knob.

TinyE likes this.
  15. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    Did he get the amp yet?

16. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Really? Where?

I love my PF500, just got a deal onna Hartke HD112 and it's a terrific small set-up; a gig bag and 1 bass and I can carry it all in one walk.

17. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    the pf210s are on here quite a bit for 200-250. they are always for sale in my local CL for the same range. in new condition. i like the pf series cabs. you can stack them, put wheels on them, even put the pf-800 inside of them.

18. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    To Ampeg, or not to Ampeg, that is the question. The answer is always hella yeah! I have the PF800 into a neodymium 115 cab. Love it. It is always better to have a car with a big engine that you never floor, than a small engine that can't get the car out of its own way when it needs to.

TinyE likes this.
  19. At that price, it's basically a free 2x10 cab.

I see them listed at $600 USD new.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  20. It's nice to have headroom. It is like buying a car with lots of horsepower. Most people will never drive faster than 75-80 and a Corolla will do that easily but...