Shroeder "Mini" 12" cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 4, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

figured we could use a "different" thread on the ol' Shroe's. ;)

was perusing brian's "the Low End" site, and came across the Mini 12" cabs from NAMM. lovin' that front flightcase like latch door. :cool: but, how's the low B'ness? weight? volume? any idea on pricing?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Having heard many of Jorg's other cabs, I am also interested in hearing from those who have used the Mini 12.

Imagine that, Joker and I both involved in the same thread asking about gear! ;) We're like two hound dogs on the same scent!

Later, Tom.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Under the "CUP" posting prices by a Commercial user is against the rules.

contact any dealer to get the pricing. I am waiting of images and specs to overhaul Jorg's site (soon he says ;) ).

I believe Brian has a PDF price sheet @ but I haven't looked in a while

if you search the mega thread for "Mini" there are a couple guys with them already
  4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I've got a set here, actually arrived today, you guys are welcome to come down and play through..... or meet me in Dallas this weekend ;)

To answer your question,the B is tight, I have played single 12's in small boxes that didn't handle the B well. This are very tight and focus.
  5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Wow... I wonder how that Mini 12+ would sound with a Bag End S15D and a Gk 1001RB-II?

Hmmm... where are the specs on it? I see it's 500W @ 8ohms and 16"x16"x16". Anyone know the response?
  6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    Its a front panel made to inset into the face for protection. Jorg had a few customers wanting a flight ready mini 12 cabs so he built them and decided to offer them to customer's.

Since the mini 12 is well below the aircraft weight limit, you can fly with them with ease. The Front Panel gives the the protection and they are also available with metal corners, hence the word "Flight Ready" as a flight case.
  7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    It breaks the 50 Lbs mark which is generally the max before you get charged. Some are 40 Lbs.
  8. Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    what's the weight? I couldn't find that info on the web site. How does it compare against, say , a berg 12?
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx for the info, brian. btw, what's the frequency specs for the little guys?

hehe, we're just stone cold GAS'ed. ;)

and while i'd love to sit down with a nice cup o' joe and wade thru the entire Shroe thread, any users wanna comment here?
  10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    Hey man, sorry, I don't have the freq. for the cabs. I know Jorg is having a bunch of updates done over the next days and weeks.

Brennan, I won't state manufactures names, but since you did, reread my first ....... But thats not to say that there aren't a lot of great cabinet builders out there. Some just work better for somethings then others.
  11. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    recieved my mini 12 w/horn saturday and had a chance to use it in church sunday with a focus.i opted for the 4 ohm was more than enough for that setting.very tight and punchy and handles the low b no with all of jorgs other cabs this one too is very loud for its size and sounds suprisingly warm.the same titanium horn as in the other schroeders for smooth highs.
    ill have it out this weekend on bigger gigs and to see what this thing will do.i can easily carry it with one hand and my focus and bass over my shoulder so load in will be cake.i would love to hear a pair of these together.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I would love to hear reports on how the mini 12 sounds with an upright:)
  13. That's actually my mini 12 with the front cover that Jorg made for me to use for touring. That one doesn't have a tweeter to keep it as light as possible. It was just completed last week and wasn't at NAMM.

I have a regular mini 12 with the tweeter and it's a nice sounding though pretty mid-rangey small cab. It has better cut through and dispersion than the bergie HT 112 but the Bergie sounds a bit warmer & sweeter in an acoustic setting if you are in front of it.

I use the mini 12 on top of my 1210 for a great stage rig that provides lots of audible bass all over the stage (and club). These angled speaker cabs diffuse and circulate the sound really well.

14. Haven't tried it yet. I pick it up from Jorg next week in LALA.

It's probably less crisp & punchy without the tweet for attack. I just wanted it as easy to move as possible. I only saved a pound or so, but figured without the tweet & crossover it would be more immune from damage from getting tossed.

I've tried to get other cab makers to do this for a few years. Jorg is the first guy who listened.

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder

40 – 20 khz, 100db SPL @ 1w1m

500 Watts RMS, available in 4 & 8 ohm
  16. HI Jon
    Great idea. Yep Jorg really goes the extra mile for sure.
    Question, although you don't have it yet, maybe you could comment either now or after testing... how would the 1210 compare to two of the mini 12 cabs say one with and one without a tweet ?? Thanks in advance TIA.
  17. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    What are the decibel levels relative to average at those 40hz and 20khz ends? I really like everything I see, but it always makes me a bit wary when a speaker cabinet is said to "respond" from 40-20khz, but with no relative sound levels. I'll assume that those are the -3dB points, but correct me if I'm wrong.
  18. I'll try the two mini-12s together when I get the transporter home.

I've been using the one mini-12 for my practice speaker the past week, and it's certainly got a lot less fundamental than the 1210. It's middier and the sound seems to come from all around. That swirling aspect and the mid voicing might make the pair of mini 12s the ideal stage monitor when working with a PA, in that you can hear the bass well all over the stage but it doesn't project much fundamental out into the house to muddy or beat against the PA.

19. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    A pair of 1x12's (sort of a 2x12, right?), especially of the Schroeder variety, would seem to make a decent replacement to the 1210, would it not? Or would it be louder?

Only thing though is that the price of one mini-12+ (or so I think) is relatively close to a 1210, right? So two would break my budget at this point. But I guess you are paying for the modularity, portability, and flexibility options though for the pair, which is understandable.

Anyone got a picture of two stacked up on top of each other? That would make them 32" tall x 16w x 16d, right? What a cool mini rig that would be...

20. Thanks Jon,
    That's interesting. Sometimes I have experienced cancellation with our system. I've been adding some 100hz on my Ultra and it seems to help some when that occurs. I'm getting a nice start on a collection of 112 cabs is why I asked. I plan on trying a varitey.