Sid Vicious could actually play bass...kinda.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IpseDixit, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    First of all, given my medical challenges, I find your words hurtful.

no-ears.png

I didn't mean to suggest Winterland was Sid's high-water mark as a player. It certainly was not a great moment for The Pistols, either. Steve seems to be struggling to hold it together. Johnny is clearly miserable. And Sid stinks as usual, but at least he is not so dominant in the mix that the tapes could not be mined for an extract as featured on the Warner Borthers Sampler LP, "Troublemakers," which contained an extract from "No Fun" with no loud, marring bass clams.

R-456496-1150814416.jpeg.jpg

I think the audience tape from Dallas gig earlier in the US tour has a lot more verve, and is much more representative of the band and the tour. But Sid is contributing so much noise to the tape -- horrendous clams, plugging and unplugging noises -- that these tapes fail to meet the sort of minimal professional sonic standard necessary for a major label release.

R-8737097-1470452618-2155.jpeg.jpg

If you've got a link to a superior bass performance by Sid, by all means link it. I'm happy to be enlightened
    on this issue.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I guess I can understand wanting to thank everyone individually.
    13 posts, that's 65% of a whole page :wideyed:

3. roscothunder

roscothunder

Mar 17, 2019
    There are some clips on Youtube from the early in 77 when Sid first joined where he was actually trying to play, people always use them to make the claim he could play but he's playing at a beginner garage band level. They were from their European tour mostly. Steve and Paul have both said Sid was actually trying at that point.

Winterland is awful, Sid's playing is awful You can hear him OK but that's about it and hearing him isn't exactly a positive IMO.

John was really sick at Winterland and so was Steve. Steve was having tuning issues, especially on that Firebird he used for some of the show.....and the sound mix was diabolical.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the Pistols were sheer genius and Sid was part of it, plus he gave good bass face lol
    upload_2019-3-17_9-31-32.png

5. roscothunder

roscothunder

Mar 17, 2019
    Sid had almost nothing to do with the music. They were huge before he joined, after he joined they just became a circus.

They were a great band with Matlock, without him it just stagnated.

GregC likes this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that's part of the genius cos it was all awesomeness personified from start to finish

7. Sid was a huge influence on me.

To never listen to punk.

8. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Sid was SCUM!He once murdered a cat by hanging it.hes disgusting. Nothing but a junkie and a poser. He made an attempt to play bass but he was far from a bassist. He could barely play. Why and how people can even talk about him in a positive manner is just ridiculous. I wish death on no one, but that dude was a worthless member of society. Nancy was no better. Both NOTHINGS. He was a boy, a child. He was no punk. “ punk rock “ is a term that has multiple meanings and poser isn’t one of them.

9. jdthebassman

jdthebassman play to live live to play Inactive Supporting Member

sid played at the bass

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021