Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should i get a 6 string????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rb26nate, Mar 9, 2005.

1. rb26nate

rb26nate

Mar 8, 2005
    ohio
    I play a 4 string right now and have never played a 6 string. Should i get one? Do you recomend them? I think the more notes the better.....haha

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    What's up with the 6 string threads today?

Go try them and find out yourself if you want one. We can give you facts, figures and opinions on them until you go insane, but it wont tell you if you want one or no.

Ray

3. if you can handle it, go for it. i LOVE the high c string...

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Big +1, I really don't care much for the B though.

5. you know you would only gain 4 lower notes and 4 higher notes. :bag:
    if you want one and you can afford it, why not? :bassist:

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    AND the ability to play a lot of stuff in 1st position alone. 8 more notes, less movement while playing = win win situation! IMO, of course.

Ray

7. I love having the range, you should get a six...it'll take a little getting used to the extra strings, but if you just perservere you'll be fine...the trick is not to think of it as anything more than a bass, six, seven, twelve whatever...its a bass nothing more nothing less...you make it as hard as you want it to be...if you think its going to be easy then its gonna be easy, if you make it hard, its going to be hard :)

8. i love them both. whenever my friend is over i say "hey dude, hey dude...BEEEEEEE" and play the open B.

9. rb26nate

rb26nate

Mar 8, 2005
    ohio
    I think i might get a 6 then. I just wanted some guys opinions on them...

10. I know, I was just messing around. :p
    If i ever got a Sixer I would tune it F#-B-E-A-D-G :D b/c I cant stand the twang of the high strings. As Bad_Habit_Bassist said, a sixer would create less movement up and down the fretboard. If only there was a six string p-bass. :eek: