1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Show Us Your Piezo Only Basses - No MAGS allowed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassHappy, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Hey good folks of the TB

OK, so admittedly basses with piezo-only pickups have to be the minority of all minorities. Seen over the years as a relative staple of acoustic bass guitars - piezo's are rarely seen on electrics - usually only in conjunction with our beloved "mags".

We like to show off our mags - to include single coil, dual coil, quad coil, split coil, humbucker, soapbar, mudbucker, darkstar and even lipsticks.

Pickups have even worked their way into our mythology and folk tales. Custom pickups have become legendary and luthiers whisper in closed quarters about the type and power of the magnets, the thickness of the wire, and the exact number of windings it takes to create the perfect output. Certain custom Hi-A Beasts from the '70's have been rumored to sell for over $3500 each.

But how about looking clean and transparent - and still sounding thunderous and powerful? The technology has improved an awful lot. It's a debate but I prefer them and yes, I have been around the block more than a few times.

How about the Piezo only basses? Maybe it's time for them to get some love. I find the whole subject fascinating, but I might be alone over here. With the exception of the Rob Allen and Rick Turner fans, I doubt if we will see more than a few posts. Acoustic basses more than welcome!

More than happy to get it started with a few of mine:

Killer V Bass.

Killer Roscoe1 Web.

Killer Roscoe2.

Killer RA Web.

KillerAlien.

Front.

Tbucket.

My Fender hollow P and J twins are now done, glamour shots of the complete basses to follow:

20160201_182536_resized.

20160201_162828.

Let's see yours!!!!!!

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. 3b69749d-7b3d-4347-a906-70858ef46fb6.

BassHappy likes this.
  3. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    IMG_0123.JPG

Only piezo bass I have, other than the homebrew piezo pickup I made for my Baby Bass out of a Radio Shack buzzer.

BassHappy and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Saw this Tune Bass Maniac reviewed in a magazine back in 84. Instant GAS but priced at a year's wage,government youth work program paid £16.20 ($20USA) per week, it was completely out of reach. In 32 year of looking I heard from 3 lucky owners. Australia,Italy & Japan. Even in their homeland of Japan this particular version is rare.

Last summer I finally got mine :)
    Maniac (2). Maniac (4). Maniac (6).

Ghastly, SakuBass and BassHappy like this.
  5. Hey Folks

I really think this is a solid topic for a great thread - so I will post a few more to see if we can get this going. These are not mine, thanks to all for allowing me to post these beauties here.

From Firecreek:

Firecreek Bass 1.

1_zpswp5pibbo.

DSCN1012_zps2aba795b.

From Rob Allen:

ra1.

7117eb09b4e88d991056c0026c308bd5.

Mouse front.

From Rick Turner:

turner1_lores2.

IMG_9929.

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 9.26.58 AM.

Let's see em!

6. SakuBass

SakuBass Lvl 6 Pixelpusher Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Turenki, Finland
    I am SO looking to get that bass, If anyone has one for sale, please let me know! My first bass was (and I still have it) Tune Bass Maniac. Very, very fast bass and a perfect neck for young, short fingers.

kodiakblair likes this.
  7. SakuBass

SakuBass Lvl 6 Pixelpusher Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Turenki, Finland
    What is the model of that fretless? Do you know?

kodiakblair likes this.
  8. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I have an added Mag pickup on my Rob Allen (so I wont post a pic). It's isolated on it's own circuit/preamp and I have to say, while it's a slightly different tone, the stock Rob Allen piezo and sound are amazing with a huge tone...... Love it!!

BassHappy likes this.
  9. @SakuBass

It's a Japanese Tune Bass Maniac from the mid 80's. Long discontinued I'm afraid.When Tune Guitar Technology in Japan went bust the Korean company then handling their builds took on the name. They are still trading today but an extended fingerboard like mine would need to be a custom build.

Msg me if you'd like more info.

10. Love this thread. I've come to think of the piezo as my sound. It really does sound and feel so much different than a mag pickup.

Does anybody have one of the new Ibanez Srh500 yet? I can't wait to try one.

BassHappy likes this.
  11. Here's one of mine.
    Ashbory style with a simple piezo transducer.

2mdvyv.

superdick2112 likes this.
  12. upload_2017-5-2_12-21-48. upload_2017-5-2_12-24-9.

13. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I don't own these,but these are two of my favs.

Tune WB-5
    wb5-ob-1__36794_zoom.

Stradi Symphony
    Stradi.

BassHappy likes this.
  14. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    My pair of Jackson Custom Shop Concert Basses, sold many years ago (my apologies for the crappy-looking scan of an ancient pic).
    They sounded very much like a standard Concert Bass with EMGs, but with more clarity & sparkle on the top end.
    I wish I still had the pink bass - it was a guaranteed conversation starter with the ladies of the 80s..

oxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi290.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fll276%2Fsuperdick2112%2FTigerJacksons.

BassHappy likes this.