1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttle 9.0 update

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, May 4, 2010.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I should have known that my clip with the Shuttle 9.0 through the Berg cab would create some sales... suffice to say, what I thought was a satisfactory inventory level on the Shuttle 9.0 is now GONE! :eek:

I've got a bunch more 9.0s on order, but they're shipping from CA so I'll be without for the next 5-6 days. I'm still happy to take orders for that head in the meantime, just please be aware that I won't be shipping them right away. Sorry for any inconvenience!

2. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Man that's great ain't it. ;)

Just Imagine how many Bergs you're gonna sell :D.

Stock got low yet? :smug:

:D

God Bless, Ray

3. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    My Berg stock is just the same, AND I've sold a handful already. How did I manage that, you ask?!? Drop shipping straight from the factory in MA is a beautiful thing for everyone involved! :bassist:

Of course, I DO have a big rig show 2 weeks from now... so I'll probably need to get another NV610 in stock soon :ninja:

4. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    You could make it a NV412 and compare 'em :bag:. Take both to the gig, best cab wins?

:ninja:

God Bless, Ray

5. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Take BOTH to the gig?!? So says the guy who doesn't road his own stuff :spit: :D

The roading end of it is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger today. That and I have to sell three cabs to pay for it, but I can do that after the fact (shhh!!).

6. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas

thanks for the update--i'm still trying to decide if i want to grab another micro head or just lug around the svt--the 9.0 is on the top of my list simply because i really liked the 6.0 and it fits in my gigbag pocket...but i keep hearing great things about the tc rh450, so i haven't made up my mind

as far as the 610 goes, i'll admit it's harder to load in and out than my old 810 because it isn't tall enough to tip and slide--but it fits in my jeep, so i'm happy

7. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    This coming from the guy who has loads of Boutique Gear at his disposal and lugs a 40lb+ power setup because he won't "compromise" his tone.:eyebrow: Hey man, I'm in Georgia but.......:smug:

Roll up man style and get that hernia proper:D. I've had four, and you get used to em after the first "double" hernia:D

Look'n at it this way the NV412 goes lower (slightly). It has a 50 watt advantage in spec RMS and it won't be your "feet" you'll want rubbed.

Hey, Baby 12..... You kick butt, but I's yo daddy. :smug:

And if you and Jerry can get one 112 to sound THAT good, I figger 4 oughta get me loud enough that my suckage would be "overcompensated" by sheer volume.

God Bless, Ray

8. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Does your SVT have a tube power section? If so, I'd have one of the micro heads around just as a backup, if nothing else. Big, heavy tube heads have a way of getting tossed around (just because of the sheer effort required to move them), and tubes don't like that. :( :help:

The Shuttles are great, and they'd give you a different tonal flavor. In that Berg clip I did, I thought the Shuttle 9.0 did an excellent job of making that Roscoe tone sound even more Roscoe. Your 6'er should sound great through it.

I think the TC head might be closer in flavor to the SVT. It can get a little grungy if you ask it to do so, and it really kicks in the low mids.

So, for me, I'd ask myself if I wanted a backup that sounds like my main amp, or do I want one that does something different? There's no right or wrong answer...

9. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    yep, it's an early '90s SVTII, and although i'm careful with it, it indeed gets bumped around a bit just because of the sheer mass, that's for sure

i still haven't had the chance to hear your recent clips, but i'll make it a point to listen tonite, your clips are always good because i like your playing AND they are good indicators of the sounds of the gear, imo

the flavor thing is why i'm leaning more in favor of the 9.0--i really loved the sound of the 6.0 and found the eq options just right for getting the midrange content that i like...the 'low-mids' kick of the rh450 is what has me really interested, but i admit that the bells and whistles are keeping me a little shy of the amp, even though it seems to be reliable and easy to use

realistically, i could use a backup that fits in my gigbag for sure, and the different flavor would be a good thing i think because as good as i hear those tc amps are at doing the 'vintage' thing, i really don't see one doing it as well as the old SVT...and i also really liked not carrying the big amp around when i was using the 6.0, saved me a lot of time with load-in and out as well as room in the vehicle

thanks for the comments, it helps, and i'm sure the clips will help as well

:)

10. Obviously I LOVE the 9.0. It's become my absolute go-to, to the extent that I'm thinking of buying another just as a backup.

Following up on some of Heath's comments...since I own both the 6.0 and the 9.0, hopefully I can add a bit of reinforcement here. The 6.0 is a terrific amp, IMO...when used with Shuttle cabs. Paired with one - or two - 12" Shuttle cab(s), I absolutely love it. Great sound, amazing portability, and plenty of power...for the right environment. I use it for practicing, rehearsals, and small bistro/restaurant gigs. I have used it on much larger gigs, and it still sounds great - especially running both cabs. Plenty of lows, ample headroom, and a mid-happy sound that really cuts through the mix and presents the character of the instrument running into it.

Dislikes with the 6.0.... I don't care for this amp driving any other cabs. Epifani 10's, Aguilar 112, and Bergantino 112...just doesn't do it for me. You can certainly EQ in some of those missing lows, but I don't like the end result...just not natural sounding, for lack of a better description. I also don't like the 6.0 with my more aggressive instruments - namely my Sadowsky M5 and MTD. Very sterile sounding, IMO, with a little too much 'clack' and not enough 'oomph'.

The 9.0, on the other hand? It just works. Those same cabs mentioned above...bada boom. Every instrument sounds great through this amp. Granted, I'm not trying to drive huge cabs, but I've played some pretty big rooms and outdoor events with this amp and it doesn't feel as if it's even broken a sweat. I just giggle at the sound, especially after load-in. Something this small and light shouldn't be able to do so much. :D

11. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    thanks for the additional insight Jerry--your endorsement of the 6.0 is one of the things that helped me go that route, and if the 9.0 is a little fuller in the lows while still retaining much of the overall character of the 6.0, i'm thinking i'll get along with the amp well :cool:

12. I'm no Jerry, but the 9.0 made me ok with selling my DB750.

13. Tone Meister

Tone Meister

Dec 9, 2009
    NC

Wow! You needn't say any more.

I am about to try a 9.0 after test driving an EBS TD660, which sounded excellent but didn't quite have the power I had hoped.

14. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music