Show Your SOVIET Basses - also, some GAS advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt O, Oct 14, 2014.

1. DA

47.8%
  2. Nyet

31.3%
  3. морковь

29.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    Nothing wrong with russian tubes!

anton72 likes this.
  2. Than it must be not Russian but Ukrainian one from Chernobyl nuclear collapse area :D

3. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    I flew to Kiev in 1990.....still alive!!

anton72 likes this.
  4. Sure. I was born in a city where one of the the biggest tube plant in Russia was, mostly busy with defense ministry orders. They kept on tube production after the rest of the world moved to solid state transistors and then one guy from USA realised that this plant had enough capacities to produce tubes for amplifiers and contracted that plant. EHX produced Big Muffs there too.

5. Yeah 1990 was probably safer time for trips to Kiev than now!

6. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    You're right, but it's East German. Very Soviet. 2 stroke motor, body made from compressed garbage, top speed of about 60 and it takes 5 minutes to get there. I want one of those too.

7. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    In the soviet days if they knew you were western they made you pay in Hard Currency at outlandish prices! I am sure any former Soviets can attest to the " opulant" hard currency stores and hotels that Americans were made to use. My buddies and I hooked up with Mafia types who needed us to get out of the country.....They had millions of rubles and could work the system like you cannot imagine in this day and age....We bought all Soviet clothes and shoes and kept our heads doen and mouth shut. Our visa only allowed us to travel 40 kilometers from our dorm. We flew all over the place.....took the overnight train to moscow twice.....Jail cells in every train station....KGB on every train and plane.....we bribed our way all over the country!!​

8. LOL, that´s right. I remember you could glue the parts together if you had a crash. And the smoke trail that thing had.

9. And 10 minutes to get out :)

Matt O likes this.
  10. That is very true. Unfortunately from what we see now Russia's gradually going back to that age....shame on us.

11. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin

Jul 31, 2014
    Germany

JOLANA are not from Russia but from the
    Czech Republic

anton72 likes this.
  12. True. It was considered a good instrument in Russia before we first tried Fenders:)

13. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    As a Soviet Studies major......I concur. Scary stuff.

14. ferdinandstrat

ferdinandstrat

Oct 7, 2014
    I heard good things about AMT but I am talking about the old soviet gear, the Russian Muffs are legendary on their own.

anton72 likes this.
  15. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Yep, I am perhaps using an overly broad brush with the word Soviet. Perhaps Soviet Bloc or Iron Curtain would be better. I certainly didn't mean exclusively Russian. These were made in a communist bloc country before USSR dissolved, right?

Regardless, I want one.

16. Right. It was called Warsaw Agreement countries, Soviet antipod to NATO.

Matt O likes this.
  17. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Do they play OK? They look pretty well crafted. Also, P/J in a Ric body... Very interested in this bass.

18. They play okay but tone sucks IMO cause of poor electronics. They are very well crafted as Czech craftsmen have long history of violins and cellos built but not sure what wood is used. If you upgrade electronics they may sound better I believe.

Matt O likes this.
  19. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    That sounds like a tale that needs to be told!

20. I think it would be hilarious to gig with one of these.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021