1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

show me ur cutlass basse

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pierreganseman, Apr 2, 2009.

1. pierreganseman

pierreganseman

Aug 23, 2008
    Brussels
    hi guys, how many cutlass music man were produced??

if you have one!! puit the pic up!!

cheers

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Not very many were made. Here's a pic of a Cutlass II I had, it's a graphite-necked Sabre.

[​IMG]

3. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    ^^ that my friend is a beautiful looking bass. How's it sound?

4. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Not all that great, unfortunately. I've had a lot of Sabres and it was one of the worst sounding. It weighed a ton and was very bright sounding. Looked really great though. I sold it to a collector who was happy to get it.

5. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    Dave Pomeroy featured a Cutlass I in BP magazine in January 2008 in a Retro-Rama column. He says estimates vary, but as many as six hundred Cutlasses might have been produced.

I bought my Cutlass II used in 1994. It has been my main player since then. Mine has aftermarket Bartolinis and a Hipshot D-Tuner and missing foam mutes but otherwise appears to be original.

It is VERY hot in 3 of the 5-way switch positions. The bridge pickup soloed sounds a lot like a Stingray, while the neck pickup sounds much more like a P bass. I often use both pickups together which sounds very thick, rich and full (not scooped like a jazz bass).

The other 2 settings on the 5-position switch involve single-coil bridge, and single-coil bridge with both neck coils, but I don't care for those 2 settings, which are thinner sounding with less output.

It has excellent sustain and brightness, even with flatwounds. It has more than one setting that sound fantastic for slap with roundwounds.

The neck width at the nut is about a "B" width -- halfway between P neck and Jazz neck, at 1-5/8".

There is no truss rod, but it does not seem to need one at all. The minimal-relief neck has remained stable for me at any string tension. Right now I have D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Mediums 50-105 on it, which is a very high-tension string and I have the action very low with virtually no buzz. I think I like it best with flatwounds.

Attached Files:

6. fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    And a picture of the back. Original case too.

Attached Files:

7. fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    I am going to bump this, because I am hoping to hear from somebody besides me who loves this instrument for the way it sounds and plays, not just because it went out of production early.

8. bassballs_dk

bassballs_dk

Aug 1, 2009
    Denmark
  9. fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    That's a GREAT clip!! :bassist: