Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show me your Hohner!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stubbs, Aug 31, 2004.

1. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    particularly would like to see BBass VI or Headless Hohner basses. put em up! :bassist:

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Me and my Hohner B Bass VI circa 95/96.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sold it to someone on here, but, Hohner B2Adb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    BUMP for more Hohners!!

5. Hohner B2A (wish i could find a DB detuning bridge for it, but it's close to falling apart now)

I put an extra pickup in it, and replaced the volume pots with 3pos toggle switches.

6. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    1969 or 70 Black Widow Fretless. This was a copy of another bass of which the name I can not remember. I think it was a Mosrite design and might have even been made in the same factory as the original. I sold it not long ago, maybe a little over a year. The bass had a great vibe, but poor build quality and sound.

[​IMG]

7. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    197? Hohner P - bass.

[​IMG]

This thing is very well made. Six screws on the neck plate looks lust like my Stingray. The bent-tin bridge has the usual six screws plus two more for good measure. The neck is thick and beefy and the truss rod takes the largest allen key I have. Despite this the bass is a lightweight. The fretboard is beautiful. A scripted 'Hohner' is inlaid in abalone on the headstock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was worried about it having a soapbar humbucker on it. I'm not worried any more. Tone ranges from thick angry growly to piano-like with the tone up. This might sound nuts, but with the tone up it has similar qualities to the Spector 35CS in my NS2000. With it rolled down it's got the same warm thumpiness as my Fender P, except a bit thumpier. This thing sounds great.

[​IMG]

Hardware except for bent tin bridge seems precision and generally top-notch. The tuning machines and metal knobs seem precisely crafted, as do the bridge and pickup covers. Somebody refinished the body in kind of a rough matte translucent black lacquer and it has since seen more wear, but it's old, and for 122 bucks, who cares?

[​IMG]

I took the bell and truss rod cover off, gave the truss rod a clockwise 1/4 turn and lowered the bridge. :)

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Mark can I ask what did you think of the B Bass VI I've seen a few over here and they are quite cheap. I was wondering what they are comparable to.

Thanks

9. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Well, I had a B Bass V 5 years ago. And frankly, I think it was not the best bass you can get. The bridge was very crapy, saddles would unwind and change their position because of string vibrations, active electronics would produce very "empty" sound, very generic, cheap generic sound I mean. Passive wasn't special either. Oh and the B string was as good as a loose rubber band - it was barely usable if at all. On the positivr note - the neck was really sweet and the fretwork realy good. Maybe I had a lemon, but I will never in my entire life get another Hohner.

Just my 2 cents.

VK

10. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    hahaha I didn't think many people had Hohners beyond harmonicas, much less post em. great pics guys, beautiful basses. Ever since i saw JoJo Garza of Los Lonely Boys playing his BBass VI i loved them. thinking about getting one, i hear nothing but great reviews about newere hohners. keep 'em coming!

Dave aka stubbs

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Personally I thought it was an excellent bass for the money. The tweakable preamp and active/passive switch were very pro features. The only issues I had with mine were with the bridge and control cavity. Changing strings was very difficult as I recall and the messy control cavity made changing the battery dangerous. I popped several wires that had to be re-soldered during the time I had it....

12. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    my Hohner Professional J (fretless)

I'm no Jaco, but I wanted to add a fretless to my collection for playing around with. It has been a lot of fun. Has nice sounding pickups and a nice heavy body with lots of sustain. The bridge is the only thing I'm not crazy about. I might have to change it out to a Gotoh in the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I remember my Hohner being a really well crafted instrument. Nothing about it seemed cheap. That could be in part that it was modelled after a Steinberger and had Steinberger bridge/tuners etc, which are very high quality.

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I too had one of those.. There was a point in time when all I played were Hohners.. My 6 string a J style fretless like yours and B2B-AD Steiney copy... All were good basses.

15. Stondis

Stondis

Feb 12, 2005
    England
    Well it's not a headless or BBass VI, but this is my Hohner, a J Bass Professional in FOAM GREEN!
    I love this bass! It was my first one (I learnt on my dad's Jazz Bass copy) and I got this for X-mas in 1994 (because I liked the colour) I also have an Epiphone Thunderbird and a Dean Rhapsody 12 string but keep coming back to this one, it's dead easy to play and loud as god.

16. It aint no headless or anything else either but it was my first 5 string and it was great!!! :smug:

[​IMG]

17. ph0rk

ph0rk

Feb 24, 2007
    my black b-bass V was $100. Sure, it needed strings and some relief taken out of the neck, but $100!!

still have it, been meaning to put some flatwounds on it, I love the string spacing.

18. had a:
    hohner J bass
    P bass
    now I have HRB deluxe and like it a lot.:bassist:

19. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    This is my B2A fl bought in something like '89 when I was 15. My second bass.

[​IMG]

Gruesse, Pablo

20. Modo74

Modo74

Aug 7, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
    I had a black Jack Bass, second bass I ever owned.

Ahh, back in the day :)