1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I get a drumset?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jul 15, 2007.

1. I've just been thinking about getting a drumset... I've been meaning to jam with a few friends, but they all refused to come to my house because I have to drumset, so we had to go to other friends' houses to jam on numerous occasions... Trouble is, I think I have too many instruments already: I have a flute, a sax, a gold flute, a gold sax, a keyboard, a guitar, two basses, a bass rig, and another bass rig and guitar rig that I use during gigs - they are both pretty decent, along with a few other miscellaneous instruments. If I buy more stuff, this house will probably turn into a studio... And now I have an urge to get a drumset... AHHH!!! I don't know what to do anymore...

2. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    do it! I would so buy a drumset if I didn't live in such a small house :p

3. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    My brother has one which i use daily, its alot of fun and a great timing exercise!

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Might as well.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

You have everything else, get the drumset too. I got a crappy drumset off of a friend for free. Now when I want to jam with my friends, they all come to my house and I never have to transport anything anywhere.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I really want an Arbiter Flats kit...

7. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Yep, drums are fun! I have a set in the basement, they are actually my sons but we both play them. IMHO it will make you a better bass player.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been putting off a drum kit for about three years now. Mostly it's been living situations (i.e. apartments and such).

9. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Go down to GC and play one of the electronic sets. They are amazing and getting cheaper all the time.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Plus, you'll never have to mess on with mics!

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do what your heart tells you, don't every worry about having too many instruments. I still remember the look on my mom's face when I brought home my drumset and her screaming that I already had too much gear. I've since sold it because I seldom have a chance to play it in my house, and wasn't around enough to jam here.

Needless to say, don't buy it purely so you can jam at your house. Buy it to learn it, to better understand your role and interaction with the drums.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have, and hostly, even the electronic sets make a fair amount of noise. I mean, I'd be perfectly within my rights to practice and play one in an apartment, but I'm too nice, in the long run. Even if it's just clicks and thumps for a couple hours, I'd still rather be a zero noise neighbor (considering thus far my neighbors have provided me the same courtesy).

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    How do you get away with playing bass? Headphones?

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Playing unplugged for the most part, sometimes headphones, and when I do plug in, typically no louder than my stereo or TV.

I really aught to just break down and get a 1x12 or something. But, I keep holding onto my 4x10, paranoid that as soon as I downsize, a band situation is going to come up...

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I mostly play on my own and I still love having a 4x10"...most of the time I don't even have it up very loud!

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aye. I think I've cranked my 4x10 all of three times in two years? But I'm holding onto it, because sometimes, you need to crank it up to 11.

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For me, it still remains an exercise in coordination. I hope I can start working on polyrhythms once I get my coordination down.

18. Dude, do it. I have had a set for about 4 years after lusting for one for about three times as long. I got a decent starter kit used for 100 bucks, some hand me down cymbals that sound killer, and upgraded hardware as necessary. the shells were good quality all wood, and I had the bearing edges recut by a pro shop, bought some coated heads, and it's ON. I re-wrapped them in real funky looking shelf paper, and they look nifty too. Some may say ghetto, but they really look spendy.

I SOOOOO prefer livedrums for looping than drum machine...I get some killer grooves because you can muck the feel on the fly...

And yes, it's awesome for timing and getting better at bass asa result.

19. I have my Dad's old one. It is a Premier kit that he gigged with for 20-30 years. I don't use it but i like to know i have it :)

20. Any suggestions as to what type I should get? (Price range is as cheap as possible)

I know I'm very likely to buy a separate snare drum and I really loved the one my church has. I used to play drums at my church every week, and I love the tight snare drum sound (as opposed to the loose ones that rattle even when I step on the bass pedal).

Another question, will a double bass pedal work on all types of bass drums? Or does it have to be a special type of bass drum?