1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sick of being a quitter

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaDrew2112, Aug 4, 2012.

1. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    That's it right here. I'm sick of not being able to have the self discipline in order to accomplish my goals. But being sick of it doesn't necessarily change the fact. Does anyone have any advice (besides not being a @#$) on how one acquires the perseverance? I'm not screwing around and am completely serious. I'm fully ready to change but I'm worried I'll revert to my quitter self as I have done in the past.

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Do you have patience?

3. mtdmind

mtdmind

Apr 17, 2012
    I used to try many things and quit for lack of discipline. There is usually a reason for that and it helped me to talk to a professional to help me understand myself.

4. Maybe you have ADD. Do you start something and after a while get bored with it? If so, does that make you feel guilty and makes you think you're a quitter? Are you able to hyperfocus when you need to? mtdmind is right, maybe you do need to see a professional.

5. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Well, I guess I'll chime in since I have the night off and have some advice. I've been in sales my entire life and I've had to fill myself up with alot of positive reinforement(aka b.s. ) in order to maintain. My advice is for you to tell yourself whatever you have to in order to keep on, keepin on. Whether you have to set priorities or keep things interesting by changing things up alot. Make it more of a priority and remove the word "quit" from your vocabulary for a while.

6. Draw inspiration from others you admire. I see from your screen name you are a Rush fan. Did you know when Caress of Steel came out (their 3rd album), they almost broke up? It was so poorly received, and concert sales were so bad they dubbed it their "Down the Tubes" tour.

What did they do? Went back in the studio and recorded what some people call their best work, 2112. ( I bring that up to make a point, not start a discussion about their best work.)

My point is, you may just need inspiration. Look at what you want to achieve, and see if you can find someone who has already achieved that goal, find out what they did and see if you can apply it to your situation.

7. Get a pair of Nikes.

NikeJustDoIt.

8. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    stratovoni, i probably have ADD but isn't that just an excuse like everything else? Twocagar I love drawing inspiration from people i respect and admire but my efforts are fleeting and I do get bored with things much quicker than I really should. I seem to pursue things with great passion until I hit some kind of hiccup and once i lose my momentum I struggle to get it back and move on to something else. But this doesn't reap any success, it just makes you a "talented beginner" at a variety of things which is completely useless in my own brutal assessment.

9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    There is alot of wisdom to this. Its not thoughts that create actions. Its repeated actions that create your feelings and repeated actions only that will rewire your brain to accept that particular behavior as natural.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Maybe set some small goals for yourself, achieve those, and then set some bigger ones. Build up some positive momentum to set yourself up for success.

-Mike

11. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Just remember: A jack of all trades is a master of none.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Is the issue that you are lofting too many varied "goals" into the air? In that they are unrealistic to achieve in unison, and hence give them all up due to that reality? You gotta start by looking inward and asking if the goalsets are honestly attainable in the first place. There's many times a difference between "wants", and "can-do's" as to your personal ability. BUT, if you want it bad enough, you can find a way every time.

You should list all the goals you want to achieve, and then rank them by difficulty of completion, long term satisfaction, and any things needed to achieve or avoid to succeed.

Then start chipping away. Stay focused. Write down and thereby legitimize what you might otherwise ignore as progress. As Mike said, tackle little things out of the way so you can get a sense of accomplishment, and build on that. when the list gets thinner early, the easier it is to keep going.

13. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I think if you have a medical condition like ADHD [or may have], then it's not an excuse but a reason. It's why it's a medical condition - it's something beyond your control. I have various mental health conditions which has caused me to miss some of my goals. I don't use it as an excuse, but more as an explanation. If I could, I would happy give away my mental conditions, but there they are and I have to learn to live with them. You can't expect someone with a broken leg to do a 100m sprint, and so by the same token, you can't expect to achieve the same as someone else who doesn't have mental health conditions.

14. Thank you. I was going to say something similar. ;)

15. Not always. I play bass, compete as an amateur cyclist, and brew beer. :cool:

16. Throw in pron star stunt double and you have ALL the bases covered. :D
    To the OP: Just quit being a quitter- wait, um... :atoz:

17. Don't worry, honey. I use a stunt ****. :D

18. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    No one perseveres by themselves.

For me, I've discovered that removing distractions, making a larger goal into many reasonable, achievable goals, and teaming up with a social group that has a similar goal are vital to my success. The last is the most important for me; think of why AA works:

a) you're working with others who both need your support and support you in a shared goal.
    b) it becomes habit. Habits are what build everything.
    c) the group offers a structure and a formula for success, there's a reason for that formula, it's because it works, and most of us won't stumble upon it on our own.
    d) Experienced people can offer insight and advice and foresee issues before they arise. Wisdom's great to have.

Find something that will have like minded people involved for whatever it is that you're doing, be a it a track team, a birdwatching society, or a musical collective. Invest in them and they'll invest in you.

19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Great. So now you're even going to quit being a quitter?

Just kidding.

Some things need quit; some things don't.

20. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not social in the sense that I like small talk or whatnot but I find it astronomically easier to pursue something with other like minded people. Right now my two main concerns are getting in shape and practicing guitar more.