1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I sell my first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Superconductor, Apr 4, 2009.

1. I'm going off to University in the fall, and I could use as much cash as possible.

My first bass was bought about 4-5 years ago. It's an MIM Standard Fender Jazz.

I picked up a Geddy Lee two years ago, and haven't touched the MIM since.

Now that I see myself in need funds, and even with some potential people interested in buying, should I sell? Or will I regret it? I feel torn. That may sound corny, but it's true.

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Out of all of the basses that have came and went over the last 14 years, I have always made a point to keep my first bass (a Charvel CHS-4). I did put new tuners and pups in it and it still sounds great.

I know I would regret it if I ever sold it.

3. If you're already having trepidations about selling it I'd hang onto it.

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I sold mine about 2 years ago and haven't regretted it yet. I never had any emotional connection to it though, I always thought it was kinda crappy. If you do feel a connection to it, keep it, if you don't, toss it.

5. Sold mine and I regret it to this day - can you sell it someone that would agree to sell it back to you later?

6. You might really regret it later - wait for a while ... a long while, and see how you feel then. ;)

7. Gazzy

Gazzy

Mar 9, 2009
    You know what? I have a fender squier precision. Yet to get a better one, but once I do, hell no I so won't sell my other one!! Sentemental value bro! Plus it's a jazz, sweet! Dude never sell it.

8. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Get rid of the MIM.
    You will sell the Geddy easier, and you'd get double the money.
    I sell gear often that is easily replaceable. I try not to get too attached. Though I regret selling a few, I still have my first guitar from 30 years ago. The only acoustic I've ever had.
    I look at most instruments as just tools, and commodities. There's plenty more to be had, and I've always got GAS.

9. Gazzy

Gazzy

Mar 9, 2009
    How much did you pay for it?

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Was it a gift from your parents? Did you save your own money for it? Did you play your first gig with it? How do you feel about the instrument as part of YOU?

How much do you think it will fetch? Does that amount really matter for getting to school?

11. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Generally you'll wonder why you keep it around but I always regret ditching my first few basses.

12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

probably easily replaced by another. I am not trying to be a smart aleck.
    Now, have you had any super momorable gigs or auditions with it? Was it next to you in the Band Van (as we used to call it way back when) when you were having fun with some chick from the gig? Is it (in your mind) better than other MIM Standard Fender Jazz's? If so keep it.
    If it is trading stock as my dad called most of his guitars ( not his 'one armed harp guitar'), then sell it for the coin.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

13. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Keep it as a backup. it probably wont get you enough cash you really make it worth your while and you'll end up with a sweet backup and keeping the sentimental value.

I hadn't touched my first bass in years (squire PJ) but about a year ago I stuck some flats on it and it not fill a niche in my sound needs...

14. zippydog

zippydog Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    No playing...no staying!

Let it go.

15. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Sell it. Give someone else a change to learn on it.

16. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    Don't do that, if you do that, at some point in your life you will regret it.
    I'm the kind of guy who thinks "no playing .... no staying" too
    but my first bass is not concerned with that, even if I don't play it that much now!

17. sofnlo

sofnlo

Dec 29, 2004
    lex,ky
    NEVER SELL YOUR FIRST BASS!!!!!!!!!!!! (even if its a wishbass)

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I sold my first 4 basses. I wish I still had them all.

19. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    no

20. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    It can be nice to have two around. In case you want to teach someone a few licks, or in case your main bass goes in for repairs.

I think MIM's are a good value but part of that is poor resale. Unless you absolutely need $400 I would say keep it. :D