Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*sigh* another distortion thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vosk, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

Can you tell me a pedal that gets something like that huge saw sounding Distortion Tim Commerford gets in Rage Live? Instead of fizzle or crunch this is just well... like a big fat mean saw :bassist:

Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Buzz Saw Distortion: distortion reminiscent of a saw missing teeth rather than a tube amp being overdriven. (Reflective artist Tim Commerford)

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well his rig is ridiculous. Lemme hook you up with some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So on that note, I will reccomend you some pedals.

The distortion pedal he used on all of their self-titled album and I think on Evil Empire is the ORIGINAL Marshall Guv'nor. The vintage black one with the red lines. I have one and I love it to pieces. I've also heard the Black Cat Octave Fuzz does a great Timmy C sound but I haven't ever gotten my hands on one of them.

So my advice? Get a Guv'nor for overdrive, and then or distortion, either get another Guv'nor with the gain cranked or a tube distortion of sorts.

3. +1

Guv'nor is a great pedal and very vesatile too plus it can nail the timmy sound that you want

GET ONE NOW

4. guvnor in conjunction w/ aphex punch factory, and a clean amp underneath that is pretty darn good if u want timmy c stuff...use a 3 amp setup for my distortion too, and thats what is in my 3rd amp...my 2nd amp is ehx black finger and a modded copy of a maestro brassmaster, which also can get u timmy c like distortion if u do it properly

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well I dont know if it will give you the "Timmy C." sound, but I know the hyde side of my Jekyll & Hyde can get really over the top, and with the EQ knob you can get it pretty ballsy to.

6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    We don't need another distortion thread, unless of course it is about Timmy C.

I am in.

http://www.musicplayer.com/lounge/setups/tim.htm

One of the things that you kind of have to pay attention to in the magazine articles that talk about gear, is when they talk about the pros using multiple amps. I mean, back when I was a guitar player it was well known that SRV recorded multiple amps with multiple mics, once at least with one little champ in a bathroom, and then the mixed sound of all that is what when down on the album. When they show multiple amps, do not think that they only play through one at a time.

Often the sound you are looking for is not one pedal through one amp.

Just for fun, split your output to go to your bass amp and your friends guitar amp. Put your sound into your bass amp clean. Put your sound into the guitar amp through two distortion pedals one after the other. Put those speaker cabinets side by side crank up.

This may not be the Timmy C. sound you are looking for, but it may start you on a path for YOUR sound, using stuff that you may have around you right now.

7. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Great point. The article about dUG Pinnick illustrates this, with him describing how he uses a Marshall guitar amp along side his bass rig. I think the vast majority of pros these days use a separate amp for their distortion, alongside their bass rig.

8. Ok... is there an in production pedal that gets that "buzz saw distortion"

I don't want to dish out $300 for a pair of guvnors.

9. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    You don't have to dish out $300. You could get 2 easily for about $180 I think.

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    EHX Hot Tubes can get some pretty growly distortion...

11. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I can think of the guy from Nickelback, and Chris Wolstonholme from MUSE. I'm getting a (used) Tubeworks RT902 to use as a second pre-amp just for distortion.

12. got my guv'nor for £30 i think probably $50 ish

13. last one actually situated in Australia sold for $180 AUD, about 134 USD, or 76 GBP.

14. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    I bought my fully working original Guv'Nor for £10.50!

15. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I noticed that Timmy C has a "hum eliminator" box.

Questions:
    1) is that the same as a Noise Suppressor/Gate (I assume not...)

2) if not "1" then is it a "ground lift" kinda thing (which I do assume)

3) if not "1" or "2" then what in the h#!! is it :confused:

16. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005