1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I get the rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PMC89, Feb 27, 2008.

1. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    Found a guy with a 'GrayGlo' Rickenbacker from September 07...

[​IMG]

He's asking about $1645.00 shipped.

Thing is, I'm not a professional... I'm a college business student with an already expensive hobby and a local bar/small party playing band...

Do I buy it? Is it collectible and potentially a good investment as well as a great instrument? And how is resale, would I be able to quickly sell it again for close to what I bought it for?

-Paul

2. rzm61

rzm61

Feb 26, 2008
    Oh wow!
    Its beautiful!

I would say buy it. If I had the funds, I would be buying it. ;)

3. Buy it! You won't lose money and that bass is potentially a collectable because not that many Greyglo's were shipped. Some people who had ordered Jetglos had these show up unexpectedly. I think if I recall it was a finish that Ric tried on a limited basis with no plans for future use. Someone that knows more might be able to clarify that though.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    that's pretty hot, no idea how collectable it will become. ricks aren't particularly rare and off color ones aren't common but not very rare. i'd only buy it if i wanted a rick, could afford it and liked the color.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Price seems okay. You won't lose money if you decide to sell it soon.

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    If you play with a pick, buy it, if not, try it first.

7. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I would say go for it, but... are you going to charge it? Or pay cash for it? If you charge it, how long will it take you to pay it off? And then what would the bottom line be? If you buy it with cash, you can get those dollars back if you decide to sell it.

8. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    Hm? what's that supposed to mean?

i hope the op's question was rhetorical;)

9. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    No, Personally I find it a little awkward playing fingerstyle on a Ric. it's not the most comfortable bass for me, playing fingerstyle. A Ric with a pick sounds amazing.

Just my opinion.

10. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    Most definitely no going to charge it. I have the money... and then some.

I am also lucky enough to be going to school on a substantial scholarship, so my bills are rather low, as well.

I currently love the sound of my ibanez with Darkstars... but the neck has many dead/buzzing spots, and the bridge/tuners are slowly starting to go. I could use a solid instrument for my future in bass playing. And rick's sound better than my bass too...

-Paul

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    GrayGlo? That's a rare find plus that's a decent price! I'd say buy it. Owning a Rick has two great standpoints:

1)Great playing/sounding instrument(Once you get used to its oddities)
    2)A superb investment :]

12. Get it without hesitation---whether you use a pick or fingers!

13. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Since you are in school I would check out your debt/ loan situation first and see if you can afford it....that is alot of $$$$ for someone in college....when I was in college, i had a $300 bass (not trying to sound like a "dad" - but I am).....if you think you can afford it without stressing out your finances go for it...

PS - I am really thinking about this since my son is going to college next fall and I am trying to think of him in this situation....

14. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Buy it! Although I'm not really seeing the GrayGlo. Looks like a jetglo.:confused:

15. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    It's a little faded. It's like if you put your Jetglo out in the sun for a good couple of days.

16. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Investment wise you can't go wrong. They seem to be getting crazy money. Rare color...more on!

17. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    AGREED!!!

18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I bought my Rickenbacker for $1,300 in 2006. It's now 2008 and they went up 500$.... that's a sick investment if you ask me! :]

If you are not convinced yet but some reason, check out the sounds the Rick can push on my Myspace!!