Show Your SOVIET Basses - also, some GAS advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt O, Oct 14, 2014.

1. DA

47.8%
  2. Nyet

31.3%
  3. морковь

29.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Jeebus us that is one ugly bass ! Looks like they used puke for a pick guard.

gebass6 and wmhill like this.
  2. PUKE:The new torty. Goes with everything.

3. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I think I saw that bass advertised on the "Worker & Parasite" show.

Worker_and_Parasite_by_spacecoyote.jpg

JIO, AngryPig1, Joe Kyle and 3 others like this.
  4. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Hey now, that puke green communist tortoise shell is a powerful GAS contagion over here.

bassbully likes this.
  5. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    I just discovered the Jolana D-BASS. This is getting to be a very gaseous. Must have.

IMG_5665.jpg

nerkoids and PullThePlug like this.
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    At one time I collected guitars from Russia they were quirky, inexpensive and looked cool hanging on a wall since then I've noticed some of the prices have been creeping up which is funny because they really are an acquired taste I only have one guitar left from that collection because it was the least terrible. :)

7. Basses are usually terrible and mostly unplayable. I have 3 Jolanas (I'll show them when I get back from a job) but I've never considered them "Soviet".

Check the webpage called "cheesy guitars" for more GAS ;)

8. Actually the Trabant is a German car, if not mistaken, but definetly not russian.

anton72 likes this.
  9. My very first bass was russian, don´t know the model or brand....all I remember it was 3 colour burst. The electronics were buzzing like....., the hardware was crap, it weighted a ton.... I gave it to a friend of mine and never heard of it anymore. I would love to have it back...you know, my first bass.

anton72 likes this.
  10. Really? The pics make these basses look totally unplayable… The ugly colors don't help. Sure, I'm American, but I spent a great Easter with a wonderful Russian family of musicians in NYC one year in the early 90's. All the kids could play something (violin, piano, singers, etc.). I felt like the Russians had a better love of music than we Americans. I get why they came to America, now. Much better instruments! They also had real film of the homeland that they showed me on a wall in the children's bedroom. I had a blast as the whole family seemed to be artist of some sort.
    fnord!

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think Jemaine from FOTC uses a Russian bass yeah?

12. Soviet\Russian basses are the most unplayable and ugly looking stuff I've ever tried. I'm Russian and I was born in USSR so I am legible to speak:) I've had one at school time for just a little while until I could find something more adequate like Czech-made Iolanas and Teslas. These were a bit better but still a crap. Once I bought my first Ibanez I've never looked back since....after I bought my first Spector I realized that Ibanez was just a starter :)

gebass6 likes this.
  13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Best. Simpsons. EVER.

Coolhandjjl, gary m and shawshank72 like this.
  14. Bigmuffdiver

Bigmuffdiver

Mar 28, 2014
    Belgium
    If you played music during the USSR-era, you were deported to the goelag... or so I heard..

15. No. I played music and lived in USSR. If we go further to specify the sort of music than I can say if you played rock music you could be pressed by propaganda and soviet mass media which most commonly resulted in public offences but nothing serious. But if you sang songs with anti-sovietic content you could put yourself in jail for sure.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  16. ferdinandstrat

ferdinandstrat

Oct 7, 2014
    My dad told me how crappy Russian instruments were, were the wah wahs poopie too? He always told me about them but not their quality.

17. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    I was lucky enough to do a semester of College at Lenigrad Polytechnic in 1990. Just before the walls fell.....As anyone from the former CCCP can tell you it was a crazy time. I collected watches, ( mostly raketa....all fell apart) pre revolution coins and artifacts ( totally against the law to posses) and art. I was in the Soviet Union before hard currency was allowed. I was able to fly across the country for 3 dollars. I could have bought 100 basses for 150 dollars if there was a way to get them out!!

i saw many shows and performances while there.....the best bands played western gear.

You cannot imagine how powerful dollars were on the black market in a country with modern technology for the most part and corruption at EVERY level. Madness.....I had 1000 dollars to spend in 12 weeks and the entire economy was geared for a salary of 10 dollars a month!!!!!! I have so many great stories.....and pictures. Madness.

18. I played one once. Got radiation sickness and vomited for a week after playing it. Nyet. Never again.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    pglaser01 likes this.
  19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Is it made from potatoes?

20. I haven't heard about wah wahs made in Russia. Do you mean this modern AMT Electronics stuff or something made in 20th century? They only assembled EHX Big Muffs in the city I lived, those old green "Made in Russia" ones.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021