Show Us Your Rob Allen Basses Part IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 4, 2013.

1. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Sounds fantastic!!!

RodRy and Christian Houmann like this.
  2. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Owner of a new Deep 4 here. I'm instantly in love with the bass.

I have read through a ton of the posts in this thread, and there are a lot of opinions on the best amps/cabs to use with a Rob Allen. But, most of those amp/cab discussions are several years old. With new amps coming out all the time, I would be interested in some recent opinions.

I am looking for a really warm, organic sound. I would also like to avoid a tube power section, because tube maintenance and reliability annoys me. I would also like my RA rig to be slightly minimalist. One guy here got a beautiful sound from a Noble preamp right into his computer. So, I am considering something as minimalist as a Noble preamp into a internally powered Bag End 1 x 15".

What I know is that my current rigs just aren't perfect for the RA. I have a Mesa Subway 800+, with two subway 2 x 10" cabs,...great rig, but not right for the RA. I also have a bunch of Trace Elf 1 x 10" neo cabs (no tweeters) and a Quilter Bass Block head. Also nice stuff, but not perfect for the RA. I have an EBS Drome 1 x 12" combo, which probably handles the RA the best. But, it's still not the warm, rich sound I want for the RA.

So, I am going to get rid of a bunch of the above mentioned gear, and go on the quest for the perfect Rob Allen amp/cab/combo. Let me know what you experienced RA guys think is the ultimate Rob Allen rig.

Thanks!

EDIT: If I should be posting this in a new thread, let me know. I don't want to railroad this thread.

RodRy likes this.
  3. tedw

tedw Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    Congratulations on your Deep 4. I always have felt that RA basses sound fabulous through Acoustic Image combos. I'm also really happy with the sound through my Wayne Jones powered speakers and preamp. But Wayne Jones equipment is super expensive and I got mine at a very low discount (when he sold our his US inventory). I also have a Noble but I use it as a DI on stage and not into a powered speaker (I did not really like the sound going into the Wayne Jones powered speaker). The Bag End seems too woofy to me (sorry I don't know the right way to say it...I had one once and it seemed to intense to me). That's my two cents. Of all my comments I think the Acoustic Image suggestion is the best. I'm sure others will have excellent ideas as well.

foothilla, RodRy and bdgotoh like this.
  4. allenwoot

allenwoot

Apr 25, 2016
    looking to purchase a RA, please let me know if anyone's looking to sell theirs!

5. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    Re-reading your note, you mention warm and rich as the target. I get it. Can you tell us setting you normally play in?

foothilla and RodRy like this.
  6. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Congrats!
    In regards to your amp question, my favorite is probably not up to your task, but I'll mention it here. I really love how my Mouse sounds through my Phil Jones Double Four. It's a tiny amp, and works only for acoustic sessions (although it could be mic'd), but it sure sounds warm, neutral, and pleasant to me.
    :thumbsup:

foothilla likes this.
  7. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I don't usually have this many opinions.... another combination I liked was an acoustic image series III head (I still use mine) with Epifani UL-110 speakers (they don't make them any more).

foothilla and RodRy like this.
  8. I still have my Phil Jones Super Flightcase. At the time, it was probably the only small amp that could do it justice. My gigantic Ampeg SVT 4 PRo rig was nice, but a little overkill for most gigs.

RodRy and foothilla like this.
  9. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for your insight! The Acoustic Image stuff seems to come highly recommended, and I have been checking their stuff out, and I haven't yet gotten onboard with their new, untraditional cab/combo shapes. I am more draw to their old, standard shaped gear. But, I haven't ruled them out.

I'm surprised the Bag End is woofy with the RA, being that it's a sealed cab I expected it to be pretty tamed.

Do you only like the Noble as a stage DI? Why do you not use the AI's direct out on stage?

RodRy likes this.
  10. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Small acoustic bands,....most commonly acoustic guitars, drums, sometimes a piano,.....small to medium sized gigs and recording.

