Should I open my new bass immediately?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spencejm, Jun 14, 2021.

1. spencejm

spencejm

Jun 6, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    I'm having a new bass delivered this afternoon. It should be in a hard case inside the shipping container. I've heard I should not open it right away to allow the temp and humidity to stabilize. I understand the reasoning for this but is it really necessary? I REALLY want to at least look at it!

Thank you for your advice.

Joe

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Did it travel by air or come from a place with a noticeably different temperature? If not it should be fine to open- chances are it’s already acclimated to your current temperature as it’s not winter and it wasn’t being passed from cold truck to cold truck.

SemiDriven, jamro217, GregC and 13 others like this.
  3. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    That might depend on the route it took to get to you. I had a new bass that was shipped over a couple of mountain ranges in the winter, so I decided to let it sit around an acclimate for a day. If the climate along the shipping route is similar to where you are, I wouldn't worry about it. (I wouldn't worry about it anyway, TBH. Just depends on how fussy you are. I'm fussy.)

Meaculpa, BBassBassington and zie like this.
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’d just rock that thing ASAP.

5. spencejm

spencejm

Jun 6, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks guys! I just didn't want t screw anything up. It was too expensive!!

Joe

jamro217 likes this.
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Basses are tuff, no worry.

7. Just open it... and play it...

8. landrybass

landrybass

Oct 23, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    I always try to wait 24 hours and end up opening it after like 2 or 3 hours. I have not had one explode yet.

Ggeorges, design, honeydorick and 9 others like this.
  9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I open it up immediately before the delivery truck gets too far away from my house

Ggeorges, KaraQ, downunder and 16 others like this.
  10. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Unless it came from Antarctica, it’s fine.

tindrum, Ggeorges, jamro217 and 7 others like this.
  11. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    SmartSelect_20210614-142724_Chrome.jpg

tindrum, Ggeorges, Bogun and 40 others like this.
  12. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I prefer to let them sit til the box isn't hot or cold anymore. Gotta let the cookies cool, and the delivery guy isn't turning around now even if it is broken.

Omega Monkey and pipaberg like this.
  13. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    If everyone told me to wait 24hrs... I would ignore them, open it, and make adjustments if needed. I travel to a outdoor gig in the summer with AC in my car so what's the difference.

tindrum, halcyo, Ggeorges and 14 others like this.
  14. mike-matthews

mike-matthews

Jun 29, 2018
    How else will we all know what it looks like if you don't OPEN THE DAMN BOX AND TAKE A PICTURE?!?!

15. I like to give it a few hours to acclimate if the package feels noticeably warm or cold. Usually it's been in an air-conditioned delivery vehicle and there's not reason to wait to open it.

John

Omega Monkey likes this.
  16. Ruknrole

Ruknrole Professional Amateur Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Open it and let's see some pictures!

17. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    I'd unpack it by layers. If any layers feel warm/cool to the touch I'd give that layer some time to acclimate then keep going. Then I'd open the hard case and let the bass sit a little more time before I plugged in and played it.

And that whole process would probably take me a whole 10-15 seconds longer than it would to just open the thing up and start playing!

It looks hot but pretty dry where you are - unless it was overnighted from a very cold region, where it spent some time outside, you're good to go.

Scarysharkface likes this.
  18. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Show us pics of this expensive bass!!! pics !! pics !!!

19. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I would unpack it very slowly.

First I check for dents, and then slowly unpack the delivery slip, read it in a whispered tone.

Then I would run my fingers along every seam, looking for the places where I could separate the tape without being rough on the package.

Then I would very slowly unzip the flaps where I know there is another layer of protective material, keeping the precious object out of sight and reach a little longer.

Then I would slip it out of the box, slowly and carefully removing the remaining packaging.

Then I would attentively undo the zipper/unfasten the clasps.

Finally, I would examine every surface and curve very closely, and then plug it in and take it for a drive at slowly increasing volumes, playing with each knob and button until I am fully satisfied.

tindrum, dougjwray, halcyo and 18 others like this.

20. Back in the day we used to have a van. (didn't everyone) to travel from one job to the next and it was common to leave the equipment loaded when we got home. Guitars, Basses, drums, PA, lights - everything. That includes in the dead of winter. Nothing bad ever came of it so I wouldn't get too excited.

tindrum, dougjwray, Mikey F and 6 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021