Side markers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RoadRanger, Apr 28, 2012.

1. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Just wondering how common it is to NOT have side markers on a fretted neck? I just eBay'd a frankenbass that has a maple/maple 80's Hondo neck which does NOT have them. I put them on with a Sharpie for now :rollno: .

2. dylanrlarsen

dylanrlarsen

Mar 13, 2012
    Most of the time they do. But i've seen a couple without them.

3. It would be cool not to need them.

I have several basses that I can't see the dots in the dark. Not good.

However, you can get fluorescent dot markers as sticky dots and they work well

Davo

4. A little off topic... I was having some pretty significant problems seeing the side dots on my heavily reliced Pedulla... rosewood finger board and very tiny white side markers.
    I hit the drug store and found some "french tip" nail polish, on sale for $1.99. Hit each of the markers with the polish and man, I think I could see the side markers in complete darkness now.
    Would I do that to a bass in pristine condition, probably not... but I bought the bass to play bars and it's worked out well so far!
    Fishheadjoe

5. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    Hate to admit that I need 'em. With ageing eyes, dark stages and vanity (don't want to wear the glasses), they were getting hard to see.

My first solution was to put strips of white label on the side at the marker positions. Worked fine. On my main bass (Mike Lull), I sent it back to the factory, and Mike put on larger markers. So, now I'm good.

Markers can be changed, and it's not that expensive.

js

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021