Show Your SOVIET Basses - also, some GAS advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt O, Oct 14, 2014.

1. DA

47.8%
  2. Nyet

31.3%
  3. морковь

29.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    I saw the words "Soviet bass" in a thread yesterday and I think it may have triggered a potentially hazardous GAS attack. I love to collect things from the former USSR, I just hadn't considered that there were electric basses to be had. I'm in trouble now. Didn't find much on the topic by searching here on TB, no club but a few pics here and there, so I started banging around on Google. I found some good info, but nothing that answered a few specific questions that I have.

So, here goes (and I appreciate any comment from anyone on the topic, even the snark!).

Do you own one or more USSR bass? Please post a pic!!!

I understand that Soviet basses are often considered unplayable, is that true?

If not, which models would you say are more playable in general?

Which models are just wall art only?

I understand that Soviet basses sound like absolute дерьмо, is that true as well?

What would you consider to be a good / safe source to purchase from?

I am also a photographer and I have collected Soviet Leica copies in the past, most of which I acquired on eBay straight from the Ukraine without much trouble. All Soviet basses currently on eBay are in the Ukraine. Given the current дерьмо that's going on in that region, would I be crazy to hit BIN? (other than the fact that these basses play like дерьмо)

Any U.S. sources?
    The ones for sale on websites seemed super over priced to me.

Provided I get into the acquisition phase of this attack, does anyone have any interest in starting a club?
    Or is there a club already that I didn't find?

Hey thanks, and nostrovia!

2. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
  3. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Jah Wobble Fan and blindrabbit like this.
  4. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Poll added.

starmann likes this.
  5. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    Actually, it's this Bulgarian Orfeus I'd like to have:

Orfeus%20Rocket%20bass%209O%20%20lb%20.jpg
    If I had that bass, I'd so completely rule.

pacojas, Jah Wobble Fan and Matt O like this.
  6. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    OHHHHHHHHH. I'm without words. This is going to be a bad GAS attack.

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    You said it! Do you remember this thread?

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/soviet-tonika-bass-exploded-pic-heavy.766389/

Cripes I had a MAJOR GAS attack back then. Luckily I never saw anything remotely Soviet for sale or I'd own it now! (Especially check out the YouTube video of the dude playing the bass.)

8. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    I lived in Russia for three years. Only two things I collect from Russia
    - Watches (they have some decent mechanical watches. The one in my avatar is obviously not Russian, but Swiss)
    - Vodka (never lasts very long)
    I missed out on the opportunity to pick up a bass.. Duhh.. What was I thinking.. Must've been too busy with #2 from the list!
    Regards
    Mark

9. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Hey did not see that thread in my TB search. Searching TB again, it doesn't appear until the second page. I was in too frantic of a GAS related search process to even notice a second page of results I guess, ha. Looks like a good one, I'm heading into it now.

Haha! Yes, #2 on the list could lead me to forgetting about all other lists entirely... Like, 1. wake up, 2. take shower

I have a Soviet tank watch that i picked up in the early 90s right after re-unification while in Germany. Still keeps great time. Man, there was so much cool Soviet stuff flooding West in that time period. Oh well.

10. I owned a Russian car and my impression was: very well designed, very well built, very poor materials.

11. The site linked to in the very first response has the most info on these soviet basses as I have found anywhere. Poke around there for a bit too.

-Jake

12. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Was it a Trebant?

13. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Yep I've been poking around there. No real notes on playability or sound though...

14. That`s about all I can find. I`ve only every talked to two people who actually played them. One said it was "meh" and shrugged his shoulders, the other said if it was his he would have lit it on fire. So, probably not too good of players, but damn they look cool.

Matt O likes this.
  15. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    That tonika rocks! Now I want one...

Matt O likes this.
  16. So build one! It would be a cinch after your last couple builds. You could even make it playable :)

AltGrendel and mapleglo like this.
  17. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I have never seen a Tonika bass before, I didn't even know they existed.

Totally. When I was in Hungary in 2000 I was seeing all kinds of Soviet stuff.

18. Rumbledore and ever like this.
  19. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    *must resist the urge*

JIO likes this.
  20. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have a Vostok (Boctok), I collect watches as well as basses, and it is a good watch. IIRC they used former Rolex machinery. Vodka is also good. No experience with their basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021