1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SHOW YOUR DISTRESSED FINISHES!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JIO, Nov 5, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    :)

2. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Nitrocelluose laquer. Just normal use.

JIO likes this.
  3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Sweet, I’d love to see a shot with the covers off.
    I seem to remember back in the day about 4 out of 5 60’s and 70’s Fenders for sale were either stripped or sprayed over. We lost a lot of good ones.

Jim Carr and JIO like this.
  4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm pretty sure that a mid to late 90's MIM Black Label Precision. They had a "Squier Series" screen printing on the headstock as well. The neck, neck plate, and tuners back up my thought process. The pickups, nut, bridge and pickguard have been changed. I have a modded '94 black label, and it's my main P bass. They have my favorite neck profiles on p basses, somewhere between a jazz and an older p bass. You might have a nice bass heading your way.

vdub75 likes this.
  5. Overend Watts' (Mott the Hoople) '63 Thunderbird...one sexy Gibby.

42347346_2146063822073208_3260743015118929920_n.

Rocksolid, Hues, juancaminos and 5 others like this.
  6. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I've seen pics of this fine specimen - it being a '63 is extremely rare. I know because I owned one for 4 years before it was stollen in '78. (which was... distressing) Didn't know this then, but you never see a '63 for sale or otherwise - mostly '64s and some '65s. Many T-birds suffered neck-breaks at the nut (most I've seen for sale have had the surgery) and although many were repaired - some were just parted-out.

My '64 II which replaced the stolen '63 a month later in '78 - still have it and occasionally gig it. I added the Seymour Duncan Hawkbucker in '87 and made the ebony/abalone pg shortly after getting it. Most all the dings are mine as it was a 'closet queen' when I bought it. (have all original parts and case) Recently added a (tb'r) Scott Dasson Badbird bridge for proper intonation and cut a brass nut for it - the original bone nut was spaced irregularly! (from the factory) 1964 quality control!

fullsizeoutput_c6d.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Garret Graves, ICM, Hues and 2 others like this.
  7. This was a pretty distressing finish... :eek:
    sptdw6014_670.

JIO and Microbass like this.
  8. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    TomP. Built for Tom Petersson....Painted purple on the original finish by Nikki Sixx....

ELynx, JIO and God's Favorite Bass like this.
  9. Pirated from the intergoogle box. I would happily offer 1of my 2 kidneys and add another bridge to the rattle rattle drawer. 42586769_10212957148947855_6286167228811313152_o.

10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Awesome colour - looks more eggplant (a fave of mine) than purple. Nice maple under it though... :thumbsup:

Hues likes this.
  11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Yes, the ubiquitous BA bridge... :rolleyes: nice bass otherwise -

God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  12. A really clean 66 that's at my favorite dope man's shop. She's a beauty at Dave's in LaX, WI. 190749F. 190749. 190749C. 190749E.

13. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Another great find GFB. Thanks.

Exactly the bass my mother gave me in high school. Payment for helping build her waterfront dream home one summer. Sadly I sold it a few years later when all my gigs were on upright.
    Lesson learned: never sell a good bass.

14. I think that's why I pine for this one...had a 66 I got from Dave years ago on the cheap as it had a poor refin. I was painting some guitars for him and got it in trade and resprayed it Oly white. Beautiful bass but I sold it and have regretted it ever since. Transition logos are my favorites.

CaseyVancouver and JIO like this.
  15. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I agree! :thumbsup: As everyone here knows.., (or at least a few who've followed this tread for awhile!) I love my '66 P. It's a very special bass, but in general, 1966 is a special year for me - it was the year I bought my first bass guitar and in retrospect, it just so happens to have been a great year for music and art and industrial design. Many times admiring something (architecture, furniture, car design etc) - I realize it was produced in 1966. So to own an awesome '66 P-bass, and a partial (body) '66 dot/bound J (equally awesome), for me is part of understanding and weaving into the synchronicity of what shaped my life. As in, as a young impressionable teen - what was going on around me. I feel pretty lucky in many ways related to this reflection. The world was a pretty expressive place that year in ways both good and bad - but there was no indifference then, when people dared to try a different tact. Time for a re-boot via now.

Owned one of these also - looked pretty much exactly like this one ('66 122s Volvo Estate Wagon) Mine had the 'deluxe' factory chrome roof rack. Loved that car.
    '66 122s Volvo wagon.

sneha1965, Bugeyed Earl, ICM and 3 others like this.
  16. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Bowen Island, CANADA
    Those old Volvo wagons are RAD.

JIO likes this.
  17. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    '66 is a great year for cars and basses.

We also had a '66 Volvo, a 122S sedan with manual trans, in Volvo's vague blue grey colour. My Swedish mother bought it, her first new car. She was so happy. For 13 years my only car was a '66 Corvette coupe. Used to put studded snows on it for the snow days. Shot two rooster tails of snow while driving :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    JIO likes this.
  18. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    This beauty is priced at $5 large. Seems like a great value compared to old guitars or uprights.
    A guy could enjoy it for years and not take a hit when selling. Kind of like my '66 Corvette, I bought it for 5 grand then sold it for triple years later.

JIO and God's Favorite Bass like this.
  19. You're right. Very reasonably priced for such a nice specimen. Dave is the most fair guy out there IMO. Done business buying, selling, trading out paintwork, etc. with him for 30+ years and have never, ever been disappointed in any transaction.

CaseyVancouver, JIO and ScarfFace like this.
  20. @JIO the Claw pt. 2...forgot how damn big the things were till this popped up. That bass is regular human size. 42788012_309894463136632_1118405034292281344_o.

JIO likes this.