RodRy likes this.
  11. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    The PJ Double Four seems to be loved by acoustic/electric bass players (of all brands). I was thinking about grabbing one of these as a living room amp. My wife appreciates when I keep the heavy artillery out of the living room.

RodRy likes this.
  12. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I use a GK MB Fusion head in to acoustic image speakers for my RA Deep 5.

RodRy likes this.
  13. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    Sounds like fun!

I was playing at a small church around 2002 with an SWR Baby Blue (2x8's) and felt I needed something more, so I tried a non-powered Bag End as an extension speaker. It was just too intense for me. Strange to say, but I could feel the notes too much and it kind of hurt my head. I took it back to Bass NW and that's where I got the term "too woofy for me" which is what they called it. They traded it for an Aguilar GS112 which did seemed smoother to me. I was playing a Mike Lull 5-string at the time. I think I bought an MB2-5 around 2005 and then stumbled into Acoustic Image gear (again at Bass NW). First I got the just a Clarus head with Epifani speakers. Then, I got over the form factor thing at bought an AI speaker. Truly... that was a great sound. I got my Mouse around 2008 and used it at church. I did use the direct out of the Clarus on stage for around 5 to 7 years. It was great! Then, thanks to a fellow TBer, I got into Mike Lull P4s and PJs. The church went to a silent stage policy.... no more on stage amps, at least for bass players. I was always curious about tubes and tried a Monique and then the Noble. For me, the Noble along with a P4 or PJ going direct to the board and using IEMs is amazing! And - perhaps more importantly, the sound techs at church love the sound of the PJ with the Noble (this almost assures that I end up well-placed in the mix). Rob's basses work very well with the Noble as well but I've mostly played the PJ at church from 2014 until March 2020 when you-know-what happened. The Noble would work great at home and that's why I bought the powered Wayne Jones speaker. Then.... that was so cool and Wayne was offering fire-sale prices to close his US inventory. Soooo... I ended up buying another speaker and a preamp. In my little practice room, I just like the sound of it. But when I go back to what I love to do - playing at church - I will most likely be taking the Noble and PJ...Although my favorite guitar player loves the Mouse, so he might talk me into it.. That's a SUPER long answer to your questions. I'm really not an expert... those are just my experiences. Thanks for inciting me to take a trip down memory lane. Enjoy your new Deep 4... Incredible instrument!

foothilla, RodRy and Jeff Elkins like this.
  14. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    the bagend cabs are rear ported.

RodRy and RyanKinBK like this.
  15. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    I don't own a Deep model, so I may not have enough context, but I'm surprised that you aren't able to find what you're looking for with the Quilter. It's my go-to amp for small and medium gigs, especially when I'm looking for a warm organic sound! (Interestingly, I also have Mesa gear for larger gigs) Maybe it's a different speaker you need?

I pair mine with an AI Upshot cab that I purchased for theater pit work. The up-firing speaker enabled me to keep the volume low in cramped quarters with other musicians, but it turned out to also work great on stage for up to 150 person shows/rooms with a small jazz band or bluegrass group, on electric or upright bass. Bonus: The components fit perfectly into my old Targus backpack with room for cables, a folding guitar stand, and a handful of pedals!

RodRy likes this.
  16. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I used the Double Four with my Deep 4 for awhile. I found it a bit ... mushy. It did not sit well in a lot of band situations and I struggled to hear myself compared to other things.

17. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    So what are you using these days?

18. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    I've posted about it quite a bit on the boards, but a combo of the Broughton P-15 pre, a Jule Simone 500 power amp, Torpedo CAB M+, and for a speaker, currently a MAS 1/6, but I may swap that out. After the Double Four I used a Henriksen Bud and while better than the Double Four, wasn't what I was going for.

Ric Vice likes this.
  19. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I went back a page found that. Thanks. Is the MAS 1/6 powered? I wonder how that would work with the Noble. 1/6 seems soooo small, but they don't make speakers like they used too (they've gotten better).

20. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Nope, not powered.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021