Sid Vicious could actually play bass...kinda.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IpseDixit, Sep 14, 2013.

1. i was actually just pickin' at ERIC31 in post #3. :D

while i wouldn't say "great", it's next to impossible to make a p bass/svt sound like crap!;)

barach713 likes this.
  2. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    Despite all his childish bravado and on stage posturing, it must have been pretty daunting for him underneath it all. After all he'd only been playing about 10 months in total at this point. Talk about 'thrown in at the deep end'. Mind you it ain't very complex music.

3. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    Yeah it really wasn't but again was he really a bass player? I don't know but he's a punk icon and I'm not complaining.😝 I love the sex pistols.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    The Pistols changed my life. So happy to get to hang with Steve a few years back. Great guy.

5. ErwinGrey

ErwinGrey

Dec 4, 2013
    Actually, I think it's the session bassist playing behind the curtain, as the Pistols were rumoured to have done.

When you watch the vid, the bass keeps playing while Sid flourishes his hand away from the strings. Embarrassing.
    Check this out, around 18:17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooIz_Di2w3g

I think Johnny wanted Sid's vox turned down when he called out to the sound man. Cuz Sid couldn't sing either.

6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    There's an ancient interview with Dee Dee Ramone from some music rag (International Musician, perhaps?) where he talks about how Sid Vicious used to call him up all the time and play the Wouldn't It Be Cool If We Formed A Band Together? fantasy game.

Dee Dee kept trying to blow him off, but Sid would persist, and often ask "If we were in a band together, would you still want to play bass?" Whenever Dee Dee would reply "Yes" Sid would say "That's good, 'cuz I wanna play guitar."

7. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Inactive

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    Sid wasn't as bad as people make out, but it is convenient to say he was terrible as it allows The Sex Pistols, and punk in general, to be filed away as a band/genre.

8. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    I can't understand how "punk" got so popular. What is the appeal of being a whiny, ****** person with little to no talent? It sounds like that's what being punk is all about.

5StringBlues likes this.
  9. Lobomov

Lobomov

Aug 2, 2013
    Rebellion against the establisment. Taking back fate in their own hands. Spirit of the times. Hard times back then and youth felt ****** over by the previous generations.

If you're into The Police, you'll read stories of how they'd hide their chops in order to get gigs.

10. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    "kill someone, kill yourself". Gripping.

Great comedy around here. I love it when you guys go into your "all music is great no matter how bad it is mode".

Now, stop it.

5StringBlues likes this.
  11. pfox14

pfox14

Dec 22, 2013
    My understanding is that Steve Jones played all the bass lines on the Sex Pistols albums and Sid never did. He was that bad.

roscothunder and Squittolo like this.
  12. djaydjay

djaydjay

Mar 14, 2010
    ^^ IMO the idea is more "all emotion-carrying music is art". A song can be at the same time meaningful and bad, or impressive but meaningless...

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I's SP fan but its sad to me that during the time they were around (my teens) My friends and I thought of them as a joke band. We used to hear about them and read about them in Cream magazine and they were made out to be like a stupid pop boy band.

maybe it was us but we kind of dissed them although secretly I loved them. We worshiped Sabbath, Kiss, BOC, Aerosmith...that was rock to us.

Thanks for this link. I will listen to it all with earbuds when I can. I love the history and mystery of the SP.

14. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Ha I'd go see the Sex Pistols any day over Grand Funk Railroad. There isn't any other four musicians in the world that could make it sound like the Sex Pistols. But I'd bet John Ritchie could play the bass line for "some kind of wonderful" haha. Sex Pistols WERE great.

15. As a die-hard Ramones fan I never cared for the Sex Pistols. Sid used to follow Dee Dee around like a puppy dog. And if there ever was a bigger drug addict than Sid, it was Dee Dee. But Dee Dee could play.

Herrick likes this.
  16. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area

I kinda thought the same thing when I saw his picture of GFR.

17. Yeah, Sid was not that great, but could play a little when not strung out.

That was the main issue. During the American tour they pretty much kept him clean and his playing sounded better for it (which is why he carved "gimme a fix" into his chest. Slight touch of withdrawal there..)

According to John Lydon, after the sound check before the actual show, Sid disappeared for a bit with Malcom McClaren and came back stoned.

Which helped lead to the implosion after the show..

18. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

Sid was in the hospital and only played once on never mind the bollocks.

barach713 likes this.
  19. Ridiculous. He slams a note, holds it, flails his arm, and then starts playing again, with no other bass notes sounding in the interim.

Haters gonna hate.

Nyama74, Squittolo and barach713 like this.
  20. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Inactive

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    Not bad for a Grand Funk Railroad fan. :D

GFR are typically lampooned as being such a basic and brainless act that Homer Simpson likes them. "Ah, but Mel Schacker was a brilliant and innovative bassist" I hear you clamor.... instantly activating "all music is great no matter how bad it is mode".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021