Sid Vicious could actually play bass...kinda.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IpseDixit, Sep 14, 2013.

1. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Came across this today I love Sids rendition of "I don't wanna go down to the basement" As one of the commenters says: This is pure gold !!!

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Lemmy wrote that Sid didn't know his way around a bass, but he was more Punk than any of the other members of the Pistols.
    Lemmy considered The Damned to be the real Punk act in England.

bassrich likes this.
  3. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Punk has some of the best musicians and bassist out there. The punk name itself can at times get a bad rap. Sid sucked, plain and simple. Anyone can pick up a bass hit a g,c, and d note and call themselves a bass player. Their is a difference from a bass player or a person who plays bass and a bassist. The instrument itself is an art just like piano, or guitar, harp, or even opera vocals. You can never convince me that Sid was a decent player. He had the image, could strum with a pick and hit single nots but the technicality of the instrument, I don't think he knew one bit about it.

GregC and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  4. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Sid didn't play bass at those gigs, Arthur Kane did.

76015928.jpg

roscothunder and mpdd like this.
  5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Didn't hear the tape yet, but I've seen footage of the actual gig, and used to have a Warner Brothers compilation LP that featured the version of "No Fun" with which they closed the gig, and, yes, Sid is pretty much hitting the notes (although his playing is still flat-footed, and Jones and Cook are as usual doing all the heavy lifting). The Winterland gig was of course the last of the tour, so Sid benefitted from the experience he gained earlier on the tour, and this is definitely the best he ever played or sounded. I used to have vinyl bootlegs of other shows on the tour, and the show at Randy's Rodeo in Texas boasts some of the worst bass playing ever committed to disc. Thankfully, someone eventually turns off his amp (or perhaps Sid pulled his own cord by hopping about).

descendent22 likes this.
  6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I was a massive Pistols fan, and a Sid fan too, but yeah, my dog plays better.

barach713 and descendent22 like this.
  7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I think your interpretation here is too generous, for John tells the sound board operator, "Turn Sid down, he's putting me off" (10:37), right after Sid has served up his fifth or sixth clam in a row -- this in the first 90 seconds of the song ("Pretty Vacant"). I don't think Johnny was 'put off' by the monitor level but by Sid blowing every major change. Just awful. Consider how Sid bungles his initial entrance in the same song, fumbling the downbeat and costing Jones and Cook all the tension they've built in the intro.

I don't think this tape builds a case for Sid as a passable bassist, but rather reinforces my belief that he was best enjoyed with amp off.

8. Killed_by_Death

Apparently Sid slept on Lemmy's couch for a while, while he was dating a gal from "The Slits".
    I'm surprised he didn't learn anything during that time.

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i think at certain points on the tour he was probably in withdrawal and not feeling so fly

10. thomcat79

thomcat79

Apr 9, 2014
    scotland
    I think it was all about image with Sid, and the fact we're talking about him all these year's later it's fair to say it worked :D

11. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Sid was a poser. The fact that he tried to be a punk makes him a poser. He's nothing more then a mascot for a punk. A true punk is the guy that could be wearing regular Levi jeans and a white t shirt that stands for what he believes in and rebels and doesn't give a crap who or what likes it. A punk is gunna do what they want despite future consequences. Being a punk isn't a guy with a Mohawk, or a person that wears leather jackets, or a person that cuts themselves on stage lookin for attention. Yeah people talk about Sid and other then his name and the fact that he was part of the sex pistols, I think he was just nothing more then a statistical dead junkie.plain and simple. That my opinion and I know people will disagree but I said my peace

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You're one of those "rules for punk" types, eh? Boring.

Nyama74 and A.K. like this.
  13. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Um actually, if you read my post it's quite the opposite. Rules of punk? I woulda never said anything.

14. Killed_by_Death

I love how people jump into a thread with an artist's name clearly in the title, just to bash them.
    Yeah, Sid wasn't so great on bass, and he was definitely being made a poster child by Malcolm McClaren, but even the Ramones had an image they cultivated.

15. barach713

barach713

Jan 17, 2016
    nope, he actually started playing bass before joining pistols...its dumb how everyone think he saw bass guitar first time when he joined the band...sid and nancy movie doesnt help...he actually wanted to play and he learned ramones songs by ear..but problem is his heroin addiction, if that was not the case he would be much better, however for a punk band pistols were he was pretty awesome, also without him i wouldnt be where i am today...rest in peace sidney(oh besides, there was some gig in sweeden or somewhere north, he was loud and sounded pretty spot on even doing fills, so i guess when 'clean' he could rather do the job well, he bumps couple of notes here and there due to his jumping around but still, he played pretty much like any begginer today yet he didnt have net to look it all up)

16. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Love them for the noise they created but I didn't know tuning a bass to a guitar could be so hard.

17. barach713

barach713

Jan 17, 2016
    this dog tho ahahha so cool

18. barach713

barach713

Jan 17, 2016
    i doubt it...watch the whole show..if someone played it for him it would be impossible to know when he is going to stop or bump yet the sounds are correct for his movement...thats him playing, noone else

19. barach713

barach713

Jan 17, 2016
    there is one better playing, sweeden or norway not sure anymore but he was loud and audiable doing fills here and there and actually sounded spot on...but he is more audiable on winterland so most people refer to that as proof he actually played

20. barach713

barach713

Jan 17, 2016
    but his singing was pretty good, i love 'come on everybody'

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021