1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I Get the Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hybridmoments21, Apr 16, 2009.

1. hybridmoments21

hybridmoments21

Apr 7, 2009
    I have about $1000 dollars to spend on a guitar. I did have my heart set on a ric, but I didn't realize that it would cost almost double that. Now I'm looking into buying an Ibanez. I have about 5 years of experience so im not looking for a begginer's bass. I would appreciate it if someone could answer the following:

Would it be wise to purchase an Ibanez?
    What is the best model for my budget?
    How much will it cost me?

Any advice,insight,ect. is appreciated, Thanks.

2. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Then get a Rick. Look for one used. You'll be happier in the long run.

3. Buy used. Look around in the Classifieds section for great deals. Ibanez is good if you like thin necks. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

4. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Ibanez makes fine basses that cover all the basses from beginner to touring pro, so an Ibanez would not be bad choice.

As for which one to get? Just because you have a budget of $1000 does not mean you need to spend all of it.

Go to your local Ibanez dealer and try all the basses they have and if you find one you like and its within your budget, get it.

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    My two favorite basses are my 4003 and my Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow. The others rarely get played. If I could only keep one, it would be the Ric.

6. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
  7. I'm a big fan of the SR series mainly because of the slim necks, and "Ibanez" sound. The SR500 ($550) comes with a Bartolini 3-band EQ. From the 500 series, and up it's mainly just cosmetic differences unless you're talking about the new Prestige models.

8. +9000

You cant go wrong with the SR's

9. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    Save more money and buy a Rick, seriously the prices are only going up for them and the value stays virtually the same if you buy used.

I play an Ibanez BTB 450 and i love it but my favorite bass is the rick, which i have yet to own. Ibanez resale value drops a lot too.

10. Used stingray is my vote. My second vote goes to either a used Warwick or Spector. You really can't go wrong with any of those three brands, and they all have a very distinct tonal range. Although I haven't played an abundance of Ibanez basses, I think their tone is quite bland. IMO of course.

11. if you really like ibanez, you should check out U.S. Masters basses. http://www.usmasters.com/basses.htm they're quite amazing, and in some cases, a lot like Ibanez, but in my opinion a bit nicer. rics are nice, and if you keep your eye out, you will find a decently priced ric.

have you ever played a Rick? if not, i'd make sure to play one before buying one; they have a distinctive feel that some either like or dislike. i personally don't care for it, or at least the one i played, but thought i would, because of the general hype of Rickenbacker.

though, if you find a cheap rick, jump on it, because you can always sell it for a lot more later on, as long as you take good care of it.

12. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I've got the SR885, that is a really nice bass for the $350+- they cost. I just recently got a BTB675 (neck through, BartoliniMkIIs), that is a GREAT bass for the $700-ish they cost. I've had several upper end basses, Ibanez can be a great value, especially the Made in Japan models.

13. i would recommend an sr500. been playing one at guitar center, love the sound, amazing three band eq that is very versatile, love it. its in the $500 range, but well worth it

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    To answer your question, yes it is wise to purchase an ibanez bass. not only do they sound great, but they're also affordable.
    the most recommendable models from ibanez are usually the soundgear and the soundgear extreme. I own an ibanez srx595 5-string bass. I bought it for 500 dollars and it sounded totally awesome. :bassist: in my opinion, ibanez basses are totally worth owning.:cool:

15. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Maybe you should save your money for a better bass, and maybe I don't know what the heck I'm talking about, but IMHO, the Ibanez Ergodyne is a GREAT bass. I've played it for 5 years (which is how long I've been playing, so you might not want to take my opinion :D), but it has been VERY faithful. I recall performing at my old school a while back (the school I was in when I got the bass), and thinking "Wow, this bass hasn't been here in five years since I first brought it to show and tell (Hey, it was fifth grade....), and it hasn't changed in that period of time". If you want it to, it can sound FANTASTIC, and I haven't found a bass yet that has the same incredible feel of it. It's just a smooth bass that feels tremendously natural. I would consider the Ergodyne, but what do I know? I'm only 15. Give it a try though.

16. cvictorh

cvictorh

Feb 14, 2009
    Mid-Michigan
    I would try out both of them. I have never played a ric and the only bass I own is the Ibanez srx4ex1 and while I like the tone there is many times where the tone annoys me. I believe its because of the large bridge they use but it has a very distinct metallic tone imo. I really like the way it plays and I don't plan on selling it but I am looking for something for a more wood sound so I can play more diverse styles. So as most have said before me, Try it before you buy it.

17. camello

camello

Apr 17, 2009
    I have a Ibanez 2006 5 string prestige and I'm totaly happy with it. A fellow bass player friend of mine always tells me, "well its not a warwick". I'm too used to the thiness of the neck. the necks and weights of other basses seem to get in the way of playing bass. of course it is just my opinion. Frankly, the difference between a hyundai and a mercedes benz is just the amount of people that complement your ride. every one here is telling you to save up and get your ric. I spent $1500 on my Ibanez. you waited this long and you have a G. If this is going to be your "special" "this is IT" bass then, do what you wont regret later.

18. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Dude, a Ric and an Ibanez are completely different animals. Rics have an extremely distinct sound and feel.....try before you buy!! As far as Ibanez, I have never really got into their basses...sorry. I find them unappealing. I think there are some WAY BETTER choices out there for $1K. Here are a few in the classifieds at this very moment

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536144 - Lakland 550-02

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525027 - another 55-02

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527992 - Stingray 5

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532312 - MIA Fender Jazz

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536120 - Peavey Cirrus 6 (just thought I would toss this one in......good deal on a Cirrus 6)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535041 - EBMM 4

19. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Worse part about buying an ibanez will be the awful resale value if you decide you don't like it. I love my SR750, but yikes, selling it would almost be pointless.

20. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    yep buy the ibanez.... :cool